Automation: advised I hold off on V11 upgrade?

Official support for: meldaproduction.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello - I do tend to automate projects with Melda plugs, but almost always at the DAW level (Cubase 9.0.20). I'm a little confused about automation V11 vs V10 ... would big problems be expected making the upgrade while still working on a v10 project?

Thank you!
Last edited by alexis1 on Thu May 25, 2017 12:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Install and enable the compatibility mode in the setting and you should be fine.

And ... remember to turn it off for your new projects.

Essentially, the plug-in automation parameters that are 'published' to the host have changed (some esoteric ones have been removed (e.g. parameters for Modulators, Multiparameters, MIDI Controllers and Note Controllers), others added). The index numbers associated with the parameters have also changed. Most (all?) hosts use the index numbers to automate the parameters.

For projects done using the v10 plug-ins you can use the v11 plug-ins, in "v10 compatibility mode" as pone said. In this mode all the plug-ins continue to use the v10 list of parameters. You do get to use all the other v11 features. :)

For new projects, make sure that the v10 compatibility mode is turned off so that your host sees the v11 list of parameters. And, if you do wish to automate one of those parameters that is not in the list published to the host, you can just assign it to a spare Multiparameter.
DarkStar, ... Interesting, if true
Inspired by ...

Actually with Cubase you are probably fine with Compatibility mode enable indefinitely, since Cubase handles automation very well, not so much Live or Logic for instance. Anyways it should save a bit of resources to have the compatibility mode disabled.
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

I understand in V11 parameters can only be automated via Multiparams, right? How about MUtility, that doesn't have MPs. Will it not be automateable anymore?

Not really, it's a compromise - with the compatibility mode off you can automate basic plugin settings and multiparameters, but not modulators, MIDI etc., which previously took most of the automation parameters.
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

Following on from what Vojtech said, each plug-in has a set of automation parameters, and, most have a set of automatable Multiparameters too.

Here are the automatable parameters for MUtility:
Image >>> http://i.imgur.com/CwINjrF.png
DarkStar, ... Interesting, if true
Inspired by ...

Thanks guys!

Yes, thank you everyone especially Vojtech and Dark Star (from OP).

I guess (using Cubase) I'll keep V10 Compatibility mode, and if I run into computer slowdowns I'll see if the change to V11 automation makes a noticeable difference.

Thanks again!

So can you not automate quick controls?

Ah just tried in Bitwig - it seems you can but they jump around between different presets so you can assign a param to a controller knob but change presets and it's doing something else - that's annoying. You really need a stable set of params if they are going to be mappable to a controller.

Is the compatibility switch a global (i.e. for all plugins) switch or is it per plugin?
SOUND!

Sorry, may I ask for some clarification please?

I'm wondering if the following automation, typical of the kind of automation changes I make when using Melda, is what has changed in V11:
MAutoDynamicEQ: use automation to turn a node "on" at a certain point, and then back "off" a little later.
Thanks much -

Oliver.Lucas: It is global. It assumes you either want it or not, for everything.

alexis1: I'm a little lost, could you explain again?
Vojtech

MeldaProduction wrote:...
alexis1: I'm a little lost, could you explain again?
Sorry. I'm asking - is the kind of automation change I described (I put it in quotes) the kind that is handled differently in V11?

Thanks -

Return to “MeldaProduction”