[ runagate ] more irritating sounds

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

yeah! :hihi: I'm diggin' the irritating sounds, runny. keep'em comin'!
I love Thaw... reminds me of the first times I tried to use the noise reduction in Cool Edit: even though I "did it wrong" I really loved that underwatery texture that early generations of noise reduction gave it. One of the coolest and least used fx... I digress, though... or perhaps its' because I've got "Cosying" looping while I type this? ;P
excellent.

Wonderful brutha!
Image Image

what a trip...

wild...

runagate wrote:
The last time I took a hearing test, working at the airport for a few months they check you a few times a year, I could hear every tone (22khz!? my little brother, too) plus repeat the conversation I heard outside the sound booth, outside the trailer the test was in, about 50' away.
Wow, congratulations for your ears :). I spoke to several doctors who told me not even 10 year old kids could hear above 20khz! Hey that must be exciting :) . Not to be confused with "das absolute Gehör", however that translates into English, the fact you can say "F#1 after Bb6" and so on (which puzzled my teacher at school, but I still think it is not much more than simply counting after you got some basic "okay that's 440" in your head. ) The people at university even told me world-class conductors sometimes could not listen beyond 14khz if they're 45 or older. Doesn't make their art worse, but still, I wish I could listen to such frequences too like you can.

Increase the Flash Gordon noise and put more science stuff around.

I hope you don't mind runagate, but I was inspired to mess with this one a bit. :)
RUNAGATE-CosyingUpToPericynthian-Ugo-Remix.mp3

blortblort wrote:yeah! :hihi: I'm diggin' the irritating sounds, runny. keep'em comin'!
I love Thaw... reminds me of the first times I tried to use the noise reduction in Cool Edit: even though I "did it wrong" I really loved that underwatery texture that early generations of noise reduction gave it. One of the coolest and least used fx... I digress, though... or perhaps its' because I've got "Cosying" looping while I type this? ;P
excellent.
I should have used some Thaw! If you think about the DSP behind noise reduction it's barely different from vocoding. Just using a piece of the whole as the modulator. And, weirdly, right after I tried NR for the first time (in Cool Edit, just like you) I read in some magazine how you could use NR as a weird sound fx. And yet I never have in a song til this day unless I did on one of the weirder ones on Biggie Pearl.

@Klemperer: I can't distinguish notes above C7 or so any better than anyone else can. The pitch is all squished and indistinct. Pitch is relative, though, and the sounds really high are basically just a smear. Some dog whistles are low enough to hear in that range and I can definitely see where they'd get a dog's attention, but the annoying thing is people would never tolerate high-pitched sounds they can actually hear so there's machine drones up in that range that bug the shit outta me. Refrigerators come to mind, they have crazy high-pitched chords coming off them sometimes. Luckily mammals inately tune out repetetive stimuli or we'd all go crazy from highway noise lol.

@Ugo: Cool, I'm grabbing it now!

runagate wrote:Luckily mammals inately tune out repetetive stimuli or we'd all go crazy
you sure about that? :)

and if i didn't already know, i'd guess from that post that you don't have kids. :hihi:

ugo wrote:I hope you don't mind runagate, but I was inspired to mess with this one a bit. :)
RUNAGATE-CosyingUpToPericynthian-Ugo-Remix.mp3
Cool, Ugo! Garage SmearTech!!

I'll d/l and have a listen to this one in just a bit…

pattonfreak1 wrote:Increase the Flash Gordon noise and put more science stuff around.
:lol:

"See big men sticking screw drivers into things! Turning them! AND ADJUSTING THEM! "

runagate wrote:
@Klemperer: I can't distinguish notes above C7 or so any better than anyone else can. The pitch is all squished and indistinct. Pitch is relative, though, and the sounds really high are basically just a smear. Some dog whistles are low enough to hear in that range and I can definitely see where they'd get a dog's attention, but the annoying thing is people would never tolerate high-pitched sounds they can actually hear so there's machine drones up in that range that bug the shit outta me. Refrigerators come to mind, they have crazy high-pitched chords coming off them sometimes. Luckily mammals inately tune out repetetive stimuli or we'd all go crazy from highway noise lol.

@Ugo: Cool, I'm grabbing it now!
Right, I can't even stand whole areas, industrial areas, I am hearing pretty high partials on a lot of it, and I am in a region of physical pain quite often

the extreme resonance of something like this, like I said, I have to turn it way down. I am NOT interested in going deaf. I don't know how much high-end hearing I have lost, not a lot I suspect as I started being cautious many years ago.

yeah, them refrigerators need to learn some new voicings, a better mix on that shit, it's too dissonant -
know what I mean?

Voidoid Surrealist wrote:I'll d/l and have a listen to this one in just a bit…

pattonfreak1 wrote:Increase the Flash Gordon noise and put more science stuff around.

"See big men sticking screw drivers into things! Turning them! AND ADJUSTING THEM! "
Great.... now I wanna get an inter-ositor.
Well, to the weenie-mobile!!! Weenie-man awaaaaaaay!!!

@jancivil - I do indeed neet to get in the habit of at least touching the eqs.
I peeked at the spectrum analyzer in BuzRizer and twiddled a bit but lost interest as I couldn't get the percussive elements to settle the way I wanted them to so I gave up, admittedly. Course, with an audience of 7, one of whom is bound to alter the song in some way (I heartily give my blessing to anyone who feels the need to do anything to that which I post here, anytime, no need to ask). Using some of the dsp processes that I do (wrongheaded vocoding, spectral tricks) I get spectral build-up and I honestly don't know by what means I could caress it into form better than I do, excpet the proper way which is to not make things that have stacks of resonance in them in the first place. But my sounds aren't "acoustic" sources, so I can't know what they'll sound like in the first place... I don't know. In the heat of creation I'm not good at figuring out how to do that particular technical tidbit, which of course is why it's good to study, learn your tools, and know what to do without having to consult engineering diagrams of your bomb.
I should return to it - I like the parts that go into this one more than enough to play with it more, despite the fact that I won't be developing the theme further due to the absurd amount of cpu the 3 rendered takes involve.
But I would like to take some of those sounds with me on stage.

@ugo - wow! that's extreme! I love the rhythmic breaks. I only got a chance to listen 3 times before I had to run off and get things done, but thanks, I can't believe you managed that with the available material. ;)

@voidoid - rofl, thanks for making me look like an ass laughing at a pic of myself in public at 6:30 am!

runagate wrote:(I heartily give my blessing to anyone who feels the need to do anything to that which I post here, anytime, no need to ask).
So, "Rufly Flesh Doubt" is a go?

pattonfreak1 wrote:
runagate wrote:(I heartily give my blessing to anyone who feels the need to do anything to that which I post here, anytime, no need to ask).
So, "Rufly Flesh Doubt" is a go?
Yeah, of course. I was really excited at the prospect of it.

Better change up the guitar and drums, though - I obviously didn't write those parts.

And I've always wanted to re-do it. I was literally scrambling to knock out some vocals in the hours leading up to packing up and flying away from Alaska after very nearly dying ;) You can imagine I'm not exactly happy with improvising the chorus and having it be totally out of tune.

Return to “Music Cafe”