Minor MXXX Bug?

Official support for: meldaproduction.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I was just capturing some screen images for an MXXX article I'm working on. I noticed this anomaly - hopefully the image will get uploaded correctly with this post - haven't tried that before.

I loaded a preset I created into MXXX called Harsh Be Gone. Notice what's in the line right above the Controls group? It's the name of one of the included presets that came with MXXX. Maybe I omitted a title somewhere when creating/saving the preset, but otherwise this looks like a bug.
MXXX-HarshBeGoneEasy.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Hmmm, I'd probably need a full resolution picture, because I just don't really see anything :).
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

I think that dmbaer is saying the his "Harsh be gone" preset (as seen in the top title bar)is coming up with the "Sample 10 ... " name

I just tried it here with one of mine and that title bar says "No active preset loaded".
Last edited by DarkStar on Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
DarkStar, ... Interesting, if true
Inspired by ...

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaha :D :D damn :D
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

MeldaProduction wrote:Hmmm, I'd probably need a full resolution picture, because I just don't really see anything :).
If you haven't spotted it by now, look for "SAMPLE 10 - MODULATION USING FEEDBACK" right above the MP knobs.

I know, but I just checked and I couldn't make it do that. Is there something specific I need to do to simulate it?
Vojtech

MeldaProduction wrote:I know, but I just checked and I couldn't make it do that. Is there something specific I need to do to simulate it?
Hmmm ... don't know. I'll see if I can produce a repeatable case when I'm next at my DAW. Stay tuned.

Here it seems to save the (regular) preset name from which I start editing together with the final active preset.

OK, I discovered how to get this problem to happen. It's a little convoluted which is why you didn't see it and it took me a while to discover how to make it happen. If you pick something off the active presets menu when in "simple" mode, everything seems to be fine. But if you pick a preset off the other menu for presets (the only preset menu you can get to when in edit mode), you've got a good chance that the title above the controls will be the wrong one, even though the preset name in the MXXX title bar at the very top is showing the correct name.

Hope this helps.

Hmmm, is it possible that you used some factory active preset, changed it completely to create your MXXX active preset, but then saved it as a normal preset? That would make the name of the original active preset stored with the preset. After that you saved your active preset under some name, but then when you loaded the normal preset, the original name was restored, because it actually was the active preset name at that time! Is that possible?
Vojtech

MeldaProduction wrote:Hmmm, is it possible that you used some factory active preset, changed it completely to create your MXXX active preset, but then saved it as a normal preset? That would make the name of the original active preset stored with the preset. After that you saved your active preset under some name, but then when you loaded the normal preset, the original name was restored, because it actually was the active preset name at that time! Is that possible?
I have no friggin' clue! :D

Seriously, I still really don't understand the business of two preset namespaces fully, although I've learned to ignore the one associated with Edit mode and just stick to the active preset list. So, you're explanation is plausible but since I didn't know what I was doing in this regard, anything is a possibility.

But I will say that selecting a preset from the active preset list never causes the problem. Selecting that same name from the other list usually does. This goes for some of my later preset creations where I was more or less doing things properly (or at least I think I was). I can say that I rarely, if ever, started a new preset creation with other than "empty" from the non-active-preset list.

I do hope that information helps a little.

Then I think it is indeed it. There's quite no way to avoid that.

The idea is: Most people won't actually create active presets, that's quite complex business. Storing normal presets is quite different. So basically the active presets are like "plugins". While classic presets are indeed just presets (settings). So if we assume most people won't actually create active presets, then this will almost never happen.
Vojtech

If I understand what you're saying, then we need to start the creation of an active preset from other than a normal preset. Otherwise we get the name conflict.

Then one thing that would help - possibly a whole lot - is to have an Empty active preset that's part of the factory content. Does that make sense? In starting a new preset (as opposed to tweaking and existing one), we would nearly always want to start with a blank template. I mean, we have to start somewhere, right? Right now, the only option for that is to use the Empty normal preset, it would seem.

Hmm, I don't think it's so problematic - the name conflict occurs if you use classic presets together with active presets.

If you create a new active preset starting from just about any other preset, active or normal, once you save it and load that active preset, the name should be fine. The only case I see when the problem occurs is when you save your active preset as a normal preset, then it keeps the name of the last loaded active preset.
Vojtech

Return to “MeldaProduction”