This Mistake

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

This_Mistake.mp3

My first composition in like five years, so be gentle.

Comments, please! :)

-Mike
Asus P5W DH Deluxe | Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 | CORSAIR XMS2 4GB DDR2 800 | EVGA GeForce 8800GT KO 512MB | Thermaltake ToughPower 750W PSU | RME Fireface 800 | UAD-2 Duo | Cubase 4.2 |

Soft rock "torch"ballads are not my thing but you put lots of good effort into this and it shows,so this reply from me is more to bump this back up so it has more time to be heard.

I'm not aware...are ppl still doing rock ballads?(don't listen to radio anymore)
The performance is good,I guess.Singing is surely good.
The song composition seems very generic to me...but what do I know?
Maybe somebody else knows how to review this song better then me.
....................Don`t blame me for 'The Roots', I just live here. :x

I guess the only thing that makes this a "rock ballad" is the piano + distorted guitars. It felt like the right combo. The only way to maybe make it more "modern" sounding is to make the guitars considerably MORE distorted or LESS distorted. Or lose the piano, which I'm not prepared to do. I dunno. It just seemed like the right treatment of the subject matter.

Anyway, thanks for the bump!
Asus P5W DH Deluxe | Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 | CORSAIR XMS2 4GB DDR2 800 | EVGA GeForce 8800GT KO 512MB | Thermaltake ToughPower 750W PSU | RME Fireface 800 | UAD-2 Duo | Cubase 4.2 |

You have a really good voice, Mike. I think I see what annode is talking about in this one, but I would describe it a little differently. It sounds like a mix of yesterday and today; Coldplay/Keane in the verses and intro, then a bit 80s in the chorus. Nothing wrong with it, especially if that's what you're shooting for. And you're absolutely right about music today. Seems like Linkin Park thrash guitar during choruses or very clean guitar in less harsh music. In any case, good performance here.

Thanks so much for the comments and compliments.

I may play with the guitars on the chorus so more. I'm taking a break from the song to give myself some space so I can listen with fresh ears again in a couple days.

Lovely track Mike, hope we don't have to wait another 5 years for the next!
Image Image

Very well done mike !
Nice vocals and good production, excellent track

Cheers

Gentle ? OK I will be VERY gentle ! 8)

It's a fantastic track, Mike, the kind of track I like to keep on my HD. And I can add, like Migal : you have a very good voice.
.:darl_chenu:.

Thanks for the comments! Keep 'em coming. :)

Very well composed. Taste doesn't matter, the production is perfect and I couldn't agree more regarding your voice: It's fantastic!

Hi Mikem (48 posts in four years - anti-vurt...)

This is not my usual cup of tea. But I think you have an interesting voice and is obviously very talented. I think the composition and the backing are both very old fashioned. I'm sure there is a market for this, but it would be interesting to hear your talent in more challenging circumstances.

Mikem,

This is a great song with a fantastic arrangement and near perfect production. And you have easily one of the best voices I've heard on KVR.

It reminds me of the 80's bigtime. Which I'm feeling nostalgic for lately.

Funny, because in the 80's I couldn't stand this type of music (I was into Anthrax, Metallica, Megadeth, Iron Maiden...). Now I hear some stuff I disliked then and appreciate it.

Are you using the CSR all over these tracks? I can hear/feel space, but the tails aren't thick and gooey...they seem to disappear into the track. Not that this is a bad thing.

I have to agree, awesome track...great voice...:)
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Nice voice mike.
The songs remind my a little something like Europe band or bon jovi in the 80's.
Use some nice modern drumkits. Start with an electric drumkit and very nice harmonic piano for explode later with a very rocky drumkit and an electric guitar distorted. The voice more agressive, more choir. The tune is very nice and for who like this 80's style it's perfect.
if you are interested to update your song just post it here.
Ciao
Andrea Pettinao sound designer
www.pettinhouse.com samples libraries for you music
Guitar, Drum and Bass sample libraries for Kontakt
www.pettinhouse.com

Thanks for the continued comments.

I guess it's kinda sad to hear electric guitar with moderate distortion, clean piano, and fairly standard bass and drums described as 80's. Couldn't that also be 70's, 60's, 90's or 00's? Maybe I'll crap up the vocals a bit--distort them and auto-tune them to death--so they'll sound modern. ;)

But yeah, I'm not done with it. I'm 36, so admittedly a product of the 80's. But I'll see what I can do to "update" it. My fear is that for every change I make, some will like it more, others will think I've ruined it. Oh well. I'm pretty flexible myself--I did it the way I wanted it, but I'm not married to it at this point (yet).

Return to “Music Cafe”