June Contest: GOSSIP

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

mellotronaut wrote:"It's like a chicken with Parkinson's disease trying to dance to hip-hop," said one onlooker about funxi's strange, but highly appreciated dance-duckings.

"And what about the giggle-girls, funxi?", asked his fellow mello from KELMI after the show...... .
If you Google chicken dance -- I just discovered -- there's a shitpile (noun carefully selected) of links to various kinds of idiocy. My version (and the name) comes from a few years back, when my weird movements to Rootsman Skankin' were likened to the FCD.

As for the giggle-girls, well, being a bit older now, I'm hanging out with the lipstickers rather than the crewcut-and-doc marten set...better for my old roue image...

/funxi
Every Potemkin village needs its idiot savant

Huuiiiii!
Better giggle-, than google-girls! That's a bit too much for a mello's life......Better, we do the chicken!

mellogoogleknockout
"It dreamed itself along"

I just wanted to pop my head in to say GREAT JOB to all that entered this month! This was the hardest month for me to judge ever due to the high quality entries. I had to favor entries which were a bit off the expected sounds most would think when you say the word "Fight". I can honestly say HMs to everyone else who entered but didnt get my vote. I wish there had been a top 20 this month! And finally THANK YOU for all the votes this month especially what I believe is my first ever #1.

slartibartfast wrote: ccollinsmith - Fighting Soldiers. Interesting treatment of this song. I like the machine gun percussion - but I am not sure that the concept holds attention for a full two minutes. Maybe you could have glitched up the backing song more and more as the track went on?
Thanks for the comments. I considered glitching up the backing song but decided against it - largely because my spouse had heard enough "Green Beret" in two days to last a lifetime. :lol:

Thanks a lot DrApostropheX for your vote, and congrats to all for your entries : such a great month indeed :)

As corny, stupid, uncool and as old-fashioned as it may appear, I still insist on thanking everyone who votes for me -- I really appreciate it. ;)

nikp2000, knockman, rockstar_not, dreibel, _niko_, donkey tugger, DrApostropheX, Col.G,

and freeztar for a number one!! :D

And thanks to everyone who HM'd or even just listened! :)

One thing I learned in this months entry from various comments -- I think I used too much L2, which brought up some otherwise subtle sounds to a strange level of 'loudness' and may have killed some natural-sounding transients, etc. At first few listens, I thought it sounded good, but on subsequent listens, I don't like it. It sounds too 'canned' or something mixed by Dr. Dre for Radio Only. :hihi:

Experiments over the last two days have convinced me now to stay away from the L2 on mastering, and go with a multi-band compressor (which one I am still deciding), and if I use the L2 at all, I might use it on certain individual instrument and/or FX tracks that may need a sonic boost.

I also think that everyone who labours to produce an original 'specifically-made-for-the-contest' song has balls (well, there are exceptions I think -- sorry Jordana) and benefits mightily from the learning experience, and has my respect. ;)

Now, if someone could post me bail to the Wildchurch County Sheriff's Dept., I can get back to me mixing desk! :lol:

Cheers,
Alex 8)

I'd like to take this time to thank everyone who voted for my entry, and for the constructive criticism you've given to me for "Year Of The Angry Rabbit". It's probably my best showing so far in a contest, and it's nice to see I made it as high as #3 in one top ten. It's certainly got to make me try harder.

I agree with the criticisms about the thin and trebly sounds on the guitar synth stuff - I used ReFX's Beast for that, mostly becuase it tracks so good with the GM-70, but the sound does lead to be thin. As I think of it, what I should've done was to bounce that through something like my Guitar Combos software like the Plexi Box, and some phasing. That or maybe spend more time auditioning/critiquing sounds on different VSTs.

The vocals are a different nut - I happened to be having an allergy attack that day when I recorded them, which is why they suck so bad :oops:

Again, thanks to all, and to a really strong contest lineup!
"Ooo, look at me, I'm making people HAPPY! I'm the Magical Man from Happyland! In a gumdrop house on Lollypop Laaaaaaane!" - Homer Simpson

Hi slartibartfast,
Thank you for reviewing my song.
slartibartfast wrote: KRITA YUGA - 2get - This seems rather too completive a track for a fight theme. Interesting sounds and nice variation within this track though.
Well, that's true. Next time, I'll submit a song that fits the theme better.

thanks for the reviews on my insectoids track,

sorry that I missed the voting, or isn't it ended yet?

I think the voting has another 6 hours or so -- until the USA hit's July 1st.. I think... :shrug:

knockman-7. deaf dunderkwac - show on. charge: (free) exposure, 2 counts (woo hoo- a VOTE!!11!!)

runagate- 2 - Deaf Dunderkwak - Show On (nice fanfaronade, hilarious outro) (wtf- runagates' got a new drug or sumtin...WE'RE #2...WE'RE #2 :lol:)

ARRRRRRRRRG
Laguna rising- 01 deaf dunderkwac - Show On
i got a number wu-un
i got a number wu-un
i got a number wu-un
i got a number wu-un
i got a number wu-un
i got a number wu-un
i got a number wu-un
i got a number wu-un
i got a number wu-un
i got a number wu-un
i got a number wu-un
i got a number wu-un
i got a number wu-un
i got a number wu-un
i got a number wu-un
i got a number wu-un

Gosh...Thanks!!!
a #1 a #2 AND a #7
for entertaining porpoises only

slartibartfast wrote: antardhyan - fight club. Infectious groove on this one. The guitar stabs are a little old fashioned and out of date, but well done. This is one of the better tracks this month.
Thanks for the review.

antardhyan wrote:
slartibartfast wrote: antardhyan - fight club. Infectious groove on this one. The guitar stabs are a little old fashioned and out of date, but well done. This is one of the better tracks this month.
Thanks for the review.
Note that some of us *like* the classic (not 'out of date'! ;)) guitar stabs. :hihi:

Reminds me of the heyday of electro-industrial guitarish coldwave EBM (or however you'd like to label it). But maybe I'm just old fashioned, too! :D (I did rather like Swamp Terrorists back then...)

- m
Markleford's band, The James Rocket: http://www.TheJamesRocket.com/
Markleford's tracks: http://www.markleford.com/music/
Markleford's free MFX, DXi2, DR-008 modules: http://www.TenCrazy.com/

liqih wrote:sorry that I missed the voting, or isn't it ended yet?
Voting is open so long as the thread is open (unlocked). Only midnight now where I am, still plenty of timezones left!

- m
Last edited by Markleford on Sat Jul 01, 2006 4:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Markleford's band, The James Rocket: http://www.TheJamesRocket.com/
Markleford's tracks: http://www.markleford.com/music/
Markleford's free MFX, DXi2, DR-008 modules: http://www.TenCrazy.com/

Markleford wrote:
liqih wrote:sorry that I missed the voting, or isn't it ended yet?
Voting is open so long as the thread is open. Only midnight now where I am, still plenty of timezones left!

- m
thanks

Return to “Music Cafe”