DUB inside for ya dubbies

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

vurt wrote:free which man?
would have preffered an instrumental to be honest, or a full song.
the repetition got a bit much for these old ears.

the tunage tho is great,as always outstanding

arent we all men?

so whats a full song then?

I understand the mark about the repetition tho, its jsut my first dub experiment. I see what I can do to change it asaI have time for it.

thanks for listening, john.

rsmus7 wrote:thanks

krushing

so what would you call it then?

I thought dub because of the bass and the drumrythm

and the feeling it provoces (at least in me)
I guess you can call it whatever you want :)
I hate genres with a passion anyway, so maybe my initial comment was a bit contradictory...for improvement suggestions, there could be much more variation with the delays - for now, it's a bit dull with 'em just clicking away for the whole song. The more I've played live with a tape delay (a Dynacord Echocord S65 from '67), the more it's becoming an instrument, and the fact that it rarely is strictly on time makes it just more interesting.

thanks

if I could get an Echocord that would be great.

I know those old tape echo machines and they are really the spice for the sound.
But they are rare and expensive :-(

hmmm, well I've been struggling to know what to say here, so I'll just be honest...
I don't think this is what I personally might call dub.
It's dubish - that is to say it's got elements of dub. The percussion clacks are the right sound for instance but have no motion - they're pretty static throughout the tune.
I like the electric piano riff but not the acoustic guitar, which doesn't seem to fit imo.
I like the whispered and spoken vocals near the beginning and end but not the sung vocals, which again don't seem to fit.

On the whole it's got a nice laid back vibe and sounds OK production-wise although the sung vox and acoustic guitar are, imo, a bit too upfront.

The bass doesn't (seem to) change and also doesn't flow with a dub feel.
Not too keen on that metallic sound in the left <<< speaker either. :oops:

These thoughts are purely from a personal point of view, after many listens, as to what is and what may not be Dub and are meant to be taken as constructive critisism, not flaming. :wink: :)

I'll echoe Micks' comments and only emphesise that I love the electric piano riff!

thanks for listening and comments mick and bluedad

I fully understand the critisism

yes and I understand the feelings about the statics of the drums ( tho I like the metallic sound ) and the guitar and sung voice.

I think I will try to make a remix of it asap.

and for sure I´ll keep the piano.

yeah - a dub dj is a musician ... check out Prince Fari....

rsmus7 wrote:I know those old tape echo machines and they are really the spice for the sound.
But they are rare and expensive :-(
They're not that rare - even here in Finland I see all sorts of tape echoes being sold almost constantly. As for expensive - the classics have an additional "cult" value (Roland's Space Echo & Watkins Copycat & Vorg Echo Orbit for example), but other less-known models can be found for pretty cheap. I paid 300€ for the Echocord, a friend of mine paid about the same for a RE-301 (he was lucky though) and another friend got a Korg Stage Echo (which is essentially very similar to a Space Echo) for about 400€.

Nothing wrong with digital & plugin delays, it's just different.

well these prices are what I call a bit high ;-)

a friend of mine bought a tape echo last year for 80€

that would be more my price ;-)

but I know they are not quite often to get and not that cheap. :-(

Return to “Music Cafe”