my thesis composition!

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Here is the composition that i wrote for my MA in Music Technology. In academic circles it falls within the broad 'Computer Music' genre. Its heavily influenced by the Spectral genre. In mainstream terms its probably considered closer to Ambient music.

Excuse the cheesy title. It's called 'A Composer's Journey' because its structure is based upon Joseph Campbell's 'Hero's Journey' model and Christopher Vogler's 'A Writer's Journey' model.

The title of my thesis is 'Mythology as Musical Structure'

The abstract of my thesis is:

This thesis investigates the parallels between music and story and considers the similarities between composer and author. The compositional element of this work includes a Computer Music piece entitled The Composer's Journey, which has used Joseph Campbell's The Hero's Journey model (as explained in his book The Hero with a Thousand Faces) as its structural basis. The central issue for this paper is: Is it possible to create Computer Music instrumentation that is representative of a literary journey that is The Hero's Journey.

I'm not sure if anyone is interested, but the zip file also contains my thesis so you can follow along with the music-- specifically chapter 4, the Graphical Score, and Spectral processing structure.

Thanks for checking it out!!

http://www.bigwussy.net/music_samples/T ... ourney.zip

Big thanks to Genetic Junk for hosting it!

Peace,

Jared
Last edited by Meloday on Sat Oct 28, 2006 12:11 am, edited 6 times in total.

Meloday wrote:Hey all. Sorry, i don't have a direct link. Here is the next best thing-- the Auditorium! Thanks Spe3d! Track and relevant info available here:

http://www.the-auditoriums.net/auditori ... php?t=4083

thanks for listening! as always, feedback is welcome 8)
Nice work!

Will have to get to the paper another day, though, but the subject matter is very interesting to me.

I should probably mention that by including two large bitmaps in your zipped file, it nearly doubles the size of the download. Perhaps if you saved them as jpegs, more people will download it. Or just provide separate links and folks can choose what they want to experience.

It says I need to log in to get your file. I have too many accounts already.

Victor.

fascinating stuff. Thanks for sharing this. :)
..what goes around comes around..

Shane Sanders wrote:I should probably mention that by including two large bitmaps in your zipped file, it nearly doubles the size of the download. Perhaps if you saved them as jpegs, more people will download it. Or just provide separate links and folks can choose what they want to experience.
Thanks for that Shane! I've replaced the bitmaps with jpegs. Once zipped though it still is rather big. The mp3 zipped alone is still 16.5 mb. Probably because the track is 12 minutes long :-o You see, to fulfill the composition requirement for my thesis the piece had to be between 10 and 15 minutes. :)

VicDiesel wrote:It says I need to log in to get your file. I have too many accounts already.

Victor.
Sorry about that Victor. I thought that you didn't need to be registered to listen to tracks at the Auditorium. Can anyone confirm this? Thanks!

ouroboros wrote:fascinating stuff. Thanks for sharing this. :)
Thanks ouroboros! Much appreciated :D

Yeah you have to logged in to download. If you like, I could host it for you.

Genetic_Junk wrote:Yeah you have to logged in to download. If you like, I could host it for you.
man, that would be a huge favor! sending pm now

thanks, much appreciated! :D

no problem. How come your school wouldn't host it for you? :)

Genetic_Junk wrote:no problem. How come your school wouldn't host it for you? :)
i know, you'd think that would be the logical thing for a university to do but....don't get me started on that topic :?

:)

a well thought out electronic piece. Nice textures and stereo imaging. Some of it reminds me of Carl Stone.

Can I ask you what plugs/instruments you used? ( I am listening to the piece, and have not opened the doc yet, in case you have it annotated there.)

Tim

Return to “Music Cafe”