More difficult than I'd expected

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Was fascinated by the Amiga MOD scene artists back in the day. I used to listen to Mick Rippon's music over and over while writing essays/assignments in university.

Thought I'd try to recreate the magic of one of his best tracks.

Existing

Turns out that mixing that many instruments (especially the harmonizing guitars) is much more difficult than I had expected. Hopefully it sounds OK though. (something still doesn't seem quite right with the lead guitar).

For reference, the original ScreamTracker mod file is here:

http://www.mickrippon.com/downloads/tunes/mr_exist.s3m

(works with winamp or modplug).

Feedback welcomed.

Cheers.

lovely beginning.
strings meander in nice.
then the ubiquitous frazzled guitar.

joyous!!!!

edit - the ending is fecking awesome!!!

Whoa... That was quick.

Hopefully 'the ubiquitous frazzled guitar' was meant in a positive way! :)

Thanks much for the feedback laputa.

i enjoyed the guitar, not its ubiquity... dont know why i wrote it in really, :hihi: ,not really important and confussels my message... sorry!!! :hyper: :dog: :oops: :hihi: :D

Excellent job man. Everything sounds great through my speakers. Are you playing an acoustic guitar in the beginning? That might sound stupid to ask but it almost sounds more synth than acoustic. whatever it is, it sounds damn good.

And don't you hate it when you recreate a track and it sounds so friggen good that you just wish that it was YOUR song 8)
"You must not only aim aright, but draw the bow with all your might."

Man, you gotta respect those MOD tracker ppl. But I don't miss the 8bit sound really (despite the fact that it's impressive what they did with it back then). So, naturally, your mix sounds much "bigger" now. Comparing it with the original, I sort of miss the "slides" they did on the guitar sound. Also, I find you've made the strings/pads too wide, the mix doesn't blend well at some points and becomes "muddy" (you know, too much happening at the same time so that one can't identify the parts anymore).

But overall, good effort, tweak it some! :D

Thanks for the feedback musikjock. The intro is a combination of nylon-string (panned left) and banjo (panned right) and a ukulele (centered + verbed). All from the Colossus library.

Yeah, it's always better knowing that the original composition was my own creation, but I really did fall in love with this track right from the very first listen. And in the last 10 years since, I must've listened to it another gazillion times. Mick's compositions are beautiful, and this one is especially so.

@ jakob: yeah, I've so much respect for the original amiga-scene artists of the day. It's really amazing what they were able to create with four channels, and samples totalling a few-hundred K.

I appreciate your feedback. I'll see if I can't vary the dynamics of the idividual elements more. You're right, everything seems at a pretty static level right now. I'll also try to tame the hyper-wide strings as well. (I've never prided myself in being much of a mixing engineer. This has been a good learning experience).

Cheers.

Return to “Music Cafe”