nature boy

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Insect- see http://rachmiel.org/music/music.htm
Welcome to my music.

For me, the highest goal in music is to capture, in sound and gesture, the one-of-a-kind idiosyncratic being that you just happen to be. To celebrate your uniqueness without fear of censure or unpopularity.

To compose your self.

Enjoy. :-)

rachmiel wrote:thanks, bobsled. you are one of the most hard-working (you listen to everything and take the time to comment) and generous (you always find something nice to say)
Music Cafe teaches me as much as, if not more than, the Music Theory forum. :oops:

> weird stuff coming from fellow rochester dweller

must be the water. :-)

Well, you've mastered the Pedal Point technique - and you may even know how Cher got that vocal effect on 'I Believe'!

Just goes to show what you can do when you put a great song and vocalist together with a mad computer scientist.

thanks spoon. :-) i appreciate.

> You do know that the vocals are in an entirely different key than the bass in the background.. And the pitched up vocals totally break whatever key signature remained right

you know, the best thing about getting a solid education in music theory is that, once you get OVER it, you don't have to worry about what's "right" or "wrong" anymore. there was a time i cared about breaking the rules of harmony, meter, form, whatever. now i just dive in and let my ears take me where they will.
Last edited by rachmiel on Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

> show what you can do when you put a great song and vocalist together with a mad computer scientist

:-) she's really good. you should hear her in person; it's even better. and, to top it off, she's one of the most creatively depraved people i've ever met. ;-)

Intriguing piece, partly because it was so unexpected, based on what I've heard of your recent output. It definitely goes beyond novelty for me, as I listened a good 7 or 8 times in a row and found it stood up quite nicely. The vox provide such a lush, beautiful wash, and contrast really well with the spare beats and the passive-agressive bass. Stand out!

Gotta say as well that these 2 notions are absolutely central to my art and my life:
rachmiel wrote:For me, the highest goal in music is to capture, in sound and gesture, the one-of-a-kind idiosyncratic being that you just happen to be. To celebrate your uniqueness without fear of censure or unpopularity.

To compose your self.
rachmiel wrote:you know, the best thing about getting a solid education in music theory is that, once you get OVER it, you don't have to worry about what's "right" or "wrong" anymore. there was a time i cared about breaking the rules of harmony, meter, form, whatever. now i just dive in and let my ears take me where they will.
Just want to thank you for articulating those thoughts!
Image Image

thanks, polyslax. :-)

if a student asked me, should i bother learning theory, i'd probably say:

yes! because: it can increase your palette of expressivity ... and if you don't, you'll probably always feel (at least a little bit) insecure about your abilities.

rachmiel wrote:
you know, the best thing about getting a solid education in music theory is that, once you get OVER it, you don't have to worry about what's "right" or "wrong" anymore. there was a time i cared about breaking the rules of harmony, meter, form, whatever. now i just dive in and let my ears take me where they will.

/vurt does a little shuffle, almost a dance some might say...

> vurt does a little shuffle

we / want / the / vid-e-oooooooooooo!

HI

I love 'Nature Boy' ... just a song I remember from my childhood days.

This version is technically interesting - effected vocals to this extreme rather spoil what is a classic numberIMO.

For a SERIOUS variation on 'Nature Boy' - seek out a version by Desi Roots circa 1979.

Flipper.

> effected vocals to this extreme rather spoil what is a classic

"spoil what is a classic" is my middle name. actually, i don't see it as spoiling ... rather: interpreting. or more accurately, re/de-interpreting.

Why do I get the feeling that Nature Boy is going to grow up to be very strange indeed!. Will he squash you like a bug? I saved it because it is most definitely different, and that in itself makes it commendable.

This song really resonated with me. I really enjoy being able to detach my self from technique and convention and this is a track that lends very well to that. The vocals are superb, there are places where it harmonizes (weather dissonantly or harmonically) that just blew my mind. Thanks for this one.

Just curious, have you heard the version that David Bowie did with Massive Attack?

Return to “Music Cafe”