Foliativ - more goatarnce

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello,

I spent too much time on this one (I started 2 it weeks ago, made the one I posted earlier in between, and finally turned it into something decent) I think, and it's probably too long...

Inspired by X-Dream, our own happiness era (pumping modern stuff with stellar production will come a bit later ;))

http://www.foliativ.net/mp3/in_progress ... 20goa1.mp3

Thanks for any comments, especially on the mix, on which I struggled a bit (maybe not so wise choice of sounds to start with)

A goa trance track can be too long? :shock: Well ok, the longest one I've heard (Symbiote - Tiara, released by the late netlabel Innerverse) was over 20 mins and I admit it was a bit long. :hihi:

Ahh, the track begins with classic analogue bass sweeps. The bass & kick combination has little drive and punch (the kick is weak and I'd say the bass is a bit too loud compared to the kick), so the track feels a bit like it's treading water. But maybe you meant it to be laidback? Lots of nice layers that work well together, but some synths are a bit too repetitive. With the exception of the bottom freq range, I'd say this has a good technical sound quality, except the gated synth at 5:15 feels a bit thin to my taste and the hihats are a bit too much in the background. Not too long a track IMO. All in all, a good track, well done.

I agree that the kick sounds a little weak and the hats would benefit from a little sparkle.
But apart from that, the synth stuff rocks, both in sounds and arrangement.
No problem length wise, kept me interested all the way through.
I prefer you earlier post out of the two, but this one could be fine with just a little attention.

Thanks, that's the kind of critics I was after. Thanks for the compliments too :)

I agree the low end could be improved (the harder part for me production-wise!), I think I picked a wrong kick+bass combination to begin with.
And about the hats, that's funnny, rendered a first version where they were far too loud, and then that one where they are too low :?

jivamukti : love really long songs myself, but it's harder to keep the listener interested til the end! Big fan of Pleiadians - Modulation for example, but it looses the plot after the 11 minutes mark I think.

The kick needs to be way fatter to match today's standards, and it has to gel with the bass well to create the trance bottom-end and the bass sounded like drifting here and there, not really determined. The bass patch as such sounded ok to me and I think it has more to do with what you play with it.

Have you checked out Isratrance.com's production forum? It has a ton of info on kicks & basses.

jivamukti wrote:The bass patch as such sounded ok to me and I think it has more to do with what you play with it.

Have you checked out Isratrance.com's production forum? It has a ton of info on kicks & basses.
Yes I checked it a bit, however I'd like to avoid the bass between the beats thing (which is a lot easier to have it sound good but a bit too formulaic).

I know about sidechaining, which I did a bit, and about carving the eq for the kick and the bass which I tried to do as well, but not sure what to do.

Are the kick and bass supposed to have some frequencies boosted as well as frequencies cut or should they be "bassy" enough by themselves ? Seems like the kicks I make (drumatic mostly) or find always lack bass.

The feeling about the bass being a bit dodgy may be due to 1/ too much compression/limiting on the whole song 2/ there's a delay on the bass. Now that I think about it I should have rendered it separately and edited, because it causes a little flanged effect...

Thanks for the advices, I know I should practice more, but I prefer turning the cutoff knob :)

Return to “Music Cafe”