FR - Missing File Error for Convolution/DrumEnhancer/etc

Official support for: meldaproduction.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I may have asked for this before, but it's just stung me really badly so wanted to explain a problem.

If you're using any melda effect that requires a file, in my case it was Convolution and Drum Enhancer, and the effect can no longer find the file, it will just ignore it and stay blank. This is to be expected, but the problem is that it is now impossible to find the file it was using because the plugin does not list it in any way.

As an example, rename your impulse response folder to whatever. Open a session that was using MConvolution. Open MConvolution and you will be presented with this:
Missing IR.jpg
In my case, I had renamed a folder of impulse responses to tidy it up. Then i open a session and I can't tell what impulse responses were loaded, so I can't easily repoint MConvolution to the files. Scary! Luckily I remembered what the folder was called previously, so I copied the folder in order to find out what it was using previously and manually repointed to the new location... but if I hadn't have remembered I would have been in trouble.

Ideally, a message would be displayed on the waveform display saying something like 'can't find file: D:/ImpulseResponses/AwesomeIR.wav' or something to that effect.

Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Good point
+1 for the error reporting message
DarkStar, ... Interesting, if true
Inspired by ...

Well, here's the problem - some problematic hosts such as ProTools cause huge problems when displaying popups when loading the project. I mean "crashing problems"!! So this one is complicated really... I don't think the reason is good enough really, I hate crashes :D.
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

Oh, I'm not suggesting a popup at all, that would be horrible. No, i just mean a text display in the plugin itself. Specifically in place of the waveform display. Just replace it with text saying 'X file is not found'. This allows us to fix it manually. Honestly, I dont care how or where it goes, just that we can tell what file the plugin is trying to find.

Let me put the problem another way... you move a project/session on to another computer or you buy a new computer. How will you know what IR or file was loaded if it just goes blank when it can't find a file? It's a major problem in the long term.

How about showing the path and file name below the Browser whenever the Custom path is selected?

Inspired by ...

^^^^
@ vectorwarrior: would that help?

@ Vojtech?
Inspired by ...

DarkStar wrote:^^^^
@ vectorwarrior: would that help?
Sure, I dont care what form it takes, I just need the info to avoid losing the data entirely if the session can't find the file. Thanks :)

Hmmm, dunno :( . I must say this seems to me rather extreme, one just needs to be careful of the system they work on...
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

MeldaProduction wrote:Hmmm, dunno :( . I must say this seems to me rather extreme, one just needs to be careful of the system they work on...
And if you want to take a session to a different computer or your computer dies and you need to reinstall everything? There's a bunch of reasons Melda plugins may not be able to find files.

True, but then one needs to be even more careful and keep both computers identical ideally :).
Vojtech

No matter how had i try, I think I would find keeping them identical impossible.

But. lets take a more common scenario - after collecting and using several IR libraries over the years, I decide to put them all into one folder for easier use. All my projects would not load the IR and I would not know which one I had used.

Go on, just show the path / file name of the IR in the window. :)
Inspired by ...

DarkStar wrote:No matter how had i try, I think I would find keeping them identical impossible.
it is. just imagine working in different studios...

imo melda thinks a bit narrow-minded at this point. i think he assumes everyone has several computers at home where we're working on. but we haven't and keeping computer settings identical at home, by friends, at studios is impossible and not necessary.

i really don't know what is the problem by displaying a path.

DarkStar wrote:No matter how had i try, I think I would find keeping them identical impossible.

But. lets take a more common scenario - after collecting and using several IR libraries over the years, I decide to put them all into one folder for easier use. All my projects would not load the IR and I would not know which one I had used.

Go on, just show the path / file name of the IR in the window. :)
Ok, so in V10 there will be a red text showing a missing file if needed. But note that in order to see that one will need to show the GUI anyway. I'm a man of order :D, I like to keep some standardized folders on all my computers, it makes life waaaaay easier ;).
Vojtech

Sounds good to me. :) Opening the GUI seems reasonable to me.
Inspired by ...

Awesome, this is exactly what I wanted. In fact I'd dislike a pop up warning. Thank you for listening! It's a relief to know I'll not have to worry about potential missing files :)

Return to “MeldaProduction”