I'm Pretty sure this isn't typical KVR Music Cafe fare....

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Sorry, Scott. Wasn't trying to drag things into Hyde Park territory. 'Faith in music' might make an interesting discussion, but I think most HPC threads dealing with religion tend to devolve swiftly into trench battles between intolerant religious fundamentalists and intolerant anti-religious fundamentalists, which isn't particularly edifying for the rest of us. :shrug:
rockstar_not wrote:Being a Christian is not the easiest thing in the world for me, because my nature - the way that I want to act, isn't in this way.
Nor was I meaning to imply that these things aren't a struggle for you as a person, just that the song doesn't embody much of the conflict for me as a listener (nor should it have to). Thanks for filling in the context a little. :)

I guess your song just got me thinking out loud about what makes some devotional songs engaging to the non-believer, while others seem to serve a hermetic function for the converted.
rockstar_not wrote:The whole thing was much more fun doing it live the last time I did this song a couple of years ago, to be honest.
Hope all this over-analysis didn't help sap the fun. :oops: How did the song go down?

rockstar_not wrote:Thanks for the listens and comments from everyone.

It's confirmed. It's hopeless that I'll ever be able to program drums properly. I mean this is such a simple song and I still can't get it right.

When I quantize the drums, all of the drags and flams in BFD get screwed up. Perhaps I need to just zap all of those, quantize, then add them back in after the main kick, snare and rides are lined up more nicely.

I'd like to understand this comment a little better - "the lack of a cymbal crash and kick drum hit after the drum intro confused me"

Are you suggesting that I put a crash (with choke) and kick hit on the 1 in the 1st measure after the intro like in some of the other breaks? Or do you suggest something else?

The vocal track in this mix is just a place-holder scratch track. There are several places that are 'pitchy' as they say on American Idol.

I'm actually going to transpose it down so I can sing the whole thing from a chest voice (you would laugh if you saw me sticking my chin out and straining to hit the high notes in this version), which means a re-track of the guitars. I guess I'll perhaps ditch the existing EP track and do more of a wandering EP line, Doors style.

Well, that about rounds it up - redo the entirety!

Now, who would like to hear Watto sing this one, except transposed UP a few notches?

-Scott
what i meant by the lack of a crash and hard kick drum hit after the opening fill was that the opening fill seems to suggest that something different will follow from what actually does. i think the opening fill is too busy and out of place for the relatively weak downbeat that follows.

Barnadine wrote:Hope all this over-analysis didn't help sap the fun. :oops: How did the song go down?
Well, I did read aloud the earlier first couple of verses which put the lyrics for the song into a better context - so thanks for your help in that regard.

Unlike KVR, the people that think the song stunk usually don't speak up. Primarily one of the reasons why I bothered to post it here - looking for objective feedback good or bad, which I thank you for providing.

I received many positive comments afterwards - it did dovetail nicely with the pastor's sermon (which was the intention).

I don't think the song stands very well on it's own, for the reasons you mentioned, but as a part of a themed worship service, it served better than most.

Thanks again for taking the time for your detailed response. It was quite helpful.

-Scott

Return to “Music Cafe”