idm ... NOT!

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

just in case anyone thought after all my recent postings on IDM that i'd lost my urge to compose sublimely uncommercial genre-less abstraction:

http://www.reaktions.com/compilations/m ... action.mp3

this is the closest i've yet gotten to what i've been calling "free groove": music that derives its strength from its rhythms, but thwarts (and in this case, largely obliterates) notions of pulse and meter.

it's not really accurate to call it genre-less. in fact, the rhythms and gestures are quite reminiscent of early stockhausen and his ilk. i'm hoping to take the essence of this and find a way to make it compatible with contemporary electronic language.

warning: very minimal, lots of silence, short, and abstract. probably not a great club tune. ;-)

comments welcome.

rachMiel

Liked this.
Liked the sounds and your restraint.
Would have liked it to be like...20mins longer...but. : )
....................Don`t blame me for 'The Roots', I just live here. :x

the aural manifestation of the heisenberg uncertainty principle ... :o

heisenberg wrote: I believe that the existence of the classical "path" can be pregnantly formulated as follows: The "path" comes into existence only when we observe it.

> Liked this. Liked the sounds and your restraint. Would have liked it to be like...20mins longer...but. : )

thanks for the listen and comments. personally, i like it at 2 minutes, but i can understand what you mean about length. if i were to release a piece like this, it would be in a suite with other similar pieces, total length maybe 10-15 minutes. or perhaps in an album this piece would fall between other, longer and less odd pieces.

a question for you: do you really think people (whoever they are) could take 20 straight minutes of this kind of music?
Last edited by rachmiel on Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

> the aural manifestation of the heisenberg uncertainty principle ...

i love this! and it fits the piece beautifully ... i tend to think of some of my pieces as rohrschach images, you know those symmetrical abstract pictures that psychiatrists used to use to get a sense of what was going on inside their patients? the thing about rohrshachs is that they don't actually represent anything specific, but they *mean* different specific things to different people.

thanks. :-)

Yep! Particle or wave? I think of it as a Concerto for 25 People in Brooks Brothers Suits with a Variety of Coins, Rocks, Ceramics, Pottery Shards and Plasticized Slinkys. Very cool and VERY zen...whatever that is. Thanks!

> think of it as a Concerto for 25 People in Brooks Brothers Suits with a Variety of Coins, Rocks, Ceramics, Pottery Shards and Plasticized Slinkys.

now *that* concert would inspire me to leave my house! ;-)

Dont like the silences but... :love: the rest!!!

Like Black from the Reaktor User Lib. but with much more restraint!!!

Very nice - too short!

Dave

> Dont like the silences

please elaborate. (you know me: i'm a glutton for instructive brutal honesty!) do they feel too precious to you? too dead? too self consciously new music? what if they were a bit shorter? what if they weren't complete silences but filled with a very background drone ... or breathing?

just so you know: i'm not asking to get an *answer* that i can then base a revision around. the silences work for me. i just really want to understand how they work (or not) for other people. :-)

thanks for the review!

Oh no, its not that they dont work for me... more so that I like where the sounds are going but before they (kind of) solidify, they are gone...

Im not sure Im explaining myself but I hope you get the idea Im after - again, just an opinion.

The sounds are like the jumping off point for so many ideas that they die before their birth???

On another vein, if the sounds degraded into a spectral mess / reverb tail / mish mash - that would make more sense to my head. Saying that not knowing when/what comes next or when it stops really holds my interest as that method of composing is something Im not used to!

I hope you have an idea of what Im on about :)

Dave

mckenic wrote:Oh no, its not that they dont work for me... more so that I like where the sounds are going but before they (kind of) solidify, they are gone...

Im not sure Im explaining myself but I hope you get the idea Im after - again, just an opinion.

The sounds are like the jumping off point for so many ideas that they die before their birth???

hehe what a world eh...

thats what i love about it, it almost pulls you into one little frame then darts off tangent, this is what i love about rachmiels ensembles, the way your never really sure what to expect 100%, he keeps us on our toes.

and yes i could take a 20 minute version, but yeah in future try fillin some of the gaps maybe with drones or other sounds, but not all the gaps :o

keep em guessin ;)

> Oh no, its not that the silences dont work for me... more so that I like where the sounds are going but before they (kind of) solidify, they are gone...

yes. i'm beginning to become conscious of the fact that this is how i seem to hear music. always have ... even back in my student days. i hear moments that come and go, waves in the ocean. maybe that's why persistent grooves are so hard for me?

> The sounds are like the jumping off point for so many ideas that they die before their birth???

i totally understand what you mean. but to me, the ideas *blossom* at what you call their death. that's why the silences are there, to allow the music to form in the listener's head.

> On another vein, if the sounds degraded into a spectral mess / reverb tail / mish mash - that would make more sense to my head.

sometimes this happens, sometimes not. i love both sounds: the first suggests longevity, the second abrupt ending.

great comments! thanks. :-)

> thats what i love about it, it almost pulls you into one little frame then darts off tangent, this is what i love about rachmiels ensembles, the way your never really sure what to expect 100%, he keeps us on our toes.

:-) he's got me pegged. ;-)

> and yes i could take a 20 minute version, but yeah in future try fillin some of the gaps maybe with drones or other sounds, but not all the gaps

yes. this was for a reaktions compilation in free gruuve, so that's what it concentrates on. it's also an "experiment" for me (like every piece i do!) in how far i could push the minimal/silence aspect of a piece without crushing the musicality.

> keep em guessin

all ways. :-)

thanks, herr doktor vuRtNik.

To me it sounds a bit like:
"Muuum :D Look! I can twist beats!"
or:
"Gosh how I love those good ole Reaktor ensembles" ...
nothing more than that.
The quality of the whole is great though :)

> To me it sounds a bit like: "Muuum Look! I can twist beats!" or: "Gosh how I love those good ole Reaktor ensembles" ... nothing more than that.

this attitude saddens me ... but i've run into it before, and i will again. i think it's the price one pays for *really* taking chances ... and for celebrating one's personal vision (particularly if that vision is like extremely un-conventional!).

> The quality of the whole is great though

thanks for your opinion. :-) it's hard for me to put the first and second parts together. you obviously don't think much of it, but you say the "quality" is great. do you mean the production quality?

Return to “Music Cafe”