polyrhythmic percussion piece

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

This is probably the thing I have written that comes closest to reaching a few of my musical goals.

It has a very complex rhythmic and metrical structure. Explaining it would be tiresome, but the essence of it is that it is a series of exact musical mirrors: a series of polyrhythmic cycles, expressed both with pitch and rhythm. Blah, blah.

But when I say exact, I mean exact. Like:

This was originally written for string quartet, but I have discovered that it works much better with tuned percussion. Which makes sense, as it was written when I was really listening a great deal to the Balinese Gender Wajang recordings made by Mantle Hood (long since lost) :cry: .

Anyway:

http://www.realmusicmedia.com/a_fearful_symmetry.mp3
Last edited by herodotus on Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

The interweaving rhythms are mesmerizing. Kind of the musical equivalent of getting stuck in the thickets.

The gamelan-like sound reminds me a lot of some of Danny Elfman's score work, which isn't bad, but maybe too remindful. Did you try it out on piano at all? Or maybe a different pitched percussive, like marimbas?

All in all a really lovely piece, John. I've become a big fan of your fast-paced rhythm pieces like this.

Very impressive. :love:

Almost as impressed as everyone is going to be when I start using the word "Labrynthine" tomorrow. :hihi:

Seriously though, very well played. Extremely tight rhythm going there.

Only problem I have with it is that I now feel a little uncomfortable, dazed, and confused....like i just did some hallucinagenic drug or something. :drunk:

:wink:
Pro-Sounds : Sound....Different

-=ToTc Owns You=-

Listened again. Still mesmerized.

TotcProductions wrote:Very impressive. :love:
Thanks for listening!

shamann wrote:Listened again. Still mesmerized.
Thanks much, Steve.

:)

Very, very interesting John! I love this kind of formalistic stuff. I would love to hear this played by a couple of good percussionists on real instruments (I take it that this is sampled stuff - if not I'm sorry and impressed).

Thomas

That's cool! Sounds a bit like one of the John Cage prepared piano pieces that I can't remember the name of.

nice work,very crisp sounds.
gettin some distortion tho?is anyone else or have i blown something :o

vurt wrote:nice work,very crisp sounds.
Leave it to vurt to turn a perfectly good thread into a dirty subliminal reference.

or was it me that just did that by stating such...

:shrug:

:hihi:
Pro-Sounds : Sound....Different

-=ToTc Owns You=-

respirator wrote:Very, very interesting John! I love this kind of formalistic stuff. I would love to hear this played by a couple of good percussionists on real instruments (I take it that this is sampled stuff - if not I'm sorry and impressed).

Thomas
Yes those are samples (plugsound free in fact).

I might be able to play the parts (though it has been years since I have touched any tuned percussion) but I certainly don't have a Marimba, a Celesta, and a xylophone. :cry:

Thanks for listening!
DWb wrote:That's cool! Sounds a bit like one of the John Cage prepared piano pieces that I can't remember the name of.
Thanks!

vurt wrote:nice work,very crisp sounds.
I don't think there is any distortion per se, but there is a horrendous buildup in the high mids with tuned percussion of this sort.

Some patient eqing is probably in order.

Thanks for listening!

herodotus wrote:I might be able to play the parts (though it has been years since I have touched any tuned percussion) but I certainly don't have a Marimba, a Celesta, and a xylophone. :cry:
I think you'd be more than able. And you need those instruments! Know I WANT to hear this live...

respirator wrote: Know I WANT to hear this live...
Me too!! :hyper:

wow, that was very, very cool. :cool:

-ugo

ugo wrote:wow, that was very, very cool. :cool:

-ugo
Thanks, Ugo!

A gong performance J.L.Borges would love.
I'm impressed that it has the mesmerizing effect without the microntonal shimmer of gamelan.
I really really like this song!

Return to “Music Cafe”