Am I getting the right idea???

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Does my poor attempt sound anything like dance music??
http://www.soundclick.com/util/download ... D7E22DEC-E

I'll offer some criticism... keep in mind that I've only produced one dance song and *I* made fun of it. But I had fun making it.

The lead needs some work, it should be clear, crisp and more defined. It sounded like a pad to me at first (or maybe your pad is just too much, sounding like part of the lead.) The way it is now, the bass is being drowned out.

The melody needs some work too. It sounds like just the same note over and over for a full measure, every measure. That can be effective for part of the melody, but it shouldn't be used over the whole thing. It could use a bit if rythm too. It's good to leave some space in every measure... it's hard to describe a good rythm.

[Moved to Music Cafe -- I can't listen to it now, so if it doesn't belong in Music Cafe just let me know and I'll move it back/elsewhere.]

It was more of like me trying 2 melodies, just stretched for too long. As a melody, does it remotely resemble some type of dance music??

A perfect example of how some things might seem easy, because they 'appear' simple are not actually as easy as you might have thought. It's a whole different story trying to create something like what you thought at first was easy and make it excellent yourself.

Now if more people realized this, I think that those people would also grow a greater appriciation for multiple genres of music without jumping to the conclusion that a certain style of music is crap. There is good and bad music in every genre.

djanthonyw wrote:A perfect example of how some things might seem easy, because they 'appear' simple are not actually as easy as you might have thought. It's a whole different story trying to create something like what you thought at first was easy and make it excellent yourself.

Now if more people realized this, I think that those people would also grow a greater appriciation for multiple genres of music without jumping to the conclusion that a certain style of music is crap. There is good and bad music in every genre.
I never said it's crap :( :shock: I like dance music a lot...

xolax wrote:Does my poor attempt sound anything like dance music??
http://www.soundclick.com/util/download ... D7E22DEC-E
right, im no dance afficianado by any means so dont take too much notice of me here goes...

im gonna guess that your new to this? ie mixing and musicing and so on...
so im gonna go from that aspect, to my ears you definitely have the ideas, you know what it is your aiming for your just not sure how to achieve it?

first up you need to work on your arrangement, listen to a particular track over and over, then try and break it down into intro, verse chorus and so on, doesnt matter what you call each section so long as you know its a new section each time.
then work out what happens in each section.
now its onto building your own piece, try working on the main riffs and loops first then building them into a similar frame work to the track you listened too, ie sections rather than actually copying.

once you have worked something out from that that you are happy with and come back and well move onto adding some bits to make it more interesting and then mixing and so on.
no point ramming it all in one post.

hope this helps a little and keeps you involved, as oppose to derisory comments :roll:

if your not a beginner however tell me to fack orf :o :lol:

thanks for the advice. Ill try working on that. And yep im still quite new to all this, in general :) I appreciate the help.
+im a total newbie to dancemusic in general
Last edited by xolax on Sat Jan 06, 2007 5:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

xolax wrote:thanks for the advice. Ill try working on that. And yep im still quite new to all this, in general :) I appreciate the help.

well definitely in that case, take it step by step at first, start simple and it wont be too long before youre workin away happy with your tunes :D

perhaps something like this or similar might be of help

ps: check this thread for a few other recommendations from people who may have more idea about the genres your after, and good luck ;)

Return to “Music Cafe”