Live: Composition

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I played my first mini-concert last weekend. Went really well. So now I'm working on doing a lot more live. This is the result of an idea with recording and replaying live (record while processing sound one way, replay processing another way while recording something new on top etc). So it's live, no editing, no pre-recordings, samples or synths. Guitar and XT. There isn't much action in the piece, it's a bit flimsy, but I kinda like it and think it would work well in a concert.

Composition

Love you comments. Esp. re:improvements as a live piece.

Comments love you too <listening>

A play of ambience serves as intro with a gradual crescending percussion track coming from affar.
In a "concert"? Well maybe I am prejudiced because I was trained young in classical piano. But more like in a cafe or a relaxed setting,
yes, more a jig than a concert. A live performance is a better word.
Composed ?, or a better wording constructed sequence of ambient and percussive sounds.
I make these too, I call them contrukts, and antything with a distinguishable chord or arpegio i call a composition.

allen
Heinrich Heine wrote: "Nothing is more futile than theorizing about music."
Me write: "I have no talent and regularly prove it in the Music Cafe contests"

Sorry, in Danish concert and live perfomance and jig etc. are the same. I have no pretentions of playing "a concert"... Would did you think of the piece. It actually is centered around one chord (or four note scale: e f# a c).

It was amusing, not overly demanding in structural listening/studying requirements, allowing it to be relaxing.
Good for a meditation episode.
Sounds were quiet, and the percussion could have had a bit more umph (??)...

I did not think you were being pretentious, thought you were translating from a foreign term

allen
Heinrich Heine wrote: "Nothing is more futile than theorizing about music."
Me write: "I have no talent and regularly prove it in the Music Cafe contests"

as a singular piece for a live show its diffcult to say, i think id need to hear it in situation ie surrounded by other tracks.
altho saying that it is a thought provoking piece, ive spent many an evening in smaller venues where people play this kind of thing, and id be there in a shot to hear this :)

i do think the kind of stuff we do (im blanketing broadly here, ie experimental stuff) is better suited to more intimate venues anyway.
just keep pushing your own boundaries, it works for me 8)

Pretty inventive effect setup! I liked it. And I've committed myself to a strange project where I have to do things like that (play something, make it loop and go through processing while I play something else to be processed elsewhere), so I'm interested in hearing more about your setup if you don't mind sharing some of your secrets...
I liked the song, too. :)
Rakkervoksen

Well I don't do live, so I can't give you any advice there. Sorry. :P

I do really like this piece, though! Good easy to listen to music that's perfect for when you want to listen to something, but don't want to listen to "ordinary" music... you know? :) I would definitely go to see this live if they had stuff like this around where I live.
Mizutaphile.

Nice stuff, Thomas. Pleasantly gloopy. Glad the gig went well. What kind of set-up did you take along?

peppy197 wrote: yes, more a jig than a concert.
Irish folk dancing?

Now I'm intrigued.

Victor.

Thanks all. I'll consider doing a jig. Could be interesting.

The setup for this:

(larger version)

The live setup (while rehearsing at home):

Semi-pro pics from the venue can be found here (in Danish):

http://www.mymusic.dk/fotos/?seriesid=4 ... Respirator

Thanks.
I like the way your setup looks messy like mine :lol:
Rakkervoksen

I think it's a fine piece with good textures, has a pretty disturbing feel at times.

Irt. the term 'composition' - are you improvising any or all of it?

This just floats by, Thomas. At first, it didn't really connect with it. Not sure why. But just listened to it for the third time, for some reason it sat right with me thisa time. The rising pitches through the middle stretch have the most interesting effect, and the segue into the more melodic stretch around the seven minute mark.

I know you've mentioned before, but I can't remember now, what is that copper microphone you use?

Krank: It's composed in the sense that I uses a fixed pattern or motif: e f# a c. The rhyhtmic structure is semi-composed (increasing complexity per run trough).

Shamann: It's the mighty Copperphone perfect for trumpet and lo-fi voice recordings etc. etc. And pretty cool looking.

Thanks for listening!

Return to “Music Cafe”