The King of Mediocrity

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

:arrow: The King of Mediocrity

thanks for listening, all comments welcome

Took me by surprise with this one, Tim.

I listened a few times and can't quite figure out whether the mediocrity is an inherent part of the song or not! Is the production part of the play on words?

I recently tried a similar venture with my 'Father Reilly's Memory' (over at http://www.kara-moon.com/index.php?author=OffTheWall) where I attempted to emulate an 'amateur band at the church hall' sound. This wasn't too difficult for me as I have always been an 'amateur band'.
This is why you took me by surprise.
If you were trying to emulate that amateur band it is a success......but that is not your usual style.
If you weren't trying the amateur band, then you got a quite muddy mix there, in which it is difficult to pick out the instrumentation.....again, not your usual style.
:?
James

I have fairly amateur ears, sounded good to me. :oops:

There's a bit of murk on the right hand side where the bass interferes a little with the other elements. It might be just conditioning, but having the bass non-central leaves things a bit lop-sided to my ears. Otherwise a great set of sounds. Especially enjoyed the guitar slides and the 'clip clop' percussion.

The suggestive power of images - that picture of the King has got me hearing a tinge of Elvis in your voice during the verses, and the acidity of the lyrics brings Elvis Costello to mind. The character type - zen, moccasins, 5 stars, collars - didn't ring much of a bell in my Aussie brain. lost in cultural translation; is this the famous 'chav' we hear about every now and then?

Classy song, of course. Nice twist on your usual sound.

I can't figure out, what Offthewall meant...
the fresh retro-gadget quiek organ 60's cool relaxer is far from mediocre...and the mix is quite first half of the 70's. Erste Sahne!

Grazie Timoteo!

mc
"It dreamed itself along"

Dear Oddbods,
please accept my apologies.......faulty headphones are now in the bin !!
:oops:
:hail:

Didn't the picture make the meaning obvious? I like it, Badly Drawn Boy comes to mind.

well I did have a few problems with the mix, especially the bass which I'm still not happy with, but I didn't think it was quite that bad James :wink:
My voice is a little odd in the verses but no elvis impersonation was deliberate :oops:

Thank you for listening and commenting.

:o Woow, this is a surprise to me.
Although I know your voice the singing style is different here, and I like it.
Well done

Cheers

Repeated with more sincerity;
:oops: :oops:
Dear Oddbods,
please accept my apologies.......faulty headphones are now in the bin !!
:oops:
:hail:

you're about 2 hours of hyper-over-production from this being a great modern "Beck" song.(and thats a compliment from me, believe it) Really good work. I agree the bass should be centered more, but a really nice, short pop track all in all.
peace
jazzyspoon

The drums are too repetitive (drumloop with snare a tick too loud - stop: Maybe it's only my personal taste, as most of people out there seem to like those sort of drums?!),
very fine arrangement though and very well singing as always!
It sounds to me like a too quick mix.

Tschuess

t
Symphony Nr.1
Meet the Cities Repair Team Unimportant laughter
music has become meaningless...we just keep doing it

no the drums are NOT too repeditive (honestly saying that in the context of contemporary music is verging on retarded!)

they're propably just a little too loud and not quite the right sounds..

listen to the Beta's Bands Inner Meet Me...there's a good example of how
that kind of beat can work in an acoustic based track..
< nobody cares what you use >

quantize wrote:no the drums are NOT too repeditive (honestly saying that in the context of contemporary music is verging on retarded!)
:P 8) :hihi: :roll:
Symphony Nr.1
Meet the Cities Repair Team Unimportant laughter
music has become meaningless...we just keep doing it

I like this....it could be the alternate sound track to Napolean Dynamite. The organ is classic!
Good job.... :)
dano
"In a sky full of people, only some want to fly,
Isn’t that crazy?"

Thanks for all the comments,
All well observed points.
Thomekk/Quantize - drum level and repetitiveness.
I wasn't 100% sure about either but decided I'd noodled around with the song long enough.
Drums are RMX, which is why it sounds loopy to some extent, although I did throw in some fills by editing the midi.

Jazzyspoon - yep, Beck is certainly the main influence with this.
Strangely I didn't mean the bass not to be central and can't understand why it is, I'll have to go back and look at this as I'm sure it's not panned :?

Organ is Precisionsound Retro Gadgets II

Cheers

Return to “Music Cafe”