Silence is Deadly (Detroit-ish Techno)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Well, finally produced this little piece of techno tonight. I've posted enough stuff (and you've all heard enough!) - i now want to work on a Demo EP/LP using older Reason tracks converted into Sonar.

I liked the chord changes in this - and i managed to find some very detroit sounding strings (although you can't hear them until the end as they're subdued).

Theres a few edits to be made - the wet to dry reverb intro will proberly go, and the hats are quite high too (mixed on speakers - never heard them on headphones until i bounced the mixdown!).

Track name - "Silence is deadly"

http://www.zen65754.zen.co.uk/Silence%20is%20deadly.mp3

Right Click to download.
Last edited by Shagga on Tue Sep 13, 2005 7:30 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Your link is'nt working for me. :?

There's a double "http://" in the link just edit it out.
No offence Shagga but it sounds like a midi file (all be it an average one) of Derrick May's - Strings of Life executed with a General Midi soundset.
Doesn't really vibe like a detroit tune either IMHO.
Sorry :( .

Thanks faX.
Yes it does have quite a similarity to strings of life, but i quite enjoyed it. I did think it had a detroit vibe, but maybe some of the sounds were not detroit like. It would have benefited from a bit more variation, but on the whole i liked it.

Strings of Life?

The chords are different, it has no piano and it does have a bassline (which the orignal didn't have!)

If it sounds like anything by Mayday, it would be "Is what it is".

Otherwise, no its no midi file - but you've spotted 1 GM sound (soundtrack) so points there.

But that was the only one. The others are Wavestation presets, which are a little generic but hae a nice sound. The appregio section in an Arp2600, put through a delay and thats about it.
Last edited by Shagga on Mon Sep 12, 2005 7:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

the pad sounds very good, hi hats too
The arpeggio is good, but the sound itself doesnt cut it for me...
Good chord progression
The kick doesnt fit well at all in the mix.
Strings of life !? Lol are you serious ?
But its rather close to some Stacey Pullen tracks (silent phase)

Yeah - the bassdrum is tuned but proberly way to heavy for this type of track. I was trying to 'drive' it but proberly over did it a bit.

I must agree with that lead sound being slightly dead - thing is, i'm new to Sonar and it can have a bit of a habbit of crashing on certain VSTi's. I didn't want to tax the synth automation as this used to cause similar crashes in Cubase SX too (admiting - Sonar only crashes when i'm doing patch changing in realtime).

I'll be doing some automation tests later to ensure the program can deal with fast movements.

I like the track, but IMO, the hihats were too loud...but it could just be my tiny speakers, because I didnt hear the bass drum...kept waiting for that to kick in.
Great arps btw!

No, they really are that loud - Eq'ed way to high then BBE'd. The bass drum also sounds like it has reverb. Not sure how thats come about!

The overstrung hihats have already been noted, in addition to the overheavy kick. The appregio needs to be reconsidered. For what it is, the piece has its own peculiar vibe that I like. But what is lacking is tension, the track just goes on and on without going anywhere, and which makes me tune out after about three minutes. Take it back to the shop and examine your options.
Ciao.

Good composition but a more dry approach would develop the mix indeed. Too much boom on the bass, a hole in the middles and too much hiss in the hats give me a hard time listening to it.

Reminds me much of some Los Hermanos tracks.
aka rktic. demoscener (Farbrausch, Holon, MFX, Still), sound designer, ux-dude, sth @AudioRealism, human synthesizer—not necessarily in that order.

I'm rather taken aback by that statement Ronny...
I'm a huge fan of UR (obviously) - and i was kinda aiming for a similar sound (although i can't replicate that fantastic rawness on my equipment - sadly!)

I'm going to re-edit the track soon but i need to get up to speed on Sonar as it takes slightly longer to use the Reason does.
I love the way it works with WAV files though - so if you record a reverb tail (say 10 bars rather then 8, then overlap with the same 10 bar loop, you HEAR the verb!.

Not sure how to fill that middle freq. yet though - I've not checked but i'd kinda thought it was really busy what with the bell and organ loop - but i'll have another check and see if i can put something onto those middle freqs.

Sorry. But WTF don't you link to the mp3 directly? I almost didn't download because of that. The track. I listened on headphones. And the reverb on the intro is truly superb. I had to take of my headphones and check behind me. Well done! The rest is not very interesting to me. Sorry. No grit, no nerve.

The forum wouldn't let me. I dunno why. I tried to D/L it directly when i first posted it after someone said my last track wouldn't d/l. So i tried a direct link and it wouldn't let me either.
Most bizarre.

G'day shagga
Well the pitfalls of the track have already been pointed out, but on a positive note I think the track is nicely composed, having a cool, laid back build with some nice sounds.
The outro is great ( when the arp drops out)lovely string pads.
In fact I'd probably like the arp to drop sooner, or change/modulate in some way.
A bit of attention to the mix could turn this into a decent track, but its not a showstopper.

nice work
grilla

Return to “Music Cafe”