Grimy/creepy instrumental thing

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

OK, glad you posted the second link there, uvacom.

I love Subgrub. Badass. 8) I'll have to try to remember to download your future songs.

Thanks. :) "Snubgrub 6000" is generally most people's favorite piece out of my back catalogue - I try to incorporate a lot of humor into my music but I think it shines through on that one a little bit more, it seems a bit more fun. My personal favorite is a different track I wrote within a few weeks of "Snubgrub", I'll give a link next time I complete a track.

And yeah, "Cesca" is a bit repetitive, I really just wanted to do something easy and different from what I usually do, for fun. :) Also, I have to admit I'm trying to get out of a musical rut so I was really eager to complete something, consequently I went for a simple arrangement.

And finally, I think a lot of what I do is basically hip-hop, I guess it really doesn't sound like what most people think of when they think "hip-hop" but that's a good thing as far as I'm concerned. It's usually either centered around either an 808 or a stolen break (or some combination thereof), a thick bassline, lots of samples, and simple and mostly percussive use of any chromatically tuned instruments (unless it's a wormy monosynth lead, which I love). I've never worked with an MC before (which is a shame), but if I ever did incorporate any kind of vocals, that's what it would most likely be. I might just start rapping myself, if I ever grow some balls. :P

In your opinion, is there a genre in which my music would be more appropriately classified? I do want to know because I don't really know how to categorize my own music, but I don't want to be one of those pretentious types who is convinced that what they do is so "another level" that it defies categorization.

Rachmiel: Thank you, I'm always striving for the perfect bassline. Maybe someday...

uvacom wrote:In your opinion, is there a genre in which my music would be more appropriately classified?
No, but in my world that's a profoundly good thing.
It's not hard to make music that doesn't fit into a genre for actually creative people.

That other song is much more hip-hop oriented, but who cares? Not me. Public Enemy, Gravediggaz, Them and Paul Barman are 4 of my main influences but I think I'd be hard-pressed to point out precisely how that comes out in my music.

And I really did mean just a "tad" just a little bit.
It's a good song that I don't have any particular way of categorizing.

MacZero wrote:
Sickle wrote:Yes there is, you just haven't taken it yet. Remind me to tell you about the night I left everyone partying upstairs to grab a beer and wen passsing back through the living room to get to the stairs saw all my friends who were actually still upstairs lying long dead and rotted, melting their viscera into the chairs and couches they died in when I was convinced I had killed them months ago and had been trapped in a house with no light for so long I had forgotten they were even dead until I stumbled upon their husks.
heheh! that's not "bad acid", that's your mind showing you that you create your own reality :)
Killing all my friends and living among thier corpses till they turn to dust trapped in a nearly lightless house isn't what I'd brag about being a self-manufactured reality.

Track author, you should check out :10:'s work. He's on myspace as well as here and The Auditorium. Find a direct link to him as the author of my website and give his stuff a listen:

www.sickle666.com

cheers,
D

ps: sorry about mixing 'grim' with 'grimey'. I'm Grim, and everyone here that knows me knows I'm King Shit when it comes to that one simple thing.

:)
Jens, "B.t.w.: it appears I was wrong"

sickle: I was more going for the way your brain interprets the reality outside your mind and reconstructs it kinda like virtual reality inside your mind. I definately wasn't trying to be a smartarse. I've had bad trips like that too so I can relate. LSD-25 is a very powerful substance that can deliver heaven or hell, while having exacty the same chemical structure. So there is no such thing as "bad acid", just bad trips. It's kind of a pet peeve I have with people saying you can get poisoned or go insane if you get acid that's "bad"..

anyway I'll shut up now.

I did Acid repeatedly for more than 15 years in every form available and never stumbled across anything remotely as nasty as that one trip. While I was going insane downstairs, everyone upstairs were also stuck in their own personal torments, several crying openly for hours begging it to 'stop'.

We got some bad acid and that's the bottom line.

I'll shut up too; it's not my thread.

'nite all,
D
Jens, "B.t.w.: it appears I was wrong"

rachmiel wrote:nice. worth it just to listen to the bass. :-)
Cesca is a fresh and original kind of music. I like the experimental way, :hihi:
Very interesting. cool thing
Snubgrub is even far ahead, adding interesting and degraded melodies. A gem.
Fine sound quality

Cheers

Return to “Music Cafe”