february contest ... RULES and SUBMISSIONS

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

After a couple of months I decided to enter again :)
Here's the ugly baby I gave birth to:

brain fart

Featuring
Bass Guitar
Accoustic guitar
Electic guitar
Jamstix subhosting DFHS
Vocals
FX used were Amplitube, Kjaerhus GAC-1, Dirthead, Filtox from Samplitude's vintage fx, Samp's Multiband Compressor and limiter.

There were no overdubs (but some editing) and there were no lyrics, so I just uttered what came to my mind...

Hope it's ugly enough :hihi:

All kinds of first for me this month:
1. First recorded vocals
2. First true recording (non-test) of my 12-string guitar
3. First true recording (non-test) of my new bass
4. Didn't fix screw-ups!
5. First ever "country" song for me!

So, in honor of Valentine's day, here is

"I Want to write a Love Song".

Used:
SONAR 5P
Izotope Ozone 2
Sonitus Compressor
Perfect Space Reverb
a bunch of "real instruments" and mics.
"I guess one person can make a difference, but most of the time they probably shouldn't." -M. Simpson

Ugly Bop

This is something I'm unfamiliar with... :?
music theory concepts far beyond my knowledge :hihi:

Ugly loud guitars, ugly overdriven bass, poor execution and mistakes
Everything 1st take (except sequenced parts).

Thanks to Jake Fitzenreider for drum samples (sfz) btbkit1.1

Cheers !

I really want to write music that fuses rock and electronica, or at least pop and electronica (one of my worst entries in this contest ever was titled "Rocktronica") but this time I wanted to try to take a completely different approach. I have based this on a very simple theme, used few tools, almost no effects, and as such it's an attempt at creating a unique sound yet still make sure it's a "Kovacs" song.

So we travel to the ends of the earth for an...

Antarctica Spring

Tools:
Live 5
FM7
Reaktor 5
Drums and bass loops from the Endangered Rhythms 1 library
Voxengo Voxformer, CurveEQ, and Elephant
My Soundcloud Too many pieces of music finish far too long after the end. - Stravinsky

Ok guy's and gal's here is my first ever entry.

Called 'Ulgy'

Using Cronox3, Swoosh Machine, Octopus and a splattering of Albino.
All composed in a short couple of hours which I don't normally do! I normally take day's........

Stream :- http://www.wusik.com/song.php?id=1150&stream=y

Download :- http://www.wusik.com/song.php?id=1150

thanks for listening :)

I never wrote anything with orchestral instruments. I am a guitar and drum rock guy, so for me, breaking out of my box meant jumping into the box others often inhabit--if that makes any sense; even if it does not, I hope you enjoy my entry:

http://rainyworld.com/06_02_jonnyquest_ugly.mp3

Were I to turn off the self-moderating portion of my musical brain, I imagine I would sit at my computer with my guitars and a few cans of beer, noodle away, then clumsily add some kind of drum track. When it came to mixing, I probably wouldn’t be too concerned with clipping. Mastering would involve some lazy limiting and a bit of reverb for polish.

A whole bunch of freebies; TubeBooster, RubyTube, NyquistEQ, CamelPhatFree and some Sonar plugs (tape and reverb).

Guitars in Mud (which is a pretty accurate description).

This is an "ugly baby" that I've been trying to turn into a "Diamond In The Rough". You guys will be the judges of weather I succeeded or not!

This is something I started several months ago then put aside and never finished. I felt it was out of my realm, so to speak. Too many time sigs with numbers other than 4 and too many chords with numbers above 7!! :hihi:

So Here is the new revived version, still probably out of my realm!! Only amp sims are used for further ugliness.

The Red Headed Step Child

Stuff used:

An NI fest this time!

Pro 53
FM-7
Electrik Piano
Guitar Rig 2 (talk about ugly)

And

Arturia Mini Moog
BFD
UAD 1 Plug-ins

with

POD 2.0
Les Paul Gold Top

download --->where's my braincell?

step outside my boundaries: this one is my first one played live all the way through, no looping or drum programming/piano-roll/quantizing etc... just plain ol' multitracking. Actually, it's the first time i've done a song with keyboard-drums.

it also happens to be my singing debut! :o

first takes were used for everything but the drums and main rhythm guitar... they were 3rd take or so.

oh and the mix is shiite, all on headphones.

lyrics:

and all the potheads are coming out to play
good cabbage is a one for... day
drink inside them
where's my brain cell now?

enjoy!

Hello, my Colleagues,

First time I've submitted a child for slaughter here. Hope I've followed the submission rules closely enough. If not, well, there's always next month...

Title is 'FunkItUP', a rocky, bluesy, funky thang.

http://www.studiobirr.com/06_02_greylio ... up_144.mp3

This month's contest pushes all my buttons, since I'm a compulsive perfectionist. And I really dislike my voice. Broke all my rules on this one.

I just slammed it out, did a couple of guide tracks last night, did the production tracks tonight, added about three effects, got my levels so you can hear most things, then bounced it.

Done in PT7 M-Powered, JamStix, only instrument is a Martin DC1E with various sims on a J-Station.

Take care,

GreyLion

....Oh, yeah, almost forgot --- It should be played LOUD.....

EDIT: GRRR. I'm not sure, but I think I've been a moron newb. I used the Auditorium for the file hosting, and when visiting it after posting, spotted the ONLY sticky at the top of the forum, banning the use of direct links. Which I think is what I posted here. So, I'll need to change to a link to the post at the Auditorium. And this may break a rule for the KVR contest. Not trying to complicate things here. If it's simplest, just omit my song from this month's contest.

Second edit: birrbits is a neat person!! The song is now hosted at his site, with the link reflecting it. Many thanks!
Last edited by GreyLion on Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

This couldnt be more ugly or last minute
ate my brain
[edited for details...]
done in FL using Slayer, DK+ with the Frogrock kit and a splash of Sytrus and polyIblit..vocals are completely raw, no processing no verb, no eq, no time

I, I just gotta say
That I threw my food away
and ate my brain today
yeah it tastes ok

I, I was hungry for some
so I ate my cerebellum
felt good in my tum
but now I'm so dumb

and I wish I had my brain today

Cuz if I had my brain my baby'd come back
I's make lotsa money as a matter of fact
If I had my brain I'm sure I'd see