february contest ... RESULTS

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

My heartfelt special thanks goes to none other than utm for his lyrics penned just for me in his submission this month. I stated it in my review and I'll have a go at it again.

I'm really and completely touched by your thinking of my songs when putting pen to paper, or fingers to keyboard.

Maybe we need to have a contest to figure out how to write a 'Not Good Enough' song. I could assist with a body of work for reference material for Knockman and Oddbod's Finger.

Now, seriously, I do want to congratulate the winners and everyone who participated. I look around in the middle ground territory amongst my fellow 'Not Good Enough' participants and some of those tracks were those that I saved off for future enjoyment, so I guess I'm in some good company, at least to my ears. Sorry if that brings anyone else in middle ground down - to know that your songs were enjoyed by me.

I think I'm going to start keeping track of how well I pick the top 10 vote tally persons. This month, my picks were as follows; first number was my pick, 2nd number is the position in the final tally:

1 10
2 31
3 4
4 17
5 9
6 25
7 6
8 38
9 5
10 11

I count 55 total entries. I could score my ability to pick the top 10 spots by taking the subtracting the final position places from 55, and comparing that to the overall best score that I could have which would have been to pick all the 10 finalists in the order they were placed.

So, my score for picking the winners this month is 394/505 = 0.78

Anyone else care to try that has spare time on lunch break?

-Scott

I like the idea of a 'Not Good Enough' theme - I've mentioned it before.. Doing a 'B-Sides' month, where you have to do a track that doesn't quite cut the mustard, but has sufficient going for it that it was worth releasing with a prime cut - maybe it has a great solo or hook, or the lyrics are quite poignant; or an instrumental version of the A-Side [my fav B-Side was on the 'Grease' single, where it was instrumental apart from the offbeat backing singer echo of 'grease'...].

The cheese month and ugly month have been similar, but a B-Side month would not be trying to be bad, more trying to not quite be good enough :)

Anyway..

congrats you winners - well deserved, and thx for those who thought that Gonville was worth voting for!

See you this month ;)

DSP

Well, *my* intent for Ugly Babies was in fact the 'not good enough, but it holds a fond place in my heart' idea. As Scoops sang, "We love our ugly babies, young and old."

I blame myself for the "clever" relabelling of 'Ugly Babies', from which a great many people took 'Ugly' to be the important part. That was not my intent, and perhaps I should keep cultural idiom differences in mind in the future! Should've tidied up the description, too: a few too many concepts sprinkled in there that should've been tidied up after they evolved.

- m
Markleford's band, The James Rocket: http://www.TheJamesRocket.com/
Markleford's tracks: http://www.markleford.com/music/
Markleford's free MFX, DXi2, DR-008 modules: http://www.TenCrazy.com/

Hovmod wrote:securing us the worst medal catch in olympic history - which according to the tabloids is a scandal...)
...but in Toronto '88 we got only 11 medals and not a single gold. :)
My Soundcloud Too many pieces of music finish far too long after the end. - Stravinsky

:o

Thanks a lot for all the votes. Didn't really expect to do so well.
Congrats to Oddbodfingers and Knockman,your songs are great and deserved the success.
Thanks to all the reviewers, and of course to Markleford for keeping the contest alive.

This is the second time I ever made it in the top three, and the first time was ... February 2005. So, see you in a year I guess :P

cheers,

Niko

Wow, what a great month. Y'know, sometimes B-sides are the best.

Congrats to the winners. And thanks to everybody who put my song in their Top 10. I was pretty shocked that it did so well (#17, I think) - especially given how much trouble I had in narrowing my own list down below 20!

This was my first time in the contest, and it was terrific fun. You guys are great. I hope to have time to enter again next month.

Toronto 88? But they have never hosted an Olympics.

Beardedone wrote:Toronto 88? But they have never hosted an Olympics.
... well aren't all Canadian cities the same?

-Scott

Beardedone wrote:Toronto 88? But they have never hosted an Olympics.
:oops: Just checking if there are any Calgarians here...
My Soundcloud Too many pieces of music finish far too long after the end. - Stravinsky

This was a great deal of fun. Congrats to the winners.

Is it true that Oddbods has started a software shop ? :hihi:
Congrats and Tx ! Sorry, I'm in a hurry, I've got to work on this month's song ! (Oeps, now you know I will participate... .. .) :lol:
Carpo diem ergo sum !

Congrats to the medallists, and thanks to all the contestants -- very enjoyable!

Special thanks to Markleford and Scoops for contest admin stuff.
5 twelve

havran wrote:Congrats to the medallists, and thanks to all the contestants -- very enjoyable!

Special thanks to Markleford and Scoops for contest admin stuff.
Thanks, but I'm just the scorekeeper, thats all.

Scoops
Bunch O Stuff

Scoops wrote:Thanks, but I'm just the scorekeeper, thats all.
But a great help nonetheless in this regard. Thanks!

- m
Markleford's band, The James Rocket: http://www.TheJamesRocket.com/
Markleford's tracks: http://www.markleford.com/music/
Markleford's free MFX, DXi2, DR-008 modules: http://www.TenCrazy.com/

Markleford wrote:
Scoops wrote:Thanks, but I'm just the scorekeeper, thats all.
But a great help nonetheless in this regard. Thanks!

- m
Glad to help!!!
Now for future reference, if anybody feels the need to rise in the standings, I have a bank account that would need some attention :shock: :o :-o :D :lol:

LMAO

Scoops
Bunch O Stuff

Return to “Music Cafe”