ncql - Rest Here (DnB)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey guys, back again to drop on another track for critique. It's DnB based and I think you may enjoy it. As usual, I am open to any suggestions as I am continually looking to improve, thanks ^^. Here it is:
http://wegotanamp.com/garbagetruck/RestHere.mp3

Hey mate the track sounds allright, its got a few mix and sound problems. Sub bass sounds a little muddy to my ears. The top synths sound like they could use a bit of a band pass filter... something that doesnt sound nasal I know thats hard to do with bp... sound like the drums are way to crisp, maybe a bit of verb and a way slower attack on the compression, if you used it. also more velocity changes on the snr rolls so they don't sound as machine gunnish... cymbals could have a hard cut on the low freqs with an eq, and boost them all above 17 thou somewhere, cause they are dull...

Hope that wasn't too harsh. you asked for suggestions.

I do like the sound and vibe.

Cheeers

Kat

ckatrun411 wrote:Hey mate the track sounds allright, its got a few mix and sound problems. Sub bass sounds a little muddy to my ears. The top synths sound like they could use a bit of a band pass filter... something that doesnt sound nasal I know thats hard to do with bp... sound like the drums are way to crisp, maybe a bit of verb and a way slower attack on the compression, if you used it. also more velocity changes on the snr rolls so they don't sound as machine gunnish... cymbals could have a hard cut on the low freqs with an eq, and boost them all above 17 thou somewhere, cause they are dull...

Hope that wasn't too harsh. you asked for suggestions.

I do like the sound and vibe.

Cheeers

Kat
Thanks greatly for the comments but I guess my novice shows when I say I don't know about half of the things you mentioned :/ >.>. I work with FL and all I did was EQUO :/. Most of all though, I thank you for giving me some feedback to research with about mixing & sound because I really lack in that area ^^.

I kinda wonder if the vocal pad is necessary at all.
I can't hear the kick drum!

djastroboy wrote:I kinda wonder if the vocal pad is necessary at all.
Probably just my bad mixing ^^ lol

djastroboy wrote:I kinda wonder if the vocal pad is necessary at all.

Its muddy mate. he is a newbie

@ Ncql...

There is a lot too learn. i suggest take some small steps... Learn about velocity programming in midi, and also try and learn about compression.

:-)

I would not go on an eq binge till you had solid volume balancing down.

with that said, its all about practice, and you have an ear for music, so it will come quick.

Writing this as I listen...

Let's get started:

*pushes play*

Intro: Nice retro synth. :D

01:00: So far nice, it's changed up nicely, kind of wish the kick and snare were 'fuller'.

01:10: WTF is this noise? Sounds like a dying fm synth...nice, but needs some eq to keep my ears in tact...

01:34: FM is good in my book...like that. :D

01:56: Probably could've used a breakdown right about here...drop out the drums and have just the ride symbol...

02:16: ...which would have made sense with your fill right here. ;)

02:45: Kind of too many layered leads...just one lead, dude.

03:20: Now and then, change up the drums a bit...copy/paste the whole time? NOPE!

03:41: What is the trend with this board to do slow dnb? Hmmmm...maybe it just seems slow...but I've been on a 180+bpm kick as of late...

And then it just ends?!

Well, other than mixing issues, the main things I'm worried about are the multiple leads kind of dogging up on each other...make ONE the lead and the others drop back in volume or even with a lowpass filter to take their high end off so the MAIN lead can actually LEAD. Other concern is just the drum sound and programming...the drums aren't BAD sounding, they just need some beef, maybe a reverb on the snare or something (if you add reverb to the kick, make sure you cut it's low frequencies so that it doesn't muddy up things down on that end of the audio).

If you're a 'noob', you're showing much promise already...I think right now you should concentrate on the 'flow' of the song, in terms of composing...the technical stuff on the audio side of things is nice too, but I think the overall feel can override technical defficiencies...that's just my opinion, though.

Looking forward to hearing more...hopefully they'll be faster dnb pieces...hahaha

hseiken wrote:Writing this as I listen...

Let's get started:

*pushes play*

Intro: Nice retro synth. :D

01:00: So far nice, it's changed up nicely, kind of wish the kick and snare were 'fuller'.

01:10: WTF is this noise? Sounds like a dying fm synth...nice, but needs some eq to keep my ears in tact...

01:34: FM is good in my book...like that. :D

01:56: Probably could've used a breakdown right about here...drop out the drums and have just the ride symbol...

02:16: ...which would have made sense with your fill right here. ;)

02:45: Kind of too many layered leads...just one lead, dude.

03:20: Now and then, change up the drums a bit...copy/paste the whole time? NOPE!

03:41: What is the trend with this board to do slow dnb? Hmmmm...maybe it just seems slow...but I've been on a 180+bpm kick as of late...

And then it just ends?!

Well, other than mixing issues, the main things I'm worried about are the multiple leads kind of dogging up on each other...make ONE the lead and the others drop back in volume or even with a lowpass filter to take their high end off so the MAIN lead can actually LEAD. Other concern is just the drum sound and programming...the drums aren't BAD sounding, they just need some beef, maybe a reverb on the snare or something (if you add reverb to the kick, make sure you cut it's low frequencies so that it doesn't muddy up things down on that end of the audio).

If you're a 'noob', you're showing much promise already...I think right now you should concentrate on the 'flow' of the song, in terms of composing...the technical stuff on the audio side of things is nice too, but I think the overall feel can override technical defficiencies...that's just my opinion, though.

Looking forward to hearing more...hopefully they'll be faster dnb pieces...hahaha
Uhm, thanks lol

I have a question, when you were talking about leads, etc and making the other synths drop back so that you could make one (or your lead sound) sound evident, do you actively do that like throughout the song (changing the levels throughout the song)? I've never heard of that :/. Because I was thinking that moving sounds in and out at times was more of what to do, I dunno, your thoughts?

Uhm also, the song is 165bpm >.>; to be frank, I don't rarely hear 180bpm songs. I listen to a lot of Klute, Bungle, Marky, Influx, and London Electricity.

Ahh, and forgot to mention, yea the song is a wee short, i've been telling myself over and over to lengthen it but I always end up messing with other stuff >.>

Thanks Again
Last edited by ncql on Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

I have a lot of time on my hands but here's an update I guess, see what you think >.>. I took a lot of those tips into consideration about mastering; even if it takes a while, i'd like to make this song good with some help from you guys:
http://wegotanamp.com/garbagetruck/RHMasterTry.mp3

It still has the same "repetitive" beat as suggested, I haven't changed things in the track or the length, just making attempts to mix this.

mixing and mastering r 2 different thing :-)

still have some machine gunning on the snr rolls... its all about midi velocity programming...

- - - - - - - - ( imagine that is a one bar snr roll )

27 33 55 67 78 85 96 107 ( imagine these are the velocity values underneath each snr hit )

This mix sounds quite a bit more volume balanced. I think your efforts are excellent. Its a nice track. Take it slowly, it will come.

Relax

PeacE out

Kat

Very cool tune dude! Lots of mixing problems and that odd FM-y sound, but since you are new, I am more than sure that your mixes will improve considerably. I am still new to production myself (only been at it for about a year), but the hardest part were the first three months. After that its all gravy from there on. Just keep on rocking and have fun with it.

Return to “Music Cafe”