Alternative PopRok-N-B tune, Angst, Vocals, Asian Influences

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello kvr,
Yes. I'm back for a short time.

Back with a vengeance...hehe...

http://www.jordana.org/tracks/BackWithAVengeance.mp3

By now you know the deal...
Have listen, play it again, check the lyrics, post your comments, piss off Major Label Record Execs! Fight the Power! Keep it clean even if the tune is grimey..

heh heh... welcome back Lady J! I'd say I missed you, but your ego is inflated enough as it is IMHO :hihi:

can't listen right now though.

cptgone wrote:heh heh... welcome back Lady J! I'd say I missed you, but your ego is inflated enough as it is IMHO :hihi:

can't listen right now though.
Ok, thanks for the welcome. Please listen at your leisure. I'd like to know what you think.

too r n b for my taste but very well produced and structured...

I'd lay of the autotune a tad though

Ben

aye, definately not to my tastes, but very clean and well produced.

i can see this making a lot of money.

i second the autotune suggestion though, there are few spots where its very harsh.

what do you mean by harsh? It's being used as an effect not unlike a talkbox or the autotune in Brandy's "What About That". Autotune is just another synth in my book and bag of tricks.

Lady J wrote:what do you mean by harsh? It's being used as an effect not unlike a talkbox or the autotune in Brandy's "What About That". Autotune is just another synth in my book and bag of tricks.
harsh to my ears :oops:

in that case, if it was intentional you're all right. certainly at 2:02 ish it makes you warble (don't really know the correct term)

i'm not a fan of autotune really (not on vocals anyaways)

steve.

it just seems overused.. like.. "look at me.. I've got a new toy... "...

Nay bad, but I'll wager you need to be a bit more extreme between yer be-yoncay bits and yer shouty PE/Rage against the f**king machine bits. You know how to play the heavy geetar, go for it in those sections (love the R&B bits), and f**king nail it. If you're serious about this genre collision malarky then use the best bits of either and don't be shy. :D

MTV drivel, with a touch of Kriss Kross doing the 'angst' part...sounds like them anyway.

Kriminal wrote:MTV drivel, with a touch of Kriss Kross doing the 'angst' part...sounds like them anyway.
Still on the speed? :-o Personally, I always prefer Kiss FM drivel.

Damn! This is very ambitous...is this "prog RnB?" :lol: Seriously: how come you aren't signed yet?

I hear a lot of Destiny's/Sean Paul influence here, (I guess the military drum) I like the mesh of influences. I guess if I have anything critical to say, it's that I find the lyrics in the heavy chorus a little hard to make out, and that the crazy chorus is a bit of a let down after that big, smooth, groovy buildup. But obviously, for the message of the song, it's probably the right choice.

Great tune, great mixing job.

bduffy wrote:Damn! This is very ambitous...is this "prog RnB?"
I *am* a fan of Dream Theatre and recently saw them play in my hood.

:lol: Seriously: how come you aren't signed yet?

Read the books, Rip It Up: Rock n Roll Rulebreakers and Rip It Up: The Black Experience in Rock n Roll that will answer your question.

In short: "The Industry" doesn't know what to do with an BlackAmeriasian transsexual who writes and performs her own music, plays 5 instruments and sings. (Hey Prince are you listening?) I'm too punk for punk, too revolutionary for dance, too "normal" for avant-garde and too jaded to be pigeonholed.

Most big labels have been unable to break out of this idea that if you look a certain way then you must sing a certain way, act a certain way and fit within a very narrow genre. Its also very one sided.. I mean Mr Timberlake, Gwen, etc can go urban and no one blinks. F-ing double standards are why you don't see more experimentation/cross genre stuff come to the surface in "urban" music.

Someone told me Maverick was interested (that would have been AWESOME to be on the same label that signed some of my influences/heros Meshell Ndegeocello, The Prodigy, not to mention being owned by Madonna) but then they ran out of money..... But yeah, I will just keep plugging along. Someday very soon the world will be ready and then I will rule :)
I hear a lot of Destiny's/Sean Paul influence here,
No, you hear a lot of their influences. We are both drawing from the same eastern influences.

I think this track is more influenced by one of my fav bands, Garbage than either DC/Beyoncé or Sean Paul. I guess it comes down to what one is familiar with. now "Mr Right (Now)" WAS influenced by DC. :)
(I guess the military drum)
yes. but that also could have been a Tabla but changed to a different drum sound... :p
I like the mesh of influences. I guess if I have anything critical to say, it's that I find the lyrics in the heavy chorus a little hard to make out, and that the crazy chorus is a bit of a let down after that big, smooth, groovy buildup. But obviously, for the message of the song, it's probably the right choice.
Exactly. Some things cannot be conveyed with a soft smooth RnB voice/vibe, it's a mainstream racially confining music prison constructed by beancounters rather than musicians that limits human expression to bubble gum lullibies, faux gangsterism and fake spirituality and "Soul™".

My tendancy is to just say "F it" amnd take it in the direction Donkey Tugger said. I play heavy guitar but I was holding it back even though it was original written as a straight up rock tune. I took the guitar out and replaced it with a synth line so as not to loose that "demographic" that is my "natural base".
Great tune, great mixing job.
Would not have been possible without all the kvr threads on mixing and people critiquing my mixes.

All that and it still makes me think about Kim Possible...
I salute your effort, and arrogance is obviously a good quality in this business.

But I agree. Lose the autotune.
Rakkervoksen

Lady J wrote:[ I'm too punk for punk, too revolutionary for dance, too "normal" for avant-garde and too jaded to be pigeonholed.
oh i dunno, bland bloke in a dress seems to fit quite well.

Return to “Music Cafe”