Hip-Hop recommendations

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

OK OK..stop Laughing!!
I'm not terribly into Hip Hop, but Ben ( Camel Audio..the guy I work for) would like me to get aquanted with some so I know the style . I have heard some stuff on the radio, and it sounds like they use nice synth and colorful backgrounds to the ..er..talking. :-) Is there any that you guys can recommend that actually have a good message, or is deep..well..you know! I also check out Re-Mix Mag now and then, and notice thay have great reviews on soft and hard synths, so they do use the technology. So..any recomedations? ( for a non-hip hop guy..but wants to hear some of the better stuff)

Tim

DJ Shadow.

Check out The Nextmen, Birotax & Jehst all very good hip hop artists who concentrate on both the tune and the words

Sorry meant Braintax, the album is Biro funk doh!

ALso Dangermouse & Gemini - Ghetto Pop life

I think you're going to get a lot of white hip-hop, being as this is kvr. Don't let this put you off.
There was a great thread a few months ago which started as the usual moronic slag-off of all things hip-hop and was subverted by the fans into a fantastic list of youtube links. I can't find it at the mo but hopefully somebody will be able to.
Now with improved MIDI jitter!

nuffink wrote:I think you're going to get a lot of white hip-hop, being as this is kvr. Don't let this put you off.
I think Tim's white, he'll cope...

Anyway, off the top of my head.

De la Soul
Pharcyde
Jurassic 5
The Roots
General Electrics
Heiroglyphics
Quannum
Del the Funkee Homosapien
Dilated Peoples
Madlib
Mos Def
A tribe called Quest
Digable Planets

That's a start. Youtube is a great resource for this kind of exploration since as soon as you find something to your taste there will be links to similar stuff.

CypherOne wrote:
nuffink wrote:I think you're going to get a lot of white hip-hop, being as this is kvr. Don't let this put you off.
I think Tim's white, he'll cope...
I'm sure but the picture he'll get here will be akin to a list of black trance.

Lots of folk will have lots of varying views on what counts as the good stuff. For instance the stuff I like is often not very well liked by others into more mainstream music.

But for me, some excellent stuff worth checking out:
MF Doom
Quasimoto
J Dilla
Aesop Rock
Sole
Hieroglyphics
Cannibal Ox
Roots
Talib Kweli

Some fairly consistant labels would be Stones Throw, Def Jux, Ubiquity, Shaman Work, Hieroglyphics Imperium.

But the stuff I like usually isn't exceptionally heavy on synth work. For that mainstream stuff like Timbaland, Neptunes, Outkast are all good places to look.

Hey, didn't see nuff's post before I hit submit. Look at that, I'm not entirely white!

shamann wrote:Hey, didn't see nuff's post before I hit submit. Look at that, I'm not entirely white!
Testify, brother

wow..just step out for a minute and 11 posts!! Thanks guys!!

One thing, Tim, a lot of mainstream hip hop (like mainstream music in general) turns out out to be a good place to look for technical quality, if not artistic merit. Consider stuff like Dr. Dre and Jay Z, artistically I often find their music to be of the pandering variety, but they are smart guys and have massive teams of highly skilled people making the music behind them.

For example Scott Storch is an occasional/original member of the Roots, and later programmed beats for Dr. Dre (the central riff in "Still the D.R.E" is one of his).

Blackalicious
Tribe Called Quest
Del tha Funky Homosapien
Mos Def
B.I.G.
NWA
Public Enemy
Jay Z

Return to “Music Cafe”