Absolutely NOT a Norton Disney song...

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

You know those times when something just has got to be written, even if it makes no sense?
Well, one afternoon my head wouldn't do anything except this song. Fight it as I might, it just had to be done. I never bothered to finish off the arrangement, so it's just guitars/bass/drums - I didn't bother with the strings, pads etc. I did spend a couple of hours on the BVs though, which I really quite like.

Sounds Like A Love Song

This is so definitely not a Norton Disney song!
Please bear in mind when you listen to it that you must have your tongue placed firmly in cheek & fingers rammed down throat (if that's possible at the same time)

Try to get through to the end for the couple of joke key-changes!

I just thought if I've had to have this going round in my head, then you guys should suffer too :hihi:

Damn you! :wink:

Terrifically cheesy... harkens back to a lot of the syrupy soft rock pop stuff that I heard during high school... puts me in mind of April Wine, which you probably won't recognize being from outside Canada. Some nice clever (and funny!) turns of phrase as in your other material.

The BVs are pretty lush... are you correcting those at all?... you don't have to answer that.

The gratuitous key changes are the icing.
Image Image

Cheers polyslax.
I must admit to the end BVs being pitched up as i couldn't reach the top parts after the second keychange!
But, no. I just stick the seq in cycle & sing each one round half a dozen times, drag them to new tracks, then on to the next bit. I keep everything except the real groaners & just tighten up the starts & ends of each block later.
When I first started doing big blocks just a couple of years ago, I made the mistake of pitch & time correcting everything - it made a (literally) 90 track block sound like about 6 singers. What a waste of time & effort. Since then I've learned to leave 'em rough, it sounds so much bigger & fuller. I also learned to stay away from the FX rack, too. my BVs are almost always completely uneffected, which allows them to cut through better (although not actually in this track, there's a bit of rev on them). I also never put any BV part in the centre of the mix, they're all panned in an arc away from the middle.

Everything gets smoothed out with my huge chain of compressors. The vox will be going through probably 4 comps by the time they reach the ear. Very soft-knee across the BV pair, then a multi-band, single-band soft-knee & a multiband limiter across the masters. Each pretty gentle, but pumping the pop-master by the time they're all added together.

Just for fun, I've posted up the solo BVs for one chorus - just so you cacn hear how rough they really are once they're removed from the safety of the track :wink:
Love Song BVs
Have a laugh!

Cheers for that! Always cool to hear tracks in isolation. Interesting compressor setup as well - thanks for the info!
Image Image

Return to “Music Cafe”