TC does Hendrix (sort of)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi Guys

Decided to have some fun today, and since I was getting back in Jimi Hendrix again, after ressurecting some tapes, getting some more CD's and videos, here is my Jimi Hendrix tribute

Voodo Chile-TC

http://www.wusik.com/song.php?id=1528

now..Lord Knows I ain't THE VOODO CHILD, but I gave it a go anyway :-) and had fun doing it( and thats what counts.) Just wanted to prove to myself a 50 year old can still rock out once in a while...yeah..I know..I mostly post my ambient pieces here, but occasionally, i have to get out the guitar and turn it up once in a while.

This uses Amp-sim2, DK plus for the drums, and a real Fender Musicmaster bass ( me playing it)
The Guitar is a Peavy T60, and has a pretty good strat type of sound. That goes thru a Crybaby wah wah, which goes into a fender m-80 pre-amp which goes into the soundcard input. Every thing recorded in sony Acid pro.

so..its just Guitar, bass and drums. I haven't done THAT in a while!! I was thinking of adding a pad to modernize it..but naw..it would ruin it!

anyway..Enjoy, and thanks for listening to an old rocker :-)

Tim
Last edited by tconrardy on Sat Apr 14, 2007 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

You done Jimi proud mate! Kicks ass!
G.
There is geometry in the humming of the strings, there is music in the spacing of the spheres. Pythagoras

:tu:

Love the sound and the playing. All it needs to be 'super' is some variation (maybe even some vocals.)
"Don't fear mistakes. There are none." - Miles Davis

Khepira wrote::tu:

Love the sound and the playing. All it needs to be 'super' is some variation (maybe even some vocals.)
Thanks..I was thinking of vocals..but I am a terrible singer, but maybe I can think of something to create variations..maybe cymbol splashes or other percussion tracks, as that was just a pattern going in DK Plus.

Tim

Very cool, Tim! :D I think you caught the Hendrix 'feel' nicely.

Go Tim Go!! Fan that boy down before the neck catches on fire.
More raw guitar tracks on KVR. Cool 8) :tu:

tconrardy wrote:
Khepira wrote::tu:

Thanks..I was thinking of vocals..but I am a terrible singer, but maybe I can think of something to create variations..maybe cymbol splashes or other percussion tracks, as that was just a pattern going in DK Plus.

Tim
Sing the lowest note you naturally sing. Find it on the keyboard. You can always go right to and sing this note. You'll find that the rest of your "natural" octave is made of very slight variations on that natural note. More like talking than singing when you get right down to it. The hard part is moving up and down octaves and still hitting the right note, so don't do it until you are more practiced..

This won't make you a great singer but you'll be able to carry a tune at least enough to do Hendrix vocals.

tomg wrote:Go Tim Go!! Fan that boy down before the neck catches on fire.
Too late

My Peavy Guitar went thru a fire, and the neck is all black at places, and the pick gard is all warped, so it looks like I'm smoking when I play :-) I got some raised eyebrows when I took it in for a tuneup :-) It still plays great however.

Tim

tconrardy wrote:
tomg wrote:Go Tim Go!! Fan that boy down before the neck catches on fire.
Too late

My Peavy Guitar went thru a fire, and the neck is all black at places, and the pick gard is all warped, so it looks like I'm smoking when I play :-) I got some raised eyebrows when I took it in for a tuneup :-) It still plays great however.

Tim
It's uncanny how I know these things. I must be a psycho. :hihi:

Beregond wrote:Very cool, Tim! :D I think you caught the Hendrix 'feel' nicely.
The spirit is alive ! :wink:

Cheers

Hi Tim, you're a brave man ! It took me 40 years to get enough balls to do a little Hendrix tribute (last month in the KvR song contest). :oops:
IMO Stevie Ray Vaughan did the best version of Voodoo Chile, but he also died; be careful... :wink: :lol:
From time to time you're getting very close and I'm sure you'd have come closer with the right wild drum track to inspire you.
Maybe I've got something laying around here in my studio, I see if I can find it and send it to you (if ya don't mind). :wink:

Mandrix... .. . :P
Carpo diem ergo sum !

kick+snare up, shaker down

Max el Belga wrote:Hi Tim, you're a brave man ! It took me 40 years to get enough balls to do a little Hendrix tribute (last month in the KvR song contest). :oops:
IMO Stevie Ray Vaughan did the best version of Voodoo Chile, but he also died; be careful... :wink: :lol:
From time to time you're getting very close and I'm sure you'd have come closer with the right wild drum track to inspire you.
Maybe I've got something laying around here in my studio, I see if I can find it and send it to you (if ya don't mind). :wink:

Mandrix... .. . :P
Hi Max

well..this was a more of a stir in the moment deal. I had eXT up, and DK plus with this drum thing going, with the sim2free plug up for guitar.Then I just started jamming, and then realized the drums had the same kinda feel as voodoo child, so I went for it, so the main track is a live performance I did in eXT and captured it, made a wave file, then broght up Acid Pro,imported it, and added a bass line and a little EQ. Unfortunatly, the drum mix is what it is. I could put in extra percussion to include snares, ect, so they go up a bit..or..I could start over and do another performance , and keep all the tracks seperated( as the guitar and drums were both on the same track..I know..NOT GOOD!!) but..it would be a different performence..but..you guys inspire me!!

EDIT: Went back and played your tribute..a nice piece of work!! I loved it!! a LOT more detailed then my "simple" jam.

Tim
Last edited by tconrardy on Sat Apr 14, 2007 4:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Rakkervoksen

Laguna Rising wrote:
Beregond wrote:Very cool, Tim! :D I think you caught the Hendrix 'feel' nicely.
The spirit is alive ! :wink:

Cheers
yeah..I guess its more of a feel then an actual reproduction, although I did try to replicate some riffs. I went to the movie blog site, and there were several vooddo child imitations, and one done by a 12 yesr old which was not bad. I remeber seeing Stevie Ray's version, but have not seen it in years.

Raining here like crazy..time to put on " Rainy day..dream away" ..love that song!!

Tim

Return to “Music Cafe”