Epsilon In New Orleans Pale

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I guess not everyone is keeping up with the songs being posted in the Musicions for Katrina Relief thread . . . so I saw no reason to deprive you all of this song.

This was a tune written "in the style of" Epsilon In Malaysian Pale by Edgar Froese (of Tangerine Dream fame). I was listening to that album in my car while on a long drive and decided I wanted to try and replicate its filter swept, heavily processed Mellotron string sound. So this began as a production experiment. I didn't try to copy the tune or melodies and I haven't gone back to the original to see how close/far I came from the mark . . .

Anyway, scoot over to the Auditorium and check it out:
Epsilon In New Orleans Pale

P.S. this is my submission to the Katrina Relief CD just in case you missed that.

Wow, this is really (don't hate me) beautiful.

I like your more experimental stuff as well, but this comes as a bit of a shock as it is actually quite voluptuous.

It could be a lost track from the second half of Bowie's (and Eno's) 'Heroes'.

I am at work, so I can't really comment on technicalities. But I really look forward to hearing the hifi version!

Good work.

herodotus wrote:Wow, this is really (don't hate me) beautiful.

I like your more experimental stuff as well, but this comes as a bit of a shock as it is actually quite voluptuous.

I am at work, so I can't really comment on technicalities. But I really look forward to hearing the hifi version!

Good work.
There's nothing to hate about beauty :D Thanks for the wonderful comments.

I don't know if you've heard my other work influenced by the old masters of electronica/space/cosmiche/Berlin School or whatever you want to call it. I've actually done quite a lot of music that's more melodic, though I've been posting a lot more of my abstract/experimental work lately. Four selections on my artist's page (see sig) are more exemplary of this style: Behrlinesque, The Bull of Heaven Part I, Tempera Loop and Aeolian Planes are all more melodic and (hopefully) beautiful.

When I saw the Bowei/Eno comment I was hoping you were going to say "second half of Low" . . . but I'll settle for Heroes (it's my second favorite Bowie work, Low is definitely top). God, there are pieces on Low that bring me to tears. They used a Chamberlin instead of a Mellotron (basically the same thing) but . . . wow! Hauntingly, painfully beautiful!

If you haven't heard Edgar Froese's album Epsilon In Malaysian Pale, then check it out. There's a Mellotron string piece on it that's like 20 minutes long, that's the song I was trying to mimic in the sound world.

emdot_ambient wrote:
herodotus wrote:Wow, this is really (don't hate me) beautiful.

Good work.
I have never heard of
There's nothing to hate about beauty :D Thanks for the wonderful comments.

I don't know if you've heard my other work influenced by the old masters of electronica/space/cosmiche/Berlin School or whatever you want to call it. I've actually done quite a lot of music that's more melodic, though I've been posting a lot more of my abstract/experimental work lately. Four selections on my artist's page (see sig) are more exemplary of this style: Behrlinesque, The Bull of Heaven Part I, Tempera Loop and Aeolian Planes are all more melodic and (hopefully) beautiful.

When I saw the Bowei/Eno comment I was hoping you were going to say "second half of Low" . . . but I'll settle for Heroes (it's my second favorite Bowie work, Low is definitely top). God, there are pieces on Low that bring me to tears. They used a Chamberlin instead of a Mellotron (basically the same thing) but . . . wow! Hauntingly, painfully beautiful!

If you haven't heard Edgar Froese's album Epsilon In Malaysian Pale, then check it out. There's a Mellotron string piece on it that's like 20 minutes long, that's the song I was trying to mimic in the sound world.
I have never heard of Froese. I will have to put his name on the "must buy when my wife gives me spending money" list.

And I love all of that Bowie's work from that era.

'Scary Monsters' and 'Lodger' are both on my top 20.

All of those 'berlin period' albums are a far cry from his more recent stuff, which I will pass over without comment.

herodotus wrote:All of those 'berlin period' albums are a far cry from his more recent stuff, which I will pass over without comment.
Amen, and amen.

Edgar Froese is the only constant member of Tangerine Dream. His solo works from the 70's are at least as important as Tangerine Dream's works from that time. Check out Aqua along with the aforementioned album. Macula Transfer was very short but had some good stuff on it, too.

ahh soothing. pretty good ending too. fits the subject matter well, i think.

moss marv

lushes strings
wide spectrum
earthly feel
hopefull sphere

fantastic works

cheers

remmie

:D Emerald, great and poetic comments!

rockstarfx, glad you like the ending. I changed it from the original, which had been a repeat of the short section that precedes the false ending. I wrote a completely new ending which I thought sounded pretty nice. I love it when people notice things I've labored on :love:

Nice sprawling piece there, time flew by while I was listening.

Can I concur on the beauty part

Thanks, fellow American Pig and mystahr! Sprawling beauty . . . couldn't have said it better meself!

Audioshots' down :-(

respirator wrote:Audioshots' down :-(
It's back up!

lush, swirling, lovely stuff. I think you hit your mark

bluedad wrote:lush, swirling, lovely stuff. I think you hit your mark
:D

Return to “Music Cafe”