"I see the future"

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I just recorded a demo for these guys: Bracken Hill (only 2 songs finished so far) I rather like the music actually, so I thought I would post it up here...

Decent quality ogg versions of those two tracks are temporarliy up here: Future and My Little Sister

Comments on the production are welcome (my first laptop recording: 4 inputs for the whole band!) or on the music (I'll pass them on!)

:D

Bump!

Nice toms!
Great recording man, I'm listening to Future. It is quite reminiscent of the clash, but with sweeter vocals. Perhaps the kick is a bit too loud during the verses, but that's stretching to find something wrong with it. ;)
Anti-aliasing is for "synthmonk%ys".

freeztar wrote:Nice toms!
Cheers! I only used 4 mics for the whole kit: kick, snare and 2 overheads in "Recorderman" configuration. Sounds better than I expected it to really :D

Nice recording and some quality tunes (this kind of thing is very big wiv ver kids at the moment so I'm told) Reckon you could back off the reverb quite a bit though - would sound even better if it was more 'in yer face'.

What did you use for the overheads?
Anti-aliasing is for "synthmonk%ys".

A pair of Rode NT5s. AKG D12 on kick (yes, thats D12 not D112) and a rather unusual Sennheiser MD515 "Stick Grenade" on the snare.

Donks: you mean the overall reverb or the vocal FX? Most of the reverb on the band is from the room (I had a pair of ambient mics up) but I recorded everything except kick and snare as a stereo mix so can't adjust the level of the room mics now. (I had to judge it on headphones on the day!)

I added some snare verb though, and the vocals were overdubbed, so maybe I will have a go at a drier mix! On the other hand, it does have a kind of ToeRag Studios vibe to it that I quite like...

It was only meant to be a rough demo anyway: thats why I took the laptop instead of the full DAW with 16 inputs! I'm planning to do some proper recording with them soon, this was just a kind of pre-production session (plus they really needed a decent demo!)

IIRs wrote:
Donks: you mean the overall reverb or the vocal FX? Most of the reverb on the band is from the room (I had a pair of ambient mics up) but I recorded everything except kick and snare as a stereo mix so can't adjust the level of the room mics now. (I had to judge it on headphones on the day!)
Ahh, I meant sort of overall. Best off leaving it as it is then. Still sounds good anyhow.

I'm not familiar with the NT5's so that gives me something to think about.
Absolutely great mic placement imho. The natural reverb is great and this works well as a demo.

freeztar wrote: Absolutely great mic placement imho.
I used the RecorderMan technique ;)

I prefer more traditional coincidental or ORTF setups when I close mic all the drums as I feel it captures a better stereo image of the cymbals, but Recorderman works well for minimal setups as it picks up the floor tom much better...

Nice link! :)
The snare came out quite nice, I guess due to the SM7, which is defintely an unusual choice. ;)

Who said I used an SM7 ?? I might have done if I owned one, though frankly the guitars would have had first dibs on it!

The snare mic was a vintage Sennheiser MD515 (thankyou ebay!), nicknamed the Stick Grenade after its unusual shape. Apparently it uses the same capsule as the famous MD421... it has a nice big open sound anyway, with lots of bass and a bit of a dip in the low mids (I often use it for kick drums live, as I refuse to use my D12 on stage!)

Aye, my bad. :oops:...no SM7. :oops: (don't know where I got that from).
I correct myself and say the rodes sound nice on the snare!

Return to “Music Cafe”