Psychedelic pop - "All that was black is now blue"

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey guys,

New track complete. Grab it here. Download available. It's called All that was black is now blue.

For anyone having trouble with MySpace, there's a direct download from my website here.

I'm getting better at the Huge Psychedelic Pop Sound. It's not an actual pop song though. It's loosely sonata form (loosely, remember! :hihi: ). Lots of DSP freakouts for you abstractia fans too. :cool:

-Kim.
Last edited by Kim Lajoie on Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

If anyone's interested, the main gear used on this was:
Sonik Synth 2 (most drums, synths, etc)
Vokator (just got it, this is awesome! Vokator's all over this!)
T-RackS EQ and compression (nothing amazing here, just workhorse duties)
Amplitube2 on all electric guitars (not that you can hear them though)
MyVoice3 (I'm getting better, I promise!)
Kingston's Retroband (particularly on the bass, drums and piano)

-Kim.

drunk but oh so glad I noticed this post!

nice track,

is that you singing?

like the piano at the end.

There were a few parts where the singing went out of tune, probably from vokator.

dw
Last edited by dusted william on Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

key kim.....reminds me of late 80's / early 90's pop - one group in particular comes to mind: Anything Box ("Peace" album).

actually I think you have a good melody going on here and your vocals do suit well for the song, BUT! I just wasn't very fond of the whole psychedelic bit when it really kicked in about 2:20 (and the out of tune vocals at 1:30 and later on). of course...I guess since it's meant to be "psychedelic"...that's the point of the whole song, but I was bummed as i was reminiscing in the 80's there :love: up until about 2:20. :(

personally...if you could just carry on the "melody" from just before 2:20 for another 1 minute....I think you'll be on your way to have a song that will be a perfect fit for the next Brat Pack movie. :wink:

Thanks for listening, guys. Vocals can't be out of tune, they're corrected to death! :lol: I know what you mean though, I just need to become a better singer.

dusted william: Image

holymoly: I know about Anything Box. Was into them for a short while, but I don't really dig synthpop. I just don't care for the synth sounds.

It's interesting that you mention that you were reminiscing in the 80's listening to it, and that it might otherwise be a perfect fit for the next Brat Pack movie. It's interesting because I don't usually take too well to comments like that, even though they're your response (and nothing to do with me, really).

I'm working on an album of songs (separate to anything I've already released) with similar production values, but in traditional pop song form. It's about a year off, mind.

-Kim.

Kim (esoundz) wrote:It's interesting that you mention that you were reminiscing in the 80's listening to it, and that it might otherwise be a perfect fit for the next Brat Pack movie. It's interesting because I don't usually take too well to comments like that, even though they're your response (and nothing to do with me, really).
i apologize if you took it the wrong way, kim....it was supposed to be a compliment (my era of music) + i still dig 80's music (pop,rock,metal)....maybe that's not your era, but it was mine and very much a nice generation of music.....unlike today.

I understand. I know you intended it to be a compliment. That's why I said it was interesting - because different people will have different responses to music, even mutually incompatible or irreconcilable responses. :wink:

-Kim.

the beauty of music....why we all love it, right? music is like perfume....as soon as you smell it - it triggers a thought/memory/feeling - different for everyone. everytime i smell Benetton perfume...i think of that wierd chick I dated in High School that had nightmares of Mickey Mouse with big shoes chasing after her. :help:

anyway......good luck with the album. happy new year!

I can't get your myspace player to work, and I can't download it.
Rakkervoksen

Must be my ears then:)

this was a good track, way better than anything I could make.

...hey, are you calling me a dog?

dw

Hovmod wrote:I can't get your myspace player to work, and I can't download it.
I get problems with it too sometimes. I'll be getting a proper website soon, with proper direct downloads (not a web flash player). I'll have a bit more of my work online too. I'll post a message here when I get it online.

-Kim.

Havmod, I had an issue as well. If i "copied" the shortcut and pasted in a new browser window it worked for me.

later

dw

dusted william wrote:Havmod, I had an issue as well. If i "copied" the shortcut and pasted in a new browser window it worked for me.
Thanks. That worked, of course...

OK, this is a pretty damn cool song. It's hard to do a mellotron flute intro like that without getting the Beatles reference, so I won't notice that. :D
I liked it a lot. Maybe the beat was a little static here and there, but I really like the sound of the drums. The mangled "all that was black" vocals was great, and since I don't have a vocoder-allergy it all worked for me. :tu:
Top notch. And the mello flute later on is just gorgeous. Thanks for sharing.

Hovmod wrote:
dusted william wrote:Havmod, I had an issue as well. If i "copied" the shortcut and pasted in a new browser window it worked for me.
Thanks. That worked, of course...

OK, this is a pretty damn cool song. It's hard to do a mellotron flute intro like that without getting the Beatles reference, so I won't notice that. :D
I liked it a lot. Maybe the beat was a little static here and there, but I really like the sound of the drums. The mangled "all that was black" vocals was great, and since I don't have a vocoder-allergy it all worked for me. :tu:
Top notch. And the mello flute later on is just gorgeous. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks for listening. It's pretty hard to pick up a mellotron flute patch and not do an intro like that. :love: The mangled vocals are all Vokator as well. It's not just the "classic vocoder" sounds, it's more like an FFT toolbox with single-band and spectral dynamics, LFO-modulated delay (it's so hard not to set it up as a flanger on everything), various FFT sound destruction algorithms, full 2-osc synth (with FM, ring mod, waveform morphing, filter morphing, and scene morphing), sampler with (granular) pitch/time independence, flexible 2-in 2-out routing, ...

... and classic vocoder sounds as well. :hihi:

-Kim.

Return to “Music Cafe”