Come Inside - Guitar Track

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Come Inside

5.23MB
128 bit mp3

I think some explanation is due... I recorded the vox and guitars to a 4 track cassette in 1989. Recently I digitized the track from cassette and chopped out some usable loops. This version is the result of playing back those loops and adding percussion and sort of an epiano bass.
Image Image

Hey... That's catchy! It's got a Joe Cocker 'You Can Leave Your Hat On' sort of vibe to it (minus his voice of course)... It reminds me of this travelling tape I used to listen to on the weekends... Kinda laid-back and soulful.

My only complaint would be that there is too much going on in the presence range... The guitar and the hats (or is it a brushed snare?) seem to compete with each other a little too much in that range. You might need to notch out just a bit there.

The vocals sound pretty good. And the lyrics are cool. I like that watery chorused effect on them. It works well for the mood of this track.

And now after repeated listenings, the melody is going to be stuck in my head all day! :x

I like it. 8)

This ain't a bad old tune. But I feel it would really benefit from some further mixing to improve its sound. I'm no mix master, myself, so I can't just spit out concrete quick-fix suggestions, but I certainly would have liked the vox more up front. I had a hard time deciphering the words. More compression?

Beat brought David Gray's White Ladder to mind. Anyway, keep jamming, polyslax! And hats off for rescuing a tune from 89!

fjell
"Your petty insults are of no consequence." --Jp22
Songs

very nice! i agree with fjell and advaya though. I think the drums have a bit too much of a presence.

Thanks for listening and for the nice comments and suggestions.

I've re-worked some eq/compression/level settings based on your comments and come up with this version:

Come Inside2.

I've left the original there for comparison, but I think this one is better balanced.

The source material was quite difficult to work with, i.e. poor original recording, old cassette tape, lots of hiss/noise, so I feel fairly good about the 'rescue' efforts.

Thanks again!
Image Image

beautiful piece! love the sound (going by v2)
5 twelve

Hey, thank you very much for checking it out!
Image Image

thats some damn good loopin!

the lyrics are catchy, but behind too much

im assuming you tracked the vocals seperately from the rest of the stuff

id try eqing the mids more on the vocals and a little more compression

edit:remind me to check for a 2nd version before i post my tripe :dog:

a great listen. thanks!

Thanks pannewb!

Yup, the looping was a challenge, and much of the song was not useable for this project... no verses are used in this version, for instance.

Anyhow, lots of fun. I've digitized about 100 old cassette tapes of stuff I did in the 80s-90s, so there's still plenty of loop fishing to do.

Cheers!
Image Image

Return to “Music Cafe”