NewBie hip hop track. Part 2

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi Forum,

some time ago you gave me really helpful tips on how to improve my song's quality. Could you please have another review on this song:

http://www.garagentuning.de/candy.mp3

What would you improve? IMO, the strings are not clear enough, but I really don't get them cleared with EQ and Filters. Any suggestions appreciated.

Thank you very much,
Adam

Beat is nice, but the strings and keys are horrible imo.
I would build with the beat...move those strings somehow...perhaps a bit of chorus and highpass would do the trick.

The organ sound is not well suited for this track imo. Perhaps give Mr. Ray a spin.

Good start nonetheless!
Anti-aliasing is for "synthmonk%ys".

Thanks for you answer freeztar!!! :D

And this is exactly the problem is have... what do you mean with move those strings somehow.

I have problems with working on fx at all. I don't know when to use what fx. It's hard to decide, when to pass what band and when to cut it off. Should I seperate each instrument in an own freq-band?

When do you use what effect and what are you expect them to achieve? I'm looking for a tutorial on base-effects like verb, chorus, filters and how they should be applied on different instrument.

I'll build up a new version from the scratch and let you know (hear) asap.

Thanks!
Cheers,
Adam

are you kidding me? are you just trying to remake 50's candy Shop. I hope so cuz if not this is #2 on kvr I've busted today! if you are you need better instruments and good drums. modernbeats.com

I'm going to keep it real. This is not to say you are a bad producer or anything, DO NOT TAKE IT THIS WAY!!! To be honest, it is 50 cent's candy shop, but it sounds like someone used the midi instruments to make it. I'm not putting you down, honestly. What are you using? By that I mean are you using a rompler, or something?
"You are going to let the fear of poverty govern your life and your reward will be that you will eat, but you will not live."

Yes, i took a midi file (actually 50's candy shop) and imported it in FL 5. I aimed it as kind of first steps after being really unsuccessful with own compositions. I used it, because i know the original track produced by scott storch. All I want is to learn what instruments and effects to use and how. I used a sinus bass wave sample for the deep bass with litte dist. the strings are coming from Edirols Sound Canvas, but are sounding really bad - i really agree! Played around with filters and eqs... and compressed, excited the downmix. I know modernbeats.com, but i'm not happy with using samples that are used by 1000s other people. If you like to, please give me some tips on which instruments should be used for that kind of hip hop productions and - what's most important for me - what effects to use for them. I thank you very much for this.

Thanks for criticism,
Adam

Fully understandble. When I first began I was just using loops. I remember purchasing the cheapest, most limited version of Acid. It was on my 13th or 14th birthday. Me a friend literally chilled out all night putting together various loops, and we did a song on it. Right now i'm as dry as the sun. My life at this point has gotten me down ,and totally uninspired at the moment. Too exhausted all the time. Anyways, i'd recommend you drop the edirol sound canvas and go with soundfonts and synths. Get sampletank free and plugsound free. What sequencer are you using again? As for drums I don't think you'll ever escape that dillema (everyone using drums from some popular machine or sample disk) UNLESS you do one of two things. You could either create your own drum sounds and process them heavily, or take it old school and just get you the cheapest turntable you can find off of ebay, and then get a pre amp (i'd imagine you could just use a mixer, but if you don't want to do that then you could always pick up something like ART tube MP studio which runs for only like $40.) I got one and it isn't too bad at all. Get you some records and sample kicks and snares and all, then you can easily process them with eq and all (or just get camel phat free to easily compress them and give them a hell of a low end.) As for composition i'd say check out others records, but seeing as how hip hop is at the moment i'd discourage that. Composition is really just something you grown into. You could always pick up some books and get a little knowledge in some music theory, but when all is said and done your style still has to come from you and your growth as a musician. Give it time and let it evolve, there will be many obstacles, but don't become discouraged if you can't figure something specific out. I started getting into this when I was about 12. Got some midi keyboard from radio shack and pretty much taught myself how to play piano, and it went from there. Anybody can be a musician, but it's that ambition and willingess to be creative and different that makes a good musician. Of course, good tools are always a big + though. ;-)
"You are going to let the fear of poverty govern your life and your reward will be that you will eat, but you will not live."

Return to “Music Cafe”