Deconvolution

Official support for: meldaproduction.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Alphacodex wrote:Interesting, because that also means, that nexus is NOT just a rompler... or did they add a round robin for white noise???
AFAIK Nexus never was just a rompler. Very often the expansion designers talked about that it just uses multisamples as main sound source. These were sometimes layered with realtime synthesized sounds for fatness and to not make the presets that static. But its osc section is not that mighty as it would be from a synth. The focus is still on samples. There are presets without multisamples in it too.

The arts acoustic reverb uses modulation most of the time. Don't know if you can picture that with a simple ir. Why don't you just download the demo from the reverb plugin? Then you don't have the problems with getting the right sounds in and out.

Well... I did even buy the ArtsAcoustic reverb but I could not get the same sound out of it. I even established contact with the nexus engineers and they told me, the algorithm in nexus is a specially adjusted algorithm not found in the normal ArtsAcoustic reverb...

So the only thing would be an IR... However I'm kinda stuck. I can't find a suitable sample within nexus, everything that is a bit longer has some sort of modulation going on. As I understood that is what the Voxengo Deconvoluter does: Analyzing the dry waveform and the wet one and exctractiong the IR from them...
Maybe I'll try the demo and see if I can get anything out of it.

Convolution will always be static. But if you are after simulating another reverb (I'm not sure what Nexus is), most reverbs actually simply modulate the pitch using a vibrato on the input and MMultiBandConvolution has that too, so it shouldn't be such a big deal. But it won't be the same probably.
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

I'm not concerned about the modulation part too much, the main problem is I can't capture the IR properly. I got some results with very short reverberated white noise bursts, and while they sound "interesting" they are nowhere close to the original reverb in Nexus.

I also tried a demo of Voxengo Deconvolution, but coulnd't get anything useful out of it... I'm too tired now maybe I'll try again with a sine sweep tomorrow...

@Voijtech:
Nexus is a Virtual instrument and has a built in reverb effect, that I want to match as close as possible to be able to use it on other sounds in my mixes.

^^^
Maybe I missed something, but why not generate some white noise from MNoiseGenerator and record it?
DarkStar, ... Interesting, if true
Inspired by ...

DarkStar wrote:^^^
Maybe I missed something, but why not generate some white noise from MNoiseGenerator and record it?
Because it is an instrument and he cant put anything before it.
Melda Production & United Plugins
Surface Studio = i7, 32gb, SSD.
Windows 11. Bitwig, Reaper, Live. MTotal.
Audiofuse, Adam Audio monitors + sub, iLoud MTM.
Polybrute, Summit, Pro 3, Tempest, Syntakt, AH2.
Ableton Push 2, Roli Seaboard Block.

Yup... that's my problem. If I could put something before and after it, I could simply use two instances of MMultiBandConvolution, which has an automatic IR capturing built in...

But I'm trying to capture the sound of a reverb module thatnis bult into a Virtual Instrument with no external inputs...

I don't think recording a noise would work anyways. You'd need a proper deconvolution for that, not just impulse response recording.
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

Yup... I'll try again with a sine sweep and Voxengo Deconvolution...

won't work. You cant capture the "modulation" parameter of the reverb with an impulse response. But this is what makes the reverb so special. Without it, it does not sound like what you are after at all. Btw, VPS Phalanx also has the same ArtsAcoustic Verb and you could load any sample into Phalanx. But like I said, its technically impossible to caputure the modulation. Its not just a Chorus, its way more. Every reflection has its own pitches etc, you can't simulate that. And yes, Nexus has a full synth architecture under the hood with noise, real pulse width modulation etc.

Ah... good to know... I did one more experiment today... twas rather complicated. I used a basic sine wave somewhere below C0 (where it showed 20Hz on the analyzer). Then I programmed Nexus to use an auxiliary control to internally control pitch (because pitch could not be automated externally). Then I automated that external controller. However the range of the automation was not big enough to reach 20kHz. However I found out that I could cascade multiple external controlers and map them all to internal pitch.
Finally I could get it to work that I had an sine sweep from 20Hz to almost 20kHz.
I then bounced the dry sine wave and the after that the 100% wet sine wave (I also tried 50% wet, but that did not make big of a difference). Oh and I completely turned down modulation, after reading the responses here in the forum...
I then put the two files into Voxengo Deconvolver and finally got a response file out of it. However in the file the impulse response was completly burried under some sort of residual noise that was left over after the deconvolution (at least that is what I assume).
Of course I tried to use it as IR in my Reverb Plugin, but it was a complete mess...
So no luck even with the static reverb... not to mention the modulation...

@msvs: Hmm... that of course would be a good reason to buy avenger... Maybe I'll have a closer look at avenger then...
Couldn't Vengeance or reFX just release a Reverb Plugin that has those algorithms in it? ;-)

Return to “MeldaProduction”