March Contest: Submission

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Flashback - The 70's

Ah yes, The 70's I remember them fondly. Lots of great music came out of that era.

The theme for this month will be Prog Rock of the 70's
I think Wikipedia says it best.
Your task this month is to create a comp that sounds like it came from this period.

Good Luck

1 - Submissions MUST follow these rules:

(a) encoded in either .mp3 (128kbps or lower if fixed rate ... average of 128kbps or lower if VBR) or .ogg format (quality level 4.00 or lower)

(b) A STRICT MAXIMUM of TWO MINUTES in length. If it shows up as 2:01 in my player, then I'll allow it for reasons of rounding in different players. But you shouldn't take that chance! Any longer gets a DISQUALIFICATION. That said, if a submitted track is over length, all contestants should feel free to mock the offending entrant mercilessly into getting permission to enter a new version of correct length.

(c) entered into the contest by posting a DIRECT LINK in this RULES & SUBMISSIONS thread (use the GOSSIP thread for everything else). If you cant provide a direct link, please contact one of the following people listed below, they will be happy to help you out.
(These people provide free hosting for the purpose of this contest only! They are not a hosting service. When contacting these people, please take the effort to understand the terms and conditions they provide).

Providers:
1 - adj
2 - _niko_
3 - knockman
4 - scoops
5 - watto
6 - slartibartfast
7 - kovacs

In Addition...
Kara at www.kara-moon.com/forum has offered "self service" space. Log into the forum to find out more

(d) submitted before 11:59 PM Saturday, March 24th, 2007

2 - Your track SHOULD also ...

(a) be composed specifically for this contest

(b) be created using at least some audio plugins, virtual synths, or software studio

(c) have the FILE named in a format of "yearmonth_artistname_tracktitle"(ie "0703_artistname_tracktitle.mp3"), where the artistname is the same as your KVR name. Please, do not use spaces and special charaters in the filename.

(d) IF you are going to tag your mp3, the artist name is to be the same as your KVR name, and the title tag is to be the name of your tune (help us out, okay? it's easier to sift through labelled entries)

3 - Only one entry per person - no resubmissions without permission from the moderator, INCLUDING for time-overage correction. PM me for permission!

4 - Any tracks not adhering to these guidelines will be very naughty indeed. Possibly disqualified upon peer review. And at least mocked for all to point and giggle.

5 - Voting (members must have at least 20 posts to vote ... although contest entrants are exempt from this ruling) will run from the submission deadline until 11:59 PM Saturday, March 31st - anyone voting for themselves will find ALL their votes disqualified - any entrants not voting will also be disqualified

PRIZES

Ben from Camel Audio has been so kind as to donate a prize of ANY of their
products this month (and later months until further notice).

Kong Audio has donated any one of thier products for this month

There may be other prizes.

dont forget ... you can also check out all this months tracks in one easy process over on ...
MARKLEFORD RADIO

... and download them all using garret's handy DOWNLOAD TOOL

----

Have a Nice day
Last edited by Scoops on Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bunch O Stuff

Yes! After a few months absence from the competition I'm back and I'm even the first submission! :hyper:

Hope you all like it, this is my view of the music of those times that changed so much, called Timechange.
"...Everything we see or seem is but a dream, within a dream."
MySpace site: http://www.myspace.com/MarcJX8P
Virb: http://www.virb.com/marcjx8p

Ok wankin' wankers, here's your fookin' prog rock crap!

[click my sig to listen :D ]

I had a real dillema this month because, here in France, in the 70's we didn't have any prog rock and I allways try to do something with a French touch in the contest.
The closest we came to some kind of prog rock in the 70's was a guy named André Rieux who started to make an attempt at making classical music more popular for the mass crowd.
And he actualy became very fast popular in France. Now the funny thing is that everybody tought here he was French but actually he is Dutch :)
He still doing the same style and became world famous doing this.

I tried to recreate the style he used in the seventies, I hope you will enjoy it :)

Tribute to Zelda (MP3 version)

For those who want better audio quality (ogg version)

With thanks to Miss K. for playing the theme. Allways remembers me why I felt in love with here many years agoo.

http://www.samplesquad.com/kvr/0703_sha ... ighway.mp3

Maybe it's a little like Abacab-era Genesis with some UK thrown in there. :shrug: Certainly not as cool as those bands, though. I found it tough to be proggy in two minutes, wanting more time to build things up and maybe horse around with time signatures. When I think prog, I think 'long intro, layered-up themes, misty solo sections, and drum wankery'. hehe.

I'm not much into progressive rock, but multiple sources list Kraftwerk in that genre, so I've made an attempt at 2-minute Kraftwerk-style prog rock

Echo Voodoo presents:
:arrow: Why Are You Calling Me?
(2:00, 1.83MB 128kbps mp3)

Used: FL Studio 7, FPC, Fabfilter One, Oatmeal, Fruity Speech Synthesizer, Fruity Vocoder, Fruity Compressor, Fruity Multiband Compressor, Classic Master Limiter.

Thanks to Kara Moon for hosting . . .

http://www.kara-moon.com/download_song. ... ad_id=4188
Sunset Flight

Host: Cakewalk "Home Studio"
Plugs: Voxengo Span, CatDelay, Endorphin

Some good entries already. I look forward to hearing the rest.
"Don't fear mistakes. There are none." - Miles Davis

(E-major Commencement to B-Flat Finale) In One Sixtieth

Special thanks to Legion Hush for the guitar and bass work.

Equipment: MacBook Pro, M-Audio Oxygen 8, Squire Strat, Yamaha bass, Sony headphones
Host: Logic Express 7.2.3 w/GarageBand instruments and effects.

This was fun to do but I'm not sure how authentic it is. (Can't remember 60's or 70's though I'm assured I was there.) :)

Just Jammin'

From the year I was born. I never listened to much prog rock, and the song I chose isn't rock either really, but I like it lots and I found it on some of the websites mentioned in the gossip thread. So here goes my version of Camel's great song.

core - the snow goose

I'm sorry I couldn't perform this on guitar, as that is really much better.
Rekkerd.org the latest news on audio plugins, sample libraries & virtual instruments, synth presets & more.
Don't click here if you can't control yourself!

Retropolis

..So the old player needs a new needle, but it still works a'right :)

Gratuitous head nodding to Camel, Bruford/UK, Gentle Giant, Yes/Wakeman, Vangelis, Refugee/Moraz, Steve Reich (in the Afternoon), Kansas, Genesis, The Amazing Blondel, Happy The Man, Focus (for incongruous connexions), Triumvirat, 10cc, Gong (Pierre Moerlen's), plus countless others I've heard through the years..

[EDIT]
There have been complaints of about the use of the LP version of this track in the official entry. To address this I have uploaded a Limited Edition Bootleg Premasterd version of the tune (found outside a damp studio in Camden Town (London, UK) near Dingwalls).

Retropolis Premastered

Of course, true prog is only listened to on a home built Cambridge Audio Systems HiFi [with preamps that understand 'Flat Response' as the listener being asleep], with a self made stereo cartridge and speakers culled from an old Bird valve organ which had seen better days... So the premaster is anathema to true prog and cannot be seen as part of my entry; however, I provide it for completionists (as every prog-lover is ;))
[/EDIT]

Enjoy
DSP
Last edited by duncanparsons on Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

70's prog-rock theme.
:-o

The Set Up.

http://www.kara-moon.com/download_song. ... ad_id=4196

Featuring

Off the wall on Westfield P-bass,
Off the planet on Maya Strat,
Off his marbles on Fender acoustic,
Off on holiday on Generation 'C' whistle, and
Off his head on Pro-sessions (sample) drums.
:?
All recorded in front of the invited audience of:
CamelCrusher, VoxengoBoogex, TubeDriver, and the ever present groupies: ClassicChorus, ClassicReverb and ClassicMasterLimiter.

Peace and Love brothers and sisters.
:clown:

Rally up little space cowboys & get your motor running...

freeway jam

Peace,

Jonny

Hi,

this is my third entry so far.
I tried to capture the 70ies prog atmosphere...
As I'm a not too creative in (english) lyrics, I decided to
sing just some german phrases which came into my mind spontaneously...
So, it's krauty Progrock...

es flossen traenen

I used :
Cubase SL 3
M-Tron
Drums : NaturalStudio-Kit
Organ samples
Jazzpiano soundfont

My Voice
Bass
A+E Guitars
Flute

The text :? I could translate it, if required...

die sonne schien, es war mild, es war schön
es flossen tränen,
weil etwas zu ende ging

ich komm nochmal bei dir vorbei
und hol die sachen
die du noch von mir hast...

warum muss man hier auf erden, hassen, lieben, streiten, vergeben
aaaaahaaaahaaaaa

es flossen tränen,

weil etwas schönes zu ende ging...

cheers, Nils

I don't have time to make another song, so the first draft song that I rejected at first will have to do.
Permission to change status of the song kindly granted by Scoops.
I decided against fixing it up, since it's kinda already out there...

I decided to (re)name it Miromurr after my favourite children's science fiction hero Benji's flying cat.
Rakkervoksen

Return to “Music Cafe”