MAutoAlign question

Official support for: meldaproduction.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I´m using Reaper v5 and will try your tips.

Reaper? Hmmm, there shouldn't be any problems with Reaper as far as I know. There the signals really need to be a bit "unspecific". If it happens again - I mean everytime you click you get different results - please send me a short excerpt and I'll try it here.
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

MeldaProduction wrote: I'm actually processing drums right now, so some experiences. It is always sort of about experimentation. I ended up aligning close mikes together (the real close mikes, like if I have 3 snare mics, then I align them together). But then I send the close mikes to group track, overheads to another group, rooms to another group, and align them together again.
Do you continue to have MAutoAlign plugins working during the rest of the mix? I would rather have a way of freezing them. I am tempted to take the info from each instance and move the audio by the number of samples it indicates. Is this silly? Is there a better way?

I always keep them working all the time, they take nearly no CPU, so there's no need to freeze it really.
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

Hi, would MautoAlign be able to be applied to both sides of a stereo track to make it potentially more mono compatible?

Well, yes, you can add 2 instances onto a single track, one in L and another in R channel modes. But mono compatibility is a virtually impossible concept - unless the audio is mono, or you create the signal in M/S mode (as MStereoSpread does). Recording 2 mikes, one for left and another right will always cause some sort of phase cancellation, but the plugin can help you minimize that.
Vojtech

And then, real life is full of phase cancellations, no?

Yes! The thing is though that our signals we use to mix are rather "clean". Real signals that enter your ears are full of various reflections, so unless you are in a cubic room (like bathroom), where you can hear how ugly phase cancellations sound, the reflections just eventually compensate for each other.

Just fyi: It's the same thing as with "allpass filters" - if you have classic echoes, then they sound pretty much like in the bathroom, creating all the same resonances, so-called modes. But allpass filters do a little trick - they change the echoes in such a way that first echo is obviously resonating (as all echoes do), but the next one partly compensates for the resonances, 3rd one compensates for resonances of the first 2 etc. until infinity. Similar thing happens in physical space where the randomness statistically compensates for previous echoes.
Vojtech

Return to “MeldaProduction”