[new song]

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Last edited by justjazz on Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:10 am, edited 3 times in total.

What a nice guitar sound. I really like the harmonies, the melody and especially the crisp and precise guitar sound. I would like to record my acoustic to sound like this.

Last edited by justjazz on Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

Maybe not country - maybe a touch of Richard Thompson or Clive Gregson. But very sophisticated production.

Last edited by justjazz on Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

justjazz wrote:Any more comments? Don't make me slap a trance gate and some c5k synths into the song so that kvr will listen :)
hehe.

I find the guitar sound too artificial to be called real.... don't get me wrong it sounds good and all... but more like a chamberlo (or however that piano with the black keys white and the white keys black) then an acoustic guitar

Last edited by justjazz on Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

no it still has the same sound to me... again it's not bad.... but it just sounds artificial when you expect to hear an acoustic guitar ....

maybe you could try puting some chords from the real guitar underneath to give it a realistic edge... or just some fert noises or something...

depends on what you wanna achive really.... if you want something clean clear and perfectly played - the versions you have will do fine... but if you're aiming for a realistic acoustic guitar feel you'd need to add something

Justjazz,

The mechanical nature is there for someone that is used to listening to acoustic guitars (it's much less noticable when your vocal harmonies are covering up the guitar somewhat).

It has to do with timing of the notes as well. They are 'too perfect'. But the tone of the samples in RealGuitar is impressive.

Here's what I would do for the song: Open in with and acappella vocal, then bring in the guitar sound underneath the vocals. The first 7-8 seconds immediately shout 'Sequenced acoustic guitar samples'.

Or go in and try to adjust the stop times on some of the notes and let them ring out a little longer. The little arpeggios to start things out sound 'choppy'/mechanical. Anything that you might be able to do (reduce the quantization / vary the velocities / let some notes ring while others get more quickly muted / etc.) Also some fake string squeaks here and there might fool some.

I love the song's lyrical content and the vocal harmonies are really really well done. I would find someone local that does fingerstyle guitar and pay them to record the guitars.

-Scott

Last edited by justjazz on Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

justjazz,

I just listened to the other track. Again, the timing of the notes is way to perfect to pass as an acoustic guitar.

Try to remove the quantization. Listen to the vocals and try to record the guitar via keyboard playing while playing along with the vocals - then DONT QUANTIZE. If you feel that there are some notes that are way out of time, then just edit those individually. Make sure your click track is OFF when you try playing along with the other tracks. It might result in a more natural sound.

The singer/songwriter thing with acoustic guitar rarely has perfect timing. That's part of the appeal.

Here's a song where I have some arpeggiated acoustic guitar parts that I didn't play along with a rigid click track. But it's a pretty simple arpeggio based song. You'll hear some notes go long, some get cut short, etc. I should note that this is an actual acoustic guitar recording, not sampled guitars.

http://www.rockstarnot.audioshot.net/so ... -Loser.MP3

The songs, both of them, do stand on their own. If you ever tried to shop them around, I would try to get them recorded with a guitarist; just so you don't get some initial bad reaction to the sequenced parts right off.

-Scott

-Scott

My sweetheart always tells me: "play your guitar and don't use your samples: they sound more like a harpsichord, when you play." Anyway, this song is wonderful and the vocals are simply beautiful (Wow! The harmonies....)
and 'Real-Guitar' sounds a lot better than the sample-sets I know.
A great song and a great singer!
:tu:
Mello

p.s. don't do the tarnce/techno: :box:
"It dreamed itself along"

I was listen to your other song now:
Also very strong song and great singer(s), but here it's more evident: you should use a real guitar instead of 'Real-Guitar'. You are such a gifted writer and singer: Please, play the tracks with a fine acoustic and use the keys for some nice piano-chords. :wink:

Mello again
"It dreamed itself along"

Last edited by justjazz on Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:10 am, edited 3 times in total.

Return to “Music Cafe”