The gentle side, a small little guitar piece for ya'll

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I recently noodled this little ditty about Jack and Diane.. Ahh where was I,, Seriously this is rather relaxing and a little spacey. Just a simple guitar with some little processing to boot, I find it soothing.. :) Here you go, especially for all those who think I only crank shit at 11 all day, I have more of this kind of stuff on my computer than raging Death metal,, ok well its about 50/50 hard/soft.. haha INsert joke, although 50% hard a day is 12 hours, and yes I am that good........ :lol: :lol: :lol: :P

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInf ... ID=4514398
link to my Asspace page(Myspace) This has become a necessary evil http://www.myspace.com/worldofshit1

Are you Steve Vai? :roll: :roll: :wink:

hmm not sure what that means, but maybe you are referring to the 12 hours a day "hard" comment.. {HInt} I am not talking guitar playing..
link to my Asspace page(Myspace) This has become a necessary evil http://www.myspace.com/worldofshit1

Nice ideas in there. Do you have any metal tracks where you marry the clean and distorted stuff? I love Nile for their approach, and I've often thought of writing them to propose doing eerie intros and some other bits for them.

If you can, check out Adrian Legg's "Hispanic Theme" off the album "High Strung Tall Tales" and investigate how he EQ's the low end and uses chorus and compression. It's quite a ride if you are in the mood for it. The between-song stories are funny, too.

Nice track kill! I like stuff like that. Would like to hear more guitar layers in it, and some bass, but yeah, well done.
Image Image

shane sanders said
Do you have any metal tracks where you marry the clean and distorted stuff?
Sadly no, and in a way I feel I have underachieved in that respect, becasue I have some really cool clean parts, some like this little piece, others are a lot more involved. Honestly I think its becasue I havent mastered song writing to that degree yet. I mean I have tried to do it, but it always sounds kind of lame, since most of the stuff I write is so heavy. BUt Im working, hust like everyone else to get better at incorparating everything I can into my music. And Adrian legg?? I have heard that name before, I'll check it out..\

And Polysax, thanks for the comments. Yeah, I do see how with more added to this it could become more than just a nice little side track.. I'll borrow me a bass guitar and see if I can add some interesting tension with the bass..

Killvehicle wrote: Sadly no, and in a way I feel I have underachieved in that respect, becasue I have some really cool clean parts, some like this little piece, others are a lot more involved. Honestly I think its becasue I havent mastered song writing to that degree yet. I mean I have tried to do it, but it always sounds kind of lame, since most of the stuff I write is so heavy. BUt Im working, hust like everyone else to get better at incorparating everything I can into my music. And Adrian legg?? I have heard that name before, I'll check it out..\
I know what you mean. I have hundreds (possibly a thousand) of completely orchestrated ideas, usually a pair of ideas that work together, but only about fifty actual full compositions (apart from my abstract stuff--I'm talking rock influenced pieces) that go somewhere and come back. Little rays of light seem to come to me each year as I keep on writing. Still haven't written anything I'm super proud of yet, but I do hear the improvements and feel that one day I will write something that will be a comprehensive victory. Up until this point there have been little moments, but nothing where it all comes together on all levels. I sort of dream of making the perfect 'fuzion' album, being a mix of Arabic/Indian stuff, some Rush-like rock, moments of Zeppeliny balm, and perhaps some doom metal type stuff that serves as the sonic apex in the climaxes of the pieces. And all of that would be held together by a veil of ambience and wisps of Floydish electronica. I can't even really put it into words, but there are some Yes songs that are kind of archetypal in that way and some Mahavishnu pieces that dip into it as well. Opeth, if they had more influences that surfaced in their stuff, would be a touchstone for me, too. The latest Tool album is quite good in that respect, imo. I like music that goes on a journey.

Maybe you should put some clear exercises in the mix to help you grow: take a heavy riff that you love but haven't used anywhere else and force yourself to make it land on a strong fundamental note, then tune up an acoustic guitar into an alternate tuning based on that root note. Goof off on that for a while. You'll find yourself with a part that acts as a beautiful compliment to the heavy one, a repose. Then just move on to the next goal in the thing: layering the last bits of the acoustic thing with a frenetic passage that can lead you back into a different heavy riff, one that is simpler than the first and more like a chorus. Just keep doing that, making sure keep a goal of changing the landscape with each passage. Once you have four or five 'rooms in your house', find a way to get back to the catchiest 'room' and out of it again into something that allows you to repeat one or two of the other ideas with new embellishments. Try to climax it. Before long, the piece will start to have its own logic and it will become apparent which, if any, of the rooms can be forgotten. Arranging stuff is the hardes part for me. I can generate ideas that I like without much effort, but gluing them together is very hard for me, especially since I have to do it all and maintain the energy to finish each and every note of each and every part. I know there are tons of people lurking on KVR who are just like me in this regard.

Nice piece of guitar indeed.. Tends to get a little boring in the end, but it still sounds dreamy enough.. Hmmm... Slow and delayed lead guitar weeps in my head along this one.. Stay tuned.. :D

Return to “Music Cafe”