LotD: Corpse On A Stick (METAL!)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I just finished a rough mix for a new track and thought I should share it with my creepy friends here at KVR. This wonderful little death metal-diddy is called, "Corpse On A Stick". Needless to say, it has a lot to do with everyone's favorite false messiah, JC of Naz (As he's known in the hood).

I've written lyrics for it, but I've not had time to record them yet. It'll probably be a few weeks/months before I get around to it. The lyrics are extremely sacreligious and I expect the neighbors will probably call the police during the recording process. Ah well, no rest for the wicked, not even the very wicked.

http://www.filelodge.com/files/hdd6/148 ... 0Stick.mp3
Excuse all the blood.

OK, a bit of feedback:
It gets a bit repetitious and dull without the lyrics. As well as singing, you might want to look at the drums. They sound a bit too programmed, and it doesn't quite swing. I only listened at work, so I can't really comment on the mix, but the guitars sound a little thin to be proper evil, and I missed a thundering bass on the bottom. I think that if you let the guitars be a bit more fluid against the drum beat it will make the song more organic and interesting. The guitar and drums make the same rhythm most of the time.

It's not quite wicked yet, and to a Norwegian it doesn't sound really death yet either - but I see a potential. :D
Rakkervoksen

Hovmod wrote:OK, a bit of feedback:
It gets a bit repetitious and dull without the lyrics. As well as singing, you might want to look at the drums. They sound a bit too programmed, and it doesn't quite swing. I only listened at work, so I can't really comment on the mix, but the guitars sound a little thin to be proper evil, and I missed a thundering bass on the bottom. I think that if you let the guitars be a bit more fluid against the drum beat it will make the song more organic and interesting. The guitar and drums make the same rhythm most of the time.

It's not quite wicked yet, and to a Norwegian it doesn't sound really death yet either - but I see a potential. :D
As I said, it's a rough mix. Everything will be re-recorded before it's finished. I usually write the song in loops for the sake of arranging. Once that's done I re-record all the parts in one swoop.

As for the drums I have an e-drum kit specificially for this sort of thing, but for the sake of arranging I also sequence my drums. In a few weeks/months there should be a final version. This is just a rough mix, but I was excited enough about it that I thought it was worth sharing. Apparently very few KVRians have shared my enthusiasam over the last couple of hours :lol:

Anyway, thanks for the feedback Hovmod.
Excuse all the blood.

Yeah, honestly, i don't hear this as death metal. More like hard alternative rock. Unless, when you re record it, you make it sound heavier.
Best to hear it finished.
Overall, it didn't grab me at all. Sorry, just some feedback.

Okay, sorry I disappointed everyone.
Excuse all the blood.

Probably best not to start criticizing yet as it's not in a final form but I'm looking forward to hear the completed version. Nice to listen to for a change something which is more close to my own musical tastes than the "usual stuff" offered here.

But where are blastbeats? :wink:

Cool to hear something of yours uploaded to the cafe!

:D

Mix is everything, and you're not done yet, so no point saying much there, aside from maybe suggesting another guitar track laid down. The track's hurting without vocals, but I know how much of a gap vocals for this kind of material fills, so can't judge anything till they're in place.

Work it, YO..

:troll:
Jens, "B.t.w.: it appears I was wrong"

Well its true it doesnt move to much, and so vocals CAN certainly fill the void if done right,, and for me it would be hard to hear death metal vocals, but in a way the melody guitar reminded me of Unleashed! Johnny Hedlund!! haha ALthough Im not sure thats actually a compliment, although I am more slagging Unleashed, not you!!

Also someone mentioned about , what seemed to be, constant drums, and I know this is a rough mix, but the drums could also play a huge role in moving this song forward, so they can surely use some more excitement if the mood should hit you...
link to my Asspace page(Myspace) This has become a necessary evil http://www.myspace.com/worldofshit1

I've laid down some test vocals and they do help alot. Unfortunately I've got a lot of stuff going on over the course of the next few weeks/months that are going to prevent me from being able to do them properly any time soon.

In addition to that, I'm not quite sure what style of vocals this song needs. Death growl? Black metal rasp? Shouting?

I'm a bit torn at the moment. I've not really done a lot of vocals for my music up to this point, but I'd like to start. Unfortunately that means I need to choose a style, which sucks because I love mixing styles. I've even convinced my girlfriend to lay down some operatic soprano vocals for some of my music (Not on THIS particular, as I don't think that would fit very well :lol: )

Anyway, my style is a little odd. I listen to a lot of old-school black metal (Darkthrone, Satyricon, etc) and find myself taking a lot of inspiration from it. I love the style of two guitars playing against one another, nothing flashy, just going for a feeling. I also take a lot of influence from goth metal and hard rock. It's a rather weird mix that doesn't seem to appeal to many people aside from myself, I guess.

Still, I like it and that's all that counts.
Excuse all the blood.

Low growls/high screams ala Napalm Death, etc..

:party:
Jens, "B.t.w.: it appears I was wrong"

Return to “Music Cafe”