Son of TC does Hendrix (sort of)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

HI All

Max sent me a great drum track that I could use, and inspired me to do a second version of my Jimi Hendrix Tribute

VoodooChile2-TC

http://www.wusik.com/song.php?id=1533

although I have to say, after I started listening again to the original by the Voodoo man himself..I almost gave in the towel as my tribute is really pale compared to the original, so this is just an interpretation.

This uses a bit more stuff.
My Peavy T-60 electric put thru a crybaby wahwah and a fender m-80 pre-amp which is connected to my Receptor running effects such as CamelSpace and SE-Amp free guitar modeling. But..no whammy bar on the Peavy..so I have to fake it .

Fender music master Bass put thru the m-80 pre-amp with no effects.

The drums provided my Max..just EQ.THANKS MAX..great Kick-Ass drums!!
I decided to try a pad sound which is provided by Cameleon5000..makes it sound kinda progressive..I think I like it.

and last but not least.. Vocals by yours truly..and not the greatest, but adds a bit of variety. CamelSpace does wonders! :-) I had to go online and find the lyrics however. :-)

EDIT: vocals taken out :-)

Everything recorded in Sony AcidPro

so..let me know what you guys think. I kinda like the orginal performance of take 1, but I also like this one. Here is take 1 for comparisons.

VoodooChile1-TC

http://www.wusik.com/song.php?id=1528

Thanks for listening to an old fogy 50 year old just trying to rock out again.:-)

Tim
Last edited by tconrardy on Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

Hey TC you rock out again !
I like both versions, this one's different, and as I said before the important thing is recalling the jimi spirit, with similar sounds, playing style, arrangements and soul! You did it very well.

Cheers

Laguna Rising wrote:Hey TC you rock out again !
I like both versions, this one's different, and as I said before the important thing is recalling the jimi spirit, with similar sounds, playing style, arrangements and soul! You did it very well.

Cheers
Thanks...it was kinda weird doing vocals, as I never sing :-)
Just got back from barnes and noble with some Hendrix goodies: Band of Gypies concert on DVD, and a book: Hendrix, setting the record stright book, which seems very good.

Tim

Tim,

I listened to the first version last week but only through the PC speakers, which understandably didn't do you full justice.

I reckoned you deserved better this time round, so I listend to both versions through my Mackies in my "studio." Wow!!!

First of all, that is some pretty mean axe playing and you have created a worthy tribute to the great man.

I liked the energy you captured in the first version and loved the driving bass. But it was a little too "shaken and not stirred," if you get my drift.

The second version benefits greatly from the drum track, which gives it a more coherent and cultured sound.

I think the best is yet to come, with version three -- the drums from two, the guitar and bass from one. :) And without meaning any disrespect, I think the vocals on the second version detract somewhat from your guitar playing.

Great stuff, I enjoyed both versions immensely.

As an aside, it was your appreciation of Hendrix that prompted me to buy your BLUE Soundset last week. I've not had chance yet to get tangled up in BLUE but, from my initial review, I liked what I have heard. Excellent work again on your part.

You are never too old to rock and roll! 8)

The vocals are distracting primarily because they're not on-beat... unless I'm going mad! They seem to be delayed by several seconds. Killer vibe going on here, though... great stuff!

Hi Guys

thanks for your comments..yeah..i have to agree the vocals are distracting..but mostly becuase I am not a vocalist..this was the first time I have ever tried vocals on anything..it was suggested on the first song post that I should try it..so i did :-) However..I think I will take them off.

EDIT: file has been updated. No vocals this time :-)

Tim

As an aside, it was your appreciation of Hendrix that prompted me to buy your BLUE Soundset last week. I've not had chance yet to get tangled up in BLUE but, from my initial review, I liked what I have heard. Excellent work again on your part.
although..I live in two worlds. I am mostly known here for my ambient spacy peieces,( like this piece: Comet Malchholz http://www.wusik.com/song.php?id=446 ) and my sound design is known for those same qualities. Its just once in a while when I need to put on some drums and bass, and "rock out" , to clear the ambient air so to speak :-) so..its a release for me. I might even try some good ol 12 bar blues sometime :-)

Tim

Comet Malchholz -- Thanks for that, Tim.

It set me up nicely for the day. :)

Very well done, Tim ! Seems we still can make a lot of noise at our age ! :lol: (I'm 55 :wink: )
You sure captured the spirit of Jimi. You've made a decent piece of music, Timi Guitara. :hihi:
BTW I didn't knew you're actually an "ambient space" creator. 8) So this comes in handy to show your other side.

Indeed a joyful experience ! :D

Max... .. . :P
Carpo diem ergo sum !

Max el Belga wrote:Very well done, Tim ! Seems we still can make a lot of noise at our age ! :lol: (I'm 55 :wink: )
You sure captured the spirit of Jimi. You've made a decent piece of music, Timi Guitara. :hihi:
BTW I didn't knew you're actually an "ambient space" creator. 8) So this comes in handy to show your other side.

Indeed a joyful experience ! :D

hi Max

Thanks for the drum track..it really inspired me, and it was great to rock out to it!
Yeah..the other side of me is ambient space stuff along with my sound design. You can look at all the synths I have done sounds for on the first page of the sticky thread "Sound Designer of KVR" which is on the new sound design forum here at KvR. But mostly I work for Camel Audio and AlgoMusic nowadays.

Tim

Hi Tim, it seems quiet logical to me you became a sound maker ! 8) Hendrix was a sound creator too !
BTW, IMO a good place to be : Camel & Algo.

PS : You've got me fooled : I remembered you wrote something about humble singing; listened again,... still no voice, but then I saw yer "edit" :lol: . Don't forget Jimi wasn't realy a singer either. :wink: He just kinda mumbled in a melodic way, while playing the roof of the house...
Carpo diem ergo sum !

Very good! I like the new drums, and the pad is a nice touch. Have you given any thought to approaching any other older rock standards?
I wish I could sing as well as the voices inside my head...

http://www.cdbaby.com/darkvictory

Max el Belga wrote:Hi Tim, it seems quiet logical to me you became a sound maker ! 8) Hendrix was a sound creator too !
BTW, IMO a good place to be : Camel & Algo.

PS : You've got me fooled : I remembered you wrote something about humble singing; listened again,... still no voice, but then I saw yer "edit" :lol: . Don't forget Jimi wasn't realy a singer either. :wink: He just kinda mumbled in a melodic way, while playing the roof of the house...

Thanks Max. However, the comments were that the vocals were distracting and also not on time. Thats one thing that Jimi had..it was on time and he had good RYM. Also..and as you can hear from the song 'Electric ladyland'..he is a very good singer. He did all the background vocals too.

But..I still had FUN and thats what counts.
Right now I am reading " Hendrix/Setting the record stright" and learning all sorts of neat facts!

Tim

DocAtlas wrote:Very good! I like the new drums, and the pad is a nice touch. Have you given any thought to approaching any other older rock standards?

Hi Doc

Good idea!..although maybe I'll try a version of 1983 ..as I can use my sound design on that one :-)

Tim

Hi Tim!

Great stuff! :)

Obviously the drums are more authentic on Version 2 (great drum track BTW), but the guitar on Version 1 is so much more "in your face" in true Hendrix tradition. 8)

Also, speaking as a very reluctant singer myself, I'm dissapointed I missed the opportunity to hear vocals from my favourite sound designer! :)

Any chance of combining the tracks Tim? Guitar from V1, and drums from V2?

AlanB

Return to “Music Cafe”