[ugo] Resignation

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

There is nothing wrong with a short song. 2:30 packed full of ideas is perfectly justifiable. Often in the past I have felt the need to get songs over the 4 min barrier, when perhaps they were better suited as 3:10 or whatever. I'm just saying don't be afraid to let a song be itself - don't force it.

ugo wrote:Thanks guys :)
flippya2000 wrote:Looks like the 2hr plan is working 4u ;) Pretty decent ambient piece imo. I really like the presence of the synths. If you don't mind me asking, what host did you use? Did you use anything else to master other than VW?
While it wasn't exactly 2 hours this time...more like 4 for this one...I did lay down the majority of the song structure within that time frame. Then I let myself improve upon that framework over several days, as time allowed. But I did use the same general method for writing this though as I wrote about with Funky Lime's 2 hour song exercise. It works for me nearly every time.

I used Cubase SL3 for my host and only VW was used on the main outs...nothing else. It was the "Mix Finalize 3" preset with the bass boosted a little and the mix set at 75%.
folderol wrote:Nice atmospheric piece. Could be developed a bit more maybe?
blatanville wrote:very nice, definitely a viable track for release.

I would say, though, constructively, that I want to hear more justification for the mid-point breakdown.
I mean, compositionally. currently, it feels more like, "well, we've had the big chorus, gotta breakdown now."
It comes in abruptly, for me.

the development out of the breakdown is great, though.

and I like the bell tones!
Thanks, and yeah...about the post big chorus breakdown...that's exactly what happened. :hihi: However, after building it up to that point, I was afraid that slowly working my way out of it would feel like the song was ending (which is, of course, exactly what I did for the ending), so I just chopped it off.

Perhaps I should build a new section in there to help that transition though. :?:

folderol, is this the section that was feeling unfinished to you too, or are there other areas you suggest I work more on? (More parts, additional instrumentation, etc.?)
Sorry to be so late responding.

Yes I was thinking specifically about this. However, I also thought that you should either make more instrument changes, or - dare I say it - shorten the piece. I confess that I myself am sometimes guilty of repeating sections of melody because I think the tune 'should' be longer.
It wasn't me! (well, actually, it probably was) - apparently now an 'elderly' so maybe I forgot!

Ok, I agree with you guys...you're right. I will revisit the song (as time allows) and see if I can add more changes into it and generally develop the ideas further. ...or perhaps shorten it a bit. Though I'd rather see if I can do more to develop it first before just cutting it in half.

Return to “Music Cafe”