Miles Deep [Plunge POP - female vocal]

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Just wanted to share a new song. This isn't absolutely the last mix, so I'm still soliciting ideas. One thing we're going to do is put some handclaps on 2 and 4 of the bridge.

Thoughts?

Miles Deep

Thanks!

[EDIT] Sorry, here's what was used:
Voice - Leora
Guitar - Me on Takamine
Everything else - Logic Pro 7 (switched from DP a couple months back)

nice pop song (too predictable to my taste though). I esp. like the bass and vocals.

Ohhh - a new Plunge tune!
Excellent production as usual. And of course a very capable voice.

However, this time I'd have some "complaints".
Seeing this as a pop song (which it most certainly is), I find the intro too long. Perhaps it should just be enhanced, no idea.
I also find all the telephone voice passage too long. The same goes for the "serious" beat. Takes almost half of the song until it kicks in. And after that half song, the "real" hooks are sort of underrepresented. In fact, what I consider to be the chorus is only happening once in the groovier part of the song.
I think, even if it'd make things even more predictable, that I'd ditch the telephone vocals for the first chorus already and also start the real groove there.
I'd use something else then to enhance the second verse and chorus. Which would be my next "complaint".
I'd probably like to hear something "gritty", such as a semi-distorted arpeggio guitar, starting at the second verse. Well, maybe that's just the guitarist in me talking, but be it so ;)
I'm sure there'd be other solutions as well.
Bottomline: I find some things to be slightly lengthy while others seem to be underrepresented.
But then, I'm not a famous pop producer either, so what do I know...

Thanks for sharing anyways, it's always great to hear something coming from some admittedly gifted musicians.
There are 3 kinds of people:
Those who can do maths and those who can't.

Cptgone: Thanks for listening and for the feedback.

Sascha Franck: Duly noted complaints. I am not crazy about the extra 4 bars at the beginning. I wanted something to build a little bit, but that may be unnecessary. Re: the main groove coming in, I think I want to leave it where it is, but I think I should up the ante a little bit at the first chorus. Perhaps something between the main groove and the beginning. Maybe bring in the acoustic guitar?

I like the idea of a e-guitar arpeggio of some kind.

Yeah, we felt the bridge was pretty hooky, but I didn't think it would work to do it twice. I might rethink some of the arrangement now.

Thanks again!

Hi Jeff

(Didn't we discuss some kind of strange collab a long time ago?)

Like the song. Seems a bit hyped in the higher mids and highs. But I'm sure that's very pop. The singer is cool.

The synth drums from 2.18 and a few secs forward are too cheasy IMO.

I'd take the first verse down to acoustic and voice - very transparent and fragile - and then make the "outro" more (pop-) rocking.

Yes, we did discuss a collab back in the day. I'd still be game. Right now Gridlocked is waiting on me to do something with an idea he has sent me, though. I can't promise anything really soon!

Thanks for the feedback. Cheesy. Are you turned off by the filter or the beat? I may sub something else in that break. I was wanting to do a partial backwards version of the loop but for some reason it wasn't very intuitive in Logic (being an Apple Loop it didn't want to reverse the file).

I'll post an update after tonight. Leora and I will be working on it.

Esp. the filter. Let me know. I'd like to do something with you as a singer, so production would be on my shoulders.

New song using the Miles Deep vocals (with permission of course :P) on my myspace site, just click the link in my sig!

Gridlocked wrote:New song using the Miles Deep vocals (with permission of course :P) on my myspace site, just click the link in my sig!
I think I still like the original more, but dude, I've been listening to "Perspective" again - what a freaking wonderful song! Still absolutely up my alley.
There are 3 kinds of people:
Those who can do maths and those who can't.

Thanks, I'd love to do more work with Plunge!

Thanks GL and Sascha. Perspective will be on my CD that's coming out in October (fingers crossed).

Leora and I want to do a cd together and we're going to enlist Gavin (gridlocked)'s help on several tracks, I think. Can't wait!

Hi,

sounds perfectly for tv, advertising - that's ok and compliments for that.

For my personal taste this sort of "song" has been overdone (including the harmonies, arpeggios, tha feelful clischee woman voice and what she says), sorry that I said anything,
as I said good working for the above mentioned purposes - but whhhyy again THIS?

Now I shutup and jump into my hole :oops:
Symphony Nr.1
Meet the Cities Repair Team Unimportant laughter
music has become meaningless...we just keep doing it

plunge wrote:Thanks GL and Sascha. Perspective will be on my CD that's coming out in October (fingers crossed).

Leora and I want to do a cd together and we're going to enlist Gavin (gridlocked)'s help on several tracks, I think. Can't wait!
It will? You are? Excellant! :D :D :D

I'm looking forward to it, can't wait!!! I'm currently in the process of moving (well trying!) so a new project once I'm set up would be fantastic!!!

:hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

Huh. Can't say as I like this at all.

And I think the vocals are particularly weak, though I can't decide whether it just the sound (not enough warm frequencies?) or the technique itself.

Not that it's of much help. I'm just sort of thrown that I *don't* like it, given typical plunge-quality work!

- m
Markleford's band, The James Rocket: http://www.TheJamesRocket.com/
Markleford's tracks: http://www.markleford.com/music/
Markleford's free MFX, DXi2, DR-008 modules: http://www.TenCrazy.com/

Return to “Music Cafe”