Can I do this modulation with the plugins I have?

Official support for: meldaproduction.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi - I'd like to apply LFO-controlled modulation to the pitch of a reverb tail, as well as its length.

I own MAutoDynamicEQ, MCompare, MTransient, and MAutovolume.

Can I use these somehow to do those modulations?

Thanks for any hints!

Hmmm, I don't think so, there is no reverb nor a pitch shifting plugin, so I'm not sure what you are trying to do really :)
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

Are you asking if you can use the modulators in Melda plugins to modulate other VSTs? I don't think you can, no.
Melda Production & United Plugins
Surface Studio = i7, 32gb, SSD.
Windows 11. Bitwig, Reaper, Live. MTotal.
Audiofuse, Adam Audio monitors + sub, iLoud MTM.
Polybrute, Summit, Pro 3, Tempest, Syntakt, AH2.
Ableton Push 2, Roli Seaboard Block.

jmg8 wrote:Are you asking if you can use the modulators in Melda plugins to modulate other VSTs? I don't think you can, no.
I was hoping yes, but if not: Can I use the modulators in any of my Melda plugs (listed in the OP) to modulate the reverb tail if I sent it to them? Parameters such as length of the tail, HPF, LPF, etc.

And I really would like to experiment with pitch shifting the reverb tail, and modulating that. Is there one of the free Melda plugs that can help me do that (assuming none of the ones I own could do that)?

I'm a complete newbie with the idea of modulation, sorry for the almost certainly dumb question :oops:

Thanks -

alexis1 wrote:Hi - I'd like to apply LFO-controlled modulation to the pitch of a reverb tail, as well as its length.

Thanks for any hints!
does the reverb plugin you're using allow you to automate control of its pitch and length in the first place?

if not, you can gate a reverb's output make it shorter, and you can pitch shift the output of a reverb, but 'outside' that reverb there's no way for some other plugin to know which part of the audio is 'tail' and which isnt.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

whyterabbyt wrote:
alexis1 wrote:Hi - I'd like to apply LFO-controlled modulation to the pitch of a reverb tail, as well as its length.

Thanks for any hints!
does the reverb plugin you're using allow you to automate control of its pitch and length in the first place?

if not, you can gate a reverb's output make it shorter, and you can pitch shift the output of a reverb, but 'outside' that reverb there's no way for some other plugin to know which part of the audio is 'tail' and which isnt.
Unless he uses the reverb as a send, and modulate that

I can automate tail length only (not pitch of the tail) in the verbs I have, but not with an LFO, just manually.

And on one of my verbs (Revelation, Cubase), I can turn the early reflections down to zero, so it is essentially all tail, ready for processing. So for pitch modulation, I can then send that to a pitch shift plug in that can be automated, but again only manually, not with an LFO.

In both cases I'd like the LFO to do the modulation, not drawing automation.

I guess I'm understanding that Melda can't "reach into" my verb plugin to apply an LFO for modulations of tail length, tail pitch, or of anything really. So at least I'd like to route the reverb tail to a Melda plugin to have that done.

And, if there is a pitch shifter in any of my Melda plugins (or any of the free Melda plugs) that can be modulated by an LFO, that would be a whole lot simpler than having to use a separate plug for that.

Am I doing an OK job of describing what it is I'm looking for? I know I can get some reverbs that allow controls of all that within, but I'd rather stick with the ones I have - at this stage it's just to see if it makes a difference to my ears in terms of adding motion/"shimmer" to the reverb tail (from what I've read it can really be a nice technique).

Thanks much -

MReverb isn't free, however, it could/should do everything you describe...maybe the quickest/cheapest solution...hth.../s~
mba m2 15" | 16gig.ram | 1tb ssd | Sonoma 14.2.1 (23C71)
mbp i9 16" | 16gig.ram | 1tb ssd | Sonoma 14.2.1 (23C71)
logic10.8.1  | reaper7.07 | focusrite.2i2

What DAW are you using? There is a chance you have the bits you need to do this already, although the feedback of the full Lanois shimmer technique might be tricky to pull off.

EDIT: Missed the post above. Cubase. Got it. No dice on the feedback part of it then.
Last edited by Gamma-UT on Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

steve2KVR wrote:MReverb isn't free, however, it could/should do everything you describe...maybe the quickest/cheapest solution...hth.../s~
Right, thanks much. I'm willing to put some work into it if I can do this with my current reverbs though (UAD-2 Plate 140, Cubase Revelation and Cubase stock reverb).

So, under those circumstances, I need to route the tail from Revelation into a Melda plug-in that does Pitch Shift and Modulation ... I think (?).

Maybe MVibrato vs. MAutoPitch (do they have the ability to set an LFO to the pitch and duration?).

Thanks!

Actually MFrequencyShifter or MTransformer would be better.
Melda Production & United Plugins
Surface Studio = i7, 32gb, SSD.
Windows 11. Bitwig, Reaper, Live. MTotal.
Audiofuse, Adam Audio monitors + sub, iLoud MTM.
Polybrute, Summit, Pro 3, Tempest, Syntakt, AH2.
Ableton Push 2, Roli Seaboard Block.

The frequency shifter won't give the same results as a pitch shifter and can make the reverb seem much more metallic (though this can be useful in some situations). One way you can do this for free in Cubase without a lot of effort is get Valhalla's FreqEcho (free but I think you need to set up an account there to download it) and sandwich it between two of the Cubase reverbs – I'd suggest the stock one first with a short reverb time and low diffusion, with the tail from Revelation after FreqEcho.

Set the delay on FreqEcho to around 10-50ms and the frequency shift knob to a few Hertz above zero and the feedback to above 50%. Then adjust the mix and these settings to taste – higher settings will get crazier but the lower ranges around those settings will add a lot of interest to the reverb on a solo instrument.

Gamma-UT wrote:The frequency shifter won't give the same results as a pitch shifter and can make the reverb seem much more metallic (though this can be useful in some situations). One way you can do this for free in Cubase without a lot of effort is get Valhalla's FreqEcho (free but I think you need to set up an account there to download it) and sandwich it between two of the Cubase reverbs – I'd suggest the stock one first with a short reverb time and low diffusion, with the tail from Revelation after FreqEcho.

Set the delay on FreqEcho to around 10-50ms
and the frequency shift knob to a few Hertz above zero and the feedback to above 50%. Then adjust the mix and these settings to taste – higher settings will get crazier but the lower ranges around those settings will add a lot of interest to the reverb on a solo instrument.
Thank you, Gamma-UT!

May I ask, why the delay? It seems like that would comb filter with the dry signal, with possible undesired consequences. Can the LFO-controlled pitch shift be done without adding that delay, or is that obligatory for some reason?

Thanks!

alexis1 wrote:May I ask, why the delay? It seems like that would comb filter with the dry signal, with possible undesired consequences.
It tends to sound better that way as you get a scattering effect as the pitch shifts upwards on each delay cycle (with high-ish feedback). Your mileage may vary. I'm sure there are situation where no delay is preferable. The intention here is to have an unnatural but interesting reverb. The delay also acts as an extra source of reflections for the second reverb. The settings mentioned are really just a starting point for what I've found works reasonably well.
Can the LFO-controlled pitch shift be done without adding that delay, or is that obligatory for some reason?

Thanks!
There's no LFO on this particular setup, and if there were, it would probably need to be very slow. But there is nothing to stop you putting an LFO on say the pitch knob using MIDI control from Cubase (though I didn't stop to check how this would work in practice).

Gamma-UT wrote:
alexis1 wrote:May I ask, why the delay? It seems like that would comb filter with the dry signal, with possible undesired consequences.
It tends to sound better that way as you get a scattering effect as the pitch shifts upwards on each delay cycle (with high-ish feedback). Your mileage may vary. I'm sure there are situation where no delay is preferable. The intention here is to have an unnatural but interesting reverb. The delay also acts as an extra source of reflections for the second reverb. The settings mentioned are really just a starting point for what I've found works reasonably well.
Can the LFO-controlled pitch shift be done without adding that delay, or is that obligatory for some reason?

Thanks!
There's no LFO on this particular setup, and if there were, it would probably need to be very slow. But there is nothing to stop you putting an LFO on say the pitch knob using MIDI control from Cubase (though I didn't stop to check how this would work in practice).
Thank you Gamma-UT for the kind an informative reply. Will use that info as I move forward, I do believe I'm just about there!

Thanks again!

Return to “MeldaProduction”