[indie rock] aston martin - moody rockin thing from garret

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

knockman wrote:but like yourself have a kid and another due early october, then there's a job etc so time is sparse.

a happy find - thanks for sharing and rockstar_not for bumping.

regards
knockman, preparing the nest for another fledgling I see!

Happy to share other's excellent work. Hopefully encouraging to Garret to keep up the great work.

worksongs.net is in my favorites folder and several Garret tunes in my mp3 player. This one I like more than most.

I listened to the tune again on my way to work today. This one has a gauzy, Jack Johnson-esque, laid-back-read-the-paper-on-a-sunny-saturday-morning-don't-shave-till-tomorrow-maybe-I'll-cut-the-lawn-today-maybe-not, kind of vibe that I can't get enough of.

Someone mentioned Beck earlier in the thread. Beck never makes me feel sunny, but this track does. Hopefully the bump will get it more listens for folks that need to feel the same.

-Scott

Great central riff. The second half feels like it could use a little something extra (another musical element/instrument) to distinguish it from the first, perhaps? Very nice stuff.

Barnadine wrote:Great central riff. The second half feels like it could use a little something extra (another musical element/instrument) to distinguish it from the first, perhaps? Very nice stuff.
Yeah - I would trade out the m-tron for some Wurly EP riffs now and then.

-Scott

Hey, thanks for the bump, gents. 8) :love:

Great feedback and concrete ideas in there too...

I hear what you're saying barnadine... I've been thinking the same, I should really crank the contrast between the bluesly/folky first half and the poppy second half...

I have a horn part I was going to bring in at the end, maybe that'll help tart it up sufficiently... get all bell and sebass, you know the drill.

I'll try mixing in some rhodes or wurly... maybe I can use that to balance out the panning too. Too much "stuff on the left, stuff on the right" now... I don't know how genius mixers do it. Stuff just seems to be everywhere at all times, but never loaded with reverb or fake stereo trickery...

Pavement, yes I hear that a lot. :) No problem with the comparison, they're super fab.

So it's the sound of the bass y'all don't like, not the arrangement? I was thinking the arrangement was simplistic/unnatural... lemme see what sample I'm using and see if I can improve on that... maybe too bouncy/dry now? needs more fatness?

Cheers all,
-G

garret wrote: So it's the sound of the bass y'all don't like, not the arrangement? I was thinking the arrangement was simplistic/unnatural... lemme see what sample I'm using and see if I can improve on that... maybe too bouncy/dry now? needs more fatness?

Cheers all,
-G
Garret,

The bass just sounds dead, 'blummy', etc. If you have the chords written out, I could make a feeble attempt at playing one for the song and ship it to you.

-Scott

The bass just sounds dead, 'blummy', etc. If you have the chords written out, I could make a feeble attempt at playing one for the song and ship it to you.
Blummy... eh, that's a new one for me. :help:

Sure, if you want to take a cut at it, I'd love to hear what you come up with.

Chords... er, the tune is a nutty tuning, and I'm not sure exactly what I'm playing. I'll see if I can work it out tonight and get back to you...

Cheers,
-G

Grr... can't figure out these chords... that's why I get for playing in a wacked out tuning. :x
:hihi:

I think the verse can be played:

Cm G# G (repeat a bunch)
Cm G (last one)

then it goes into a chorus thing.. which I think is some combination of Fm, Gm, F, and G. Maybe some C and Cmaj7 in there... not sure of the order... (remember I'm just playing patterns in semi-random tuning).

The bridge/second part is something else... I haven't worked it out yet, but I think it's simpler. :wink:

New mix... main changes are I switched out the bass for a picked rick sample set, and I added in the horn part I was working on. Also worked on the track balance a bit, but my ears are really tired of the tune now so I'm not if I improved things or made it worse. The vocals are still sounding so boxy to me... I think it's the mediocre mic I'm using (marshall 1006). Got a shiny new Rode K2 on the way, can't wait.

http://www.worksongs.net/2006/aston-martin.mp3

-Garret

Return to “Music Cafe”