Melda transient effect a bit... meh?

Official support for: meldaproduction.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Anyone else find the melda transient processor a bit underwhelming compared to other Melda plugins? Previously I was using Waves' Trans-X and that seemed to do a better job of transient detection and with less crackling. I've been using the melda one extensively for a couple of years now and tend to get better results with the 'approximated' rather than 'accurate' detector mode, but it's still either crackly or missing a lot of transients.

So, my suggestion would be to add some additional controls to the plug that help hone in on a better sound. Maybe an RMS control (to smooth out those crackles), a 'hold' control, maybe even attack/release controls. I'm not sure what's going on behind the scenes of the detection, but any way to further tailor the detection would be beneficial too, maybe EQ/filtering or more detection modes.

The added benefit is that any improvements made to this, would no doubt be able to be carried over to the transient detection used by the modulators... which I also find to be pretty unusable for my purposes for the same reasons.

Additionally, not being able to hear the sustain portion only, as it is not available with the 'Output' setting, makes the 'sustain' part very hard to assess.

Am I the only one to feel this way? I was wondering whether it was one of the older plugins that hadn't been improved much over the years.

Thanks!

As an example of what an awesome transient processor can do, check out this:
http://www.molecularbytes.com/mbcms/ind ... ctransient

vectorwarrior wrote:As an example of what an awesome transient processor can do, check out this:
http://www.molecularbytes.com/mbcms/ind ... ctransient
This thing looks REALLY sick! Very impressing, indeed. But the (intro!) price tag is just out of this world for a transient designer... or as long as you're no professional at least...

If you assign a modulator to the level crossover you can listen to the sustain by soloing the appropriate band.
Also by using a modulator, does this give us access to the attack, release, RMS etc?
Melda Production & United Plugins
Surface Studio = i7, 32gb, SSD.
Windows 11. Bitwig, Reaper, Live. MTotal.
Audiofuse, Adam Audio monitors + sub, iLoud MTM.
Polybrute, Summit, Pro 3, Tempest, Syntakt, AH2.
Ableton Push 2, Roli Seaboard Block.

Sim.Sky wrote:This thing looks REALLY sick! Very impressing, indeed. But the (intro!) price tag is just out of this world for a transient designer... or as long as you're no professional at least...
129 EUR ... ouch! But it does look way cool.

jmg8 wrote:If you assign a modulator to the level crossover you can listen to the sustain by soloing the appropriate band.
Also by using a modulator, does this give us access to the attack, release, RMS etc?
Actually, yes, using the transient modulation on a modulator you can indeed use the attack, release, hold and RMS controls with the transient detection! Good idea.

That actually gives more ammunition to improve MTransient as it actually lacks features that the transient detection for modulators has... which is odd given that MTransient should really be the ultimate tool for transient modification.

And yes, the price on that other plug is pretty nuts!

Have to agree here. For me it's also a problem to find settings that catch the transients right but don't distort. Maybe independent attack and release time settings would help, since with many instruments the attack phase is a lot faster then the release phase?

I also prefer every other transient Designer, never get results I'd like or prefer over other companies.

Actually I once wrote Vojtech about an EnvelopeShaper, which works much better for me, I always take the Cubase EnvShaper as a transient designer. Don't know what's actually the difference.

Agree. BTW Transreckon is like an envelope shaper because it has adjustable length for both attack & sustain.
H E L P
Y O U R
F L O W

I'm in the same boat - I have used different transient shapers over the years, some are fantastic (they can really help putting life back).
Meldas is unfortunately not one of them, it's not clean sounding, I haven't been able to make anything sounds better using this.

One of the very few plugins from sknote that I really appreciate is in fact their transient processor mattertone - wow

Would be nice if Vojtech would rethink his transient shaper - I'm certain we are quite a few who believe Vojtech, with his fantastic skills, should be able to make a truly competitive model. Otherwise we may have found one of the very few things in the plugin world, where he doesn't excel - nobody is equally good at everything, which is actually pretty human :ud: :D

::
Mads

Hmmm, did you guys actually check with the recent versions? I agree that the old algorithm didn't work well, but now it works just marvelous.
Btw. I checked this "new" plugin, and sorry to say, it's horrible. It distorts like hell, I actually couldn't make absolutely anything even remotely useful from it. It even looks like it causes some horrible artifacts similar to spectral domain processing... And it's not really a transient shaper, more like envelope shaper. Which reminds me a post from some of you in this thread - envelope shapers are NOT the same things as transient shapers!!
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

Interesting - When was this new algorithm introduced..?

::
Mads

ZentralmassivSound wrote:Have to agree here. For me it's also a problem to find settings that catch the transients right but don't distort. Maybe independent attack and release time settings would help, since with many instruments the attack phase is a lot faster then the release phase?
This sums up my feelings exactly. It's either not picking up enough or the right transients or it's picking up too many and distorting because they're so short. Looks like plenty of others feel the same way, but Vojtech doesn't agree. Personally I haven't noticed any difference with the newer versions. Oh well, the feedback is there, it's up to him if he wants to act on it, but I'm glad we've had the discussion at the very least.

I find using a mod with transient modulation on the level crossover loads more flexible than the transient shaper anyway. It not only give us control of attack, hold, release, rms, threshold etc. It also allows us to then process the attack and release parts separately with any FX we like.
Melda Production & United Plugins
Surface Studio = i7, 32gb, SSD.
Windows 11. Bitwig, Reaper, Live. MTotal.
Audiofuse, Adam Audio monitors + sub, iLoud MTM.
Polybrute, Summit, Pro 3, Tempest, Syntakt, AH2.
Ableton Push 2, Roli Seaboard Block.

Return to “MeldaProduction”