oh, the moody me...

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

probably my best tune yet, as i feel i've learned how to refine my sound by proper use of spacing and compression.

this one is a slow 80bpm, mellow, rather melancholic piece. keys and strings, sine and drums

i'd really appreciate comments on the mixing as i'm going to do the mastering the next few days and i need tips/comments on the bass more than anything else since my speakers don't go that low (70, maybe 60hz) without sounding crap and i do my best with osciloscopes and inspector and spectrographs

http://195.249.116.158/Visitor_Trax/df/ ... _ajung.mp3

even - I'm diggin this in a big way, nice work! Great mood, sounds, execution.

Couple of small niggles: I'm not a fan of finger snaps, sure it may be a personal thing, but I had to say it! Also, I found the bell/ride both a bit loud and a bit monotonous. Myself, I would probably go for more of a wispy ride sound with some variation.

Anyhow, minor stuff, not to take away from a super track. Congrats!
Image Image

heh, thanks and i appreciate your comments. i'll take a look at the ride line and try some beat repeat magic to spice it up. and yeah i always felt it was a bit too loud

very nice indeed, great mood and very well executed.

dark, funky and slightly evil.

i second the ride changes, its sometimes a little over bearing, maybe a little automated filtering and panning would help.

those little strings bits are awesome.

I third the ride changes. The piece is pretty sparse and minimal, built up from repetitive loops. You either need more acutal changes within the musical motifs or you need to add some kind of motion, like what blaster recommends on the rides. It might also be nice to think in terms of doing some subtle dub tricks. Like right after the first full stop (around 1:16), when you bring the mix back in it would be nice if you added some heavily delayed event (the ride and/or the snare drum going BWAP-AP-AP-AP-AP-AP-AP-AP and then fadin out) to add a touch of drama when the song comes back. I love the dark strings but wish they would at least once open up into a little more developed melody.

Anyway, very interesting piece. Thanks for sharing!

really insightful comments there, thx.

i'll look int it the next few days and see if i can polish it some more.

nothing about the bass tho...

even7 wrote: nothing about the bass tho...
i didn't mention the bass as its seems pretty good to my ears :wink:

blaster78 wrote:
even7 wrote: nothing about the bass tho...
i didn't mention the bass as its seems pretty good to my ears :wink:
Same here. I liked that part of the song very much.

good.

long live the smexoscope and inspector :hihi:

Really like this ace for scratching did a little remix hope you dont mind. :wink:

http://dunks1980.co.uk/dumi_-_imi_ajung_withscratch.mp3

first thing, the bass isa bit muffled compared to the original version.

otherwise, i love the scratching, if maybe a tad bit too loud

cool

2nd edit: you should've tried that 'ficky-ficky-fresh' thing

even7 wrote:first thing, the bass isa bit muffled compared to the original version.

otherwise, i love the scratching, if maybe a tad bit too loud

cool

2nd edit: you should've tried that 'ficky-ficky-fresh' thing
I was recording quick using a input on my mixer that has no eq as I use my eq inputs for scratchapellas. Those are just my practice samples if I had the original samples you made the track with I would have probably used those.

Return to “Music Cafe”