New member's first efforts

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi all,

I'm a new(ish) member of this forum, and this is my first posting.

I've been messing about with synthesizers, as a hobby, for the past 20 years or so, but I'm quite new to the VSTi thing.

The following was produced with EnergyXT, using SuperwaveP8 (several times), MinimogueVA (twice), and Arppe2600VA. The drums are MachineII and DR Fusion 2 (just the handclaps).

I hope you like it. Please be honest but gentle, and I would really appreciate any advice you may have to improve it.

w w w . t y p e 3 4 . i n f o / t e m p / s o n g 2 . m p 3

(sorry for the weird notation. I am trying to get past the spam filter. If this works, you'll have to copy/paste the address and remove the extra spaces.)

While I'm writing, you may as well also hear this:

w w w . t y p e 3 4 . i n f o / t e m p / s o n g 1 . m p 3

It was made purely to enable me to learn to use EnergyXT. For the record, it was produced with Triangle I, GalactiX, Oberon 8, MinimogueVA, Cheeze Machine, and Triangle II.

This is, BTW, the first time I have EVER "published" any of my music.

Regards,

Daniel

The links are (without spaces):
http://www.type34.info/temp/song2.mp3
http://www.type34.info/temp/song1.mp3

Good programmation. Good mix and sound (maybe more 0 db, you must normalize, I think. Or it's my player...).
Good songs. :tu:
Tribute to JM Jarre ?

Daniel
http://www.pompougnac-daniel.com

I don't normally post critique for the reason that usually people have said the same thing and I don't need to repeat. However...

I'll comment on them in the order I listened.

Song2
Excellent, right up my street and left past the chip shop! Blown away by the synth solo, thoroughly enjoyed that. I really enjoy people who play(even if its programmed you've tried to use it as an instrument) synths rather than play them as keyboards with exotic sounds. Now for the critique: The main (Superwave?) melody line felt off/badly played. I think its the synth patch, theres a difference when a amatuer guitar plays the same riff as a pro. The pro brings out a tonal quality that eludes an amatuer, now on synths, its all or nothing. So I don't think its your programming/playing I genuinely think there is a better more dynamic patch out there for it. I've had similar experience with the Superwave where it drained the life out of my lead melodies. I say let superwave do the job I think its best at and thats supportive padding synth. :P Great tune, I would have liked it have developed further(sruct/music not the sound), thats only cause I thought it had more to say.

Song1
First of all the BIG problem here is the sound level, export it from your DAW as close to 0db as you can then normalise. If it's still weak and you've got one use a Maximiser to bring up the quiet end. IF you havn't got one, then us a compressor and normalise. Experience will tell you when you've over done this, don't burn your Christmas Turkey, thats the motto. I would have appreciated this one if the levels were up. Liked the Tom rolls though. It's not as good as the other, song wise. The riff doesn't speak to me in the same way and the song doesn't really feel as if it going anywhere. Don't get me wrong I enjoyed it, and comparing it to some drivel I put myself through earlier its superb!

Over all though, enjoyed the songs so much so I'll be keeping them on me HD for future listens. Musically you're there for this type of music, I think lyrics and a vocal could take your music to a higher level. I also would advise on developing the songs, often as song needs to breathe. As long as you hit the listeners with something good at the beginning they'll stay to the end, and do those people justice by ending it on a high. I loathe long self indulgent pointless pad like intros/outros (not talking about fade outs here), get to the point. A song is a form of communication. But don't waffle, a song that doesn't know where to end is much worse than ones that don't finish their sentances.

One thing I would note, if I had listened to them in the other order I may have skipped the first and enjoyed the second, on the other hand I may have given up. It just shows how important the impressions are. Nothing impossible to fix, infact relatively easy.

Excellent, made my day!!!!

In hind sight the "off" melody line in Song2 may be a clash between the more brassy one and the pad like one example around 1:00. Oh and give your songs names, they deserve it :P

Song2
Excellent, right up my street and left past the chip shop! Blown away by the synth solo, thoroughly enjoyed that.
Thanks! The solo is played on minimogueVA. I've no idea how close it is to an original Minimoog, but it's a powerful synth in its own right.
I really enjoy people who play(even if its programmed you've >tried to use it as an instrument) synths rather than play >them as keyboards with exotic sounds.
Maybe I'm a bit "old school". I used to have a real analogue monophonic synth - a Yamaha CS-5 - and now I'm sorry I got rid of it.

I say let superwave do the job I think its best at and thats supportive padding synth. :P Great tune, I would have liked it have developed further(sruct/music not the sound), thats >only cause I thought it had more to say.
You may be right about this. I was wowed by the power of superwave, but I may have overused it a bit. . . As for developing it further, maybe I'll start working on version 2 . . .
Song1
First of all the BIG problem here is the sound level,
You're right of course. I only noticed this when I compared it to song2. It is easy to fix, but, as I said, this song was really only an exercise to get myself familiar with EnergyXT.
Over all though, enjoyed the songs so much so I'll be keeping them on me HD for future listens. Musically you're there for this type of music, I think lyrics and a vocal could take your music to a higher level.
I used to write songs with lyrics years ago. Maybe it's time I started again.

Excellent, made my day!!!!
Great to hear that!

Daniel

daniel- wrote: Tribute to JM Jarre ?
Is it that obvious? :wink:

D.

Daniel,

First of able, apology to have make a direct link to your site. I'd not read a part of your post. English isn't my native language and sometimes, I miss words or lines.
However, it's better, because more people will listen your music.
Apology again.
Is it that obvious?
For me, yes. But I don't know if it's a kind comment for you...
If not, forget. Your songs are really good.

Daniel
http://www.pompougnac-daniel.com

daniel- wrote:Daniel,

First of able, apology to have make a direct link to your site. I'd not read a part of your post. English isn't my native language and sometimes, I miss words or lines.
However, it's better, because more people will listen your music.
Apology again.
Is it that obvious?
For me, yes. But I don't know if it's a kind comment for you...
If not, forget. Your songs are really good.

Daniel
The link is no problem at all.

As for JMJ, I've been a fan of his since Equinoxe came out in about 1978, so if my music sounds somewhat like his, it's not surprising (or accidental).
8)
Daniel

Nice work. I enjoyed both tracks. They're a little busier/faster than I normally like, but good stuff. Keep it up.

Cool stuff. I'm not all that familiar with JMJ so I'm not detecting anything beyond a somewhat 80s vibe.

Song 1: In the beginning I feared that it would be only a cool bass and a cool melody, infinitely repeated. But you're very good at finding other sounds to go with it and keeping it varied. Nice.

Victor

Return to “Music Cafe”