Mdrummer - Tempo sync in S1

Official support for: meldaproduction.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm using MDrummer in Studio One. I can't find where to set it to tempo sync to the host (I'd expect it to do that by default). Could anyone point me in the right direction?
1.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

That's because it automatically synces to host, hence you don't have the tempo available.
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

As seen in the picture, the tempo in S1 is 138 BPM while the tempo in MDrummer is 120 BPM. Shouldn't they be the same?

It syncs all right when triggering 'loops' via midi, but not when previewing/building loops.

It doesn't update the view there. The hidden parameter is there simply because many hosts lack the "tap" feature, so you can exploit that, but other than that it simply always syncs. Note that in order to sync, the host needs to "play".
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

Since it seems this internal tempo is always used when playing rhythms from the MDrummer quick setup tab, I would like for this to sync to host as well. Is there any reason it shouldn't? How else am I supposed to sync tempo to host when previewing rhythms via the play button in MDrummer (quick tab)? It only lets me hear the rhythms in either 120bpm or tapped tempo atm.

There's a good reason - the tap :). If it would sync, then the tap would work for obvious reasons. Now if you hear rhythms at nonsynced tempo, then please let me know where. Note that you first need to enable playback, so when you open your project, it may sync after you run the playback in some hosts.
Vojtech

OK. I think i get the problem, finally ;)

It won't update the sync until a beat is triggered via MIDI. Now that I know that, I can workaround. MDrummer is kind of hard to get into, being a no0b like me.

Ideally, I'd have expected to just load the VSTi and play around in the "quick setup" tab with the correct tempo synced from start.

Hmmm, I'll check it out. But still, in most cases it just means you let it play, which is what you'll eventually do anyway :).
Vojtech

Is there any chance this design will be fixed once and for all? Every time I open MDrummer I have to spend 5 minutes reminding myself how the tempo syncing is actually working.

1) I know of no other VSTi where you actually have to press play in the host for the VSTi tempo to update. Why is this?

2) Not being able to manually enter the BPM is also very uncommon. The only option here is to use a tap button which is less precise and virtually impossible to 'finetune'.

The common design is to have a free valuebox where you can enter any BPM, and then a toggle button for sync on/off (which will grey out the valuebox and insert the host BPM).

PLEASE consider. Thanks!

I'll check about the initial tempo set, but sorry out-of-sync option is out of question, technical reasons. I wonder, why is this a problem anyways - when you open a project, you play a little bit, don't you? It's one keypress away after all.
Vojtech

Ok so a different method - I decided to allow the tempo to be edited. I miss that from time to time myself. But whenever you start playback, MDrummer gets in sync immediately.
Vojtech

MeldaProduction wrote:Ok so a different method - I decided to allow the tempo to be edited. I miss that from time to time myself. But whenever you start playback, MDrummer gets in sync immediately.
That's good to hear. I think that would be a nice feature.

Unfortunately I think I might have found a bug. In the rhythm generator the tempo is doubled when you hi the record button. I tried this in Reaper and Sonar(new Cakewalk DAW) and they both have this problem. The standalone works fine though. Also could you add auto sync to the rhythm generator preview. I like the ability to change tempos in the preview because it allows you to slow things down when recording beats in, but IMO it should default2 to the songs tempo.

Could someone else check this and see if the tempo recording problem is occurring on other computers.

I actually think this should be working fine now, not sure. Anyways I'm in the process of creating the beta build, so you'll get the first version today probably ;).
Vojtech

Chandlerhimself wrote:

........Unfortunately I think I might have found a bug. In the rhythm generator the tempo is doubled when you hi the record button. I tried this in Reaper and Sonar(new Cakewalk DAW) and they both have this problem. The standalone works fine though.......
Confirmed....and the only way to not have the tempo doubled is to have the DAW actually playing (doesn't matter when you hit the space bar...can be either before or during the record operation), but then of course the tempo will be the DAW tempo not the preview tempo.
In other words, the record function only works properly when DAW is actually playing (and record click will be at DAW tempo).

MeldaProduction wrote:Ok so a different method - I decided to allow the tempo to be edited. I miss that from time to time myself. But whenever you start playback, MDrummer gets in sync immediately.
Thanks! That sounds handy enough to me.

(The deal with this, in usability terms, is that I often quickly wanna bring up a drum VSTi to use as backing rhythm for jamming live, or when starting a new project. This is one scenario when being able to tweak the BPM quickly is very much needed. MDrummer has sadly never become my goto drum VSTi because of this impracticality.)

Return to “MeldaProduction”