SIGHUP's lazy day sketch

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

normal wrote:and , that's not a bad thing ...
No, I knew it wasn't. I was just playing. It's very non-committal music, so perplexity is perhaps an inevitable result.

beautiful. The soft noise in the background is nice. Probably not intentional, but on headphones it gives it an organic quality.

Genetic_Junk wrote:beautiful. The soft noise in the background is nice. Probably not intentional, but on headphones it gives it an organic quality.
Thanks. Actually, as it turns out the noise was intentional (I had forgotten it was there until you mentioned it). The bass line runs through CMT Bitcrusher set at 12 bits and 2x downsampling. I'm not sure why I put it there, but it's something I've been doing a lot lately.

I though it might have been from raising the gain on a quiet 16 bit file. I do enjoy a spot of noise here and there.

Really really gorgeous to listen to.
My Youtube Channel - Wires Dream Disasters :: My Band - Tacoma Narrows Bridge Disaster
Product owner working for inMusic Brands - posting here in a personal capacity, but I will assist with any BFD related questions - hit me up!

Thanks, Andy.

Genetic_Junk wrote:I do enjoy a spot of noise here and there.
Aye, so do I.

this is lovely.
love the almost oriental minimal feel, very different from you but no less a keeper :)

vurt wrote:very different from you but no less a keeper :)
Thanks, John. Yeah, I've been throwing a few different things lately. All just steps closer to my big sell out, which I'm expecting to happen in 2008. Glad you liked.

i'm glad this came around again ...
i've listened a few more times , and found something i'm willing to commit enough to , to comment upon ...

let's talk timing ...

one could safely march the squadron , over the bridge , in time to this track ...

the timing of this track is so appallingly , so annoyingly , so fcuking subtlely off ,
that i suspect it may be perfect ...
j'cuse ! ...
you have subjected this track to BT proportioned hours of editing , moving every note that required millisecond left , or right ; that subtle shift to accentuate the wrongness of its' position ...

or ...
you recognize the beauty created by throwing a handful of pebbles , into the sand ...

shamann wrote: All just steps closer to my big sell out, which I'm expecting to happen in 2008. Glad you liked.

keep me up to speed on how that goes, if you get big enough i may just start ligging around you :D

ligger=constant companion of star but no one really knows why :o

very minimal. would be interesting against a backdrop of some ethnic rhythms.
"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together...." -Carl Zwanzig

normal wrote:i'm glad this came around again ...
i've listened a few more times , and found something i'm willing to commit enough to , to comment upon ...

let's talk timing ...

one could safely march the squadron , over the bridge , in time to this track ...

the timing of this track is so appallingly , so annoyingly , so fcuking subtlely off ,
that i suspect it may be perfect ...
j'cuse ! ...
you have subjected this track to BT proportioned hours of editing , moving every note that required millisecond left , or right ; that subtle shift to accentuate the wrongness of its' position ...

or ...
you recognize the beauty created by throwing a handful of pebbles , into the sand ...
norm, I could kiss you.

On the one hand, it's the pebbles. The intent in everything I do is always to try to puzzle together something sympathetic with whatever random bits I happen to be focusing on.

On the other hand, timing is everything to me, which I may have said once or twice somewhere here before. Being a fellow John Fahey fan, you might recognize this this thing he does, where he consistently lags a beat, really noticeable on the first track from America, Jesus Is A Dying Bedmaker. It isn't quite syncopation, it's something subtler. Micro-syncopation maybe, but it's the most effective musical event I've ever heard. It's there in a lot of Tom Waits's 80s-90s stuff, too, results in a sort of dirt that he picks up as he gets loose with the beat. I could probably list hundreds of similar things.

The source material comes from a bunch of piano loops I've been making where I've been working on off timing in the right way. Not always easy, since sometimes my timing just sounds off.
Last edited by shamann on Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

vurt wrote:keep me up to speed on how that goes, if you get big enough i may just start ligging around you :D
It's a date. :love:

intel wrote:would be interesting against a backdrop of some ethnic rhythms.
Do you think? Really?

Return to “Music Cafe”