S3K crashes host too often :(

Official support for: krakliplugins.com
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I love the sound of S3K! It's so gritty, smeary and frown-inducing i'd love to use it a lot in my productions. Sadly it crashes my host, Live 8, for reasons that i don't all understand.

When i start a new project and drag S3K into it, i can play around with it for hours and no harm done. It's when i save this project and load it back into the host that strange things happen.
Sometimes it makes no sound at all, sometimes my CPU goes up 50%, my host needs a restart to behave normal again.
I noticed this behaviour when i used 2 instances of S3K if i recall correct.

Like i said, i want to use this synth but i can't atm as it makes all my projects into 'possible' crash/unstable/cpu voodoo kandidates.

Can you please fix it or help me find a workaround? Cheers!!

WinXP SP2, E8400 duo core, 2GB ram, Live 8.0.3

zeep wrote:I love the sound of S3K! It's so gritty, smeary and frown-inducing i'd love to use it a lot in my productions. Sadly it crashes my host, Live 8, for reasons that i don't all understand.

When i start a new project and drag S3K into it, i can play around with it for hours and no harm done. It's when i save this project and load it back into the host that strange things happen.
Sometimes it makes no sound at all, sometimes my CPU goes up 50%, my host needs a restart to behave normal again.
I noticed this behaviour when i used 2 instances of S3K if i recall correct.

Like i said, i want to use this synth but i can't atm as it makes all my projects into 'possible' crash/unstable/cpu voodoo kandidates.

Can you please fix it or help me find a workaround? Cheers!!

WinXP SP2, E8400 duo core, 2GB ram, Live 8.0.3
Maybe S3K is a Synthedit-built plug-in that doesn't react well to a multiple-core processor, when more than one instance of the plug-in is used in the same host?

You might want to keep two projects for Ableton Live 8, each with one instance of S3K, and render those parts separately. That's what I would do. ;)

Of course, if you love composing strictly with virtual instruments, and not with wave files, then it's not the best option, but it's a workaround. :)

Thinking about it, you could also try this: make a copy of the "S3K.dll" into another folder where you keep your VST plug-ins, but call it something like "S3KK.dll". Then try loading into your project that second copy you renamed.

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
Hi guys, after reading what you were talking about in relation to CPU's, I tried setting the affinity of FL Studio to processor 0 instead of both processor 0 & 1 and manaed to record a song I've been having "S3k Crashed while processing - Disabled" errors for a long time now, exactly the same error, I write something, runs fine, save it and later on it either crashes fl studio out when it coms to loading, plays a few times then crashes, or plays until I try and record to mp3 - then itll usually disable halfway or so... - setting the processor affinity to 1 cpu instead of 2 seemed to fix the problem, I could also save my file and close fl studio afterwards which was an even better sign.

Hope this helps? if you wanna check out the song it's called Where are we Going (original version) - it'll be the only one later today haha.

http://www.myspace.com/rythmiklove (http://www.myspace.com/rythmiklove)
Check out "Where are we going!" About to be Officially Released! - Demo available to Download NOW!
-> http://www.myspace.com/rythmiklove <-

zeep wrote:I love the sound of S3K!
So do I ! It's a little gem of a synth. :love:
zeep wrote: help me find a workaround? Cheers!!
S3K is a SynthEdit plugin and might suffer the well known multi-core processor problem, as mentioned by Francisco Cepero.

The best workaround would be to freeze your S3K track in Live after you have a clip grooving along nicely, then move on and work on another S3K track, freeze that when you have something laid down and come back to work on the first one, unfreezing it. You could build your arrangement this way without crashes, i would hope.

I gather that there is a new SE version being prepared which nukes this multi-core problem once and for all. Or is there ? Anyone know ?
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

zeep wrote:I love the sound of S3K! It's so gritty, smeary and frown-inducing i'd love to use it a lot in my productions.
I always felt that Ian has found a way to beam electricity directly into S3K's code. :hihi:
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

Which S3K version are you using. The version with the Sequencer was very crashy but the free version was a little more reliable.

rythmik_love wrote:Hi guys, after reading what you were talking about in relation to CPU's, I tried setting the affinity of FL Studio to processor 0 instead of both processor 0 & 1 and manaed to record a song I've been having "S3k Crashed while processing - Disabled" errors for a long time now, exactly the same error, I write something, runs fine, save it and later on it either crashes fl studio out when it coms to loading, plays a few times then crashes, or plays until I try and record to mp3 - then itll usually disable halfway or so... - setting the processor affinity to 1 cpu instead of 2 seemed to fix the problem, I could also save my file and close fl studio afterwards which was an even better sign.

Hope this helps? if you wanna check out the song it's called Where are we Going (original version) - it'll be the only one later today haha.

http://www.myspace.com/rythmiklove
How and where do I make the processor setting change in FL?
Maybe that will help on general cpu/stability issues I have.
Jim

Hi!
I'm using the free version from your website. Do you perhaps have time to give it a check with the Live 8 demo?

Return to “Krakli”