First attempt at rap, really just to see if I got close

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Lyrics are about the challenge of writing 14 songs in a month for FAWM. Pitch shifted my vox to get a little more authentic (hey, I'm a singer songwriter type guy).

The Way We Roll

nutha bar on my graph yall. (this line would only make sense to my fellow FAWMers.

-Scott

I don't listen to much rap (some Run DMC, Fat Boys, DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince back in the 80s, whatever my fiance's watching on MuchMusic these days), so take this with a grain of salt, but I'll offer my comments.

Most of the stuff I've seen on music videos lately contains more musical elements than this track, which is pretty minimal (I only caught drums, bass, and occasional bleepy sounds). There wasn't really a musical hook in this one.

The rap I remember from the 80s did sometimes have that minimal instrumentation, but tended to be much lyrically denser. To a large degree, I think the skill of the rapper was and is measured by their ability to sustain long and rhythmically-interesting phrases. Your lyrics were fairly brief phrases with lots of space.

This is not to say I didn't like your track; I thought the drums were great, and the pitch-shifting on your voice was effective, I think. Could have done without the vocal doubling for most of it, though.

As an attempt to sound like current or past rap (that I'm familiar with, anyway), I'd say it's not really there, but as an effort in itself, it's not bad.

I haven't listened to the song, but that is one hellof a review.

hye you listen to what I used to listen to. What was the name of that beat box guy on Fresh Prince's first album? I used to listen to that while delivering papers for spending $$$.

good stuff.

btw I'm downloading now.

dw

dusted william wrote:I haven't listened to the song, but that is one hellof a review.
Thanks.
dusted william wrote:hye you listen to what I used to listen to. What was the name of that beat box guy on Fresh Prince's first album?
According to wikipedia, it's Ready Rock C (Clarence Holmes). I don't personally remember the details; I never paid attention to that kind of information in my youth.

ok my 2 cents.

I love the bass line in this, and the beats are awesome.

While this is not pro style rapping, it fits the tune nicely and I think it works.

I would say lose the doubling effect on the vox as well.

I love the line "so what if this is filler", brilliance in work.

I'm actually listening to this for the second time, I like it.

dw

Ready Rock C...that's what I thought. Man I must have listened to those albums thousands of times. I used to beat box and rap the words all to myself practicing my skills on my paper route. People must have thought I was crazy. Ready Rock was my beat box influence, not that I'm any good, but I'm better than anyone I know.

rockstar.. I really dig your quirky little tune. I wish I knew of FAWN before. If I remember I will have to prepare for next year.

take it easy guys.

dw

Thanks for your comments. Pretty much what I expected, and I agree with them wholeheartedly, but of the 14 songs I did last month, this one got the most comments.

Hey, I'm sure there are better rappers out there, but you got my attention with those drums! Can you give us some details on what you used to create those? All pre-made samples/midi loops? Hand programmed? VST plug?

jakob wrote:Hey, I'm sure there are better rappers out there, but you got my attention with those drums! Can you give us some details on what you used to create those? All pre-made samples/midi loops? Hand programmed? VST plug?
All pre-made loops off of cover cd/dvd for Computer Music, Future Music.

The low end boom was added using MDA sub synth.

I did do some stretching in Tracktion to get them all to the same BPM or multiple.

-Scott

Return to “Music Cafe”