If I could borrow some ears. . .

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

HanafiH wrote:
bduffy wrote:
HanafiH wrote:
bduffy wrote:Tell me HanafiH: what does it mean if you have DC Offset on ALL your files? Your sound card sucks? Host?
It means you're not rolling off subsonics. DC Offset is often another name for very long wave length bass. Try putting a HPF at 30Hz on your next mixdown.
Huhn. I always try to roll of subs...crazy! Is that what you do? EQ across the main bus, or just on each track?
EDIT: would I also benefit from, say, batch processing any mixdown archives I have?
Well HPF filtering is the almost universal cure for DC offset, even in the analog domain. It depends what you use for your final mixdown, some people like TRacks, others the Isotope plugs, or whatever, but essentially they all do the same thing. EQ across the bus on the final cut, somewhere below 35Hz, somehwere upwind of dithering.

Is it worth doing? Well, not under -60dBFS IMHO, you won't really notice any difference. If your music is the kind that's going to be played very loud, like at clubs, you should always roll off, as nothing under 20Hz sounds good loud. Try lying on a tumble dryer at full spin.
Right, thanks for that. I did notice that some commercial tracks displayed some DC Offset and others had none. Even though I am well aware of cutting out unnecessary subs, sometimes I forget to keep the overall mix in check! I'm often scared that the mix will lose too much low power. The last time I submitted a dance mix to a mastering engineer, he wound up adding low end back to it.

Thanks for the advice. :D

Return to “Music Cafe”